PDA

View Full Version : The ugly gonna be sorta rare Glock

Sturmgewehre
May 5, 2010, 09:45 PM
Yes, even Glock screws up. Lately they've made a couple of pistols that didn't do so well in sales and they were dropped from the product line.

The now infamous "fish gill" Glock wasn't a big hit, even with me. When I first saw one last year I thought Gaston had lost his ever loving mind. He had found a way to make the Glock even uglier than it was before... and that's impressive.

Then I heard Glock dropped the "fish gills" from the RTF and went back to the straight cuts. That was it, I had to have one.

So here it is:

http://intempus.smugmug.com/photos/858292092_jxeR3-L.jpg

As always, it's 100% reliable from round 1... seriously accurate and the RTF feels really nice.

My other "not so popular" Glock is my 21SF with the ambi mag release and 1913 rail. Yup... gotta love it. :)

Ainokea
May 5, 2010, 09:48 PM
Don't know why I like the "fish gills" slide serrations. But it seems to be just me. If anyone wants to sell a G17 fish gill upper i'd buy it from ya.

Sturmgewehre
May 5, 2010, 09:53 PM
You can't have mine, I love it. :)

JohnKSa
May 5, 2010, 10:00 PM
I can't tell the difference in feel with the curved serrations, but my wife who has hand strength issues says they're easier to grip and make it easier for her to rack the slide.

We both agree that the RTF texture is nice, but I can see that it might be hard on clothing for those who carry the gun.

Sturmgewehre
May 5, 2010, 10:04 PM
I can just barely tell the difference. The fish gills do have an ever so slight advantage in the bite department, but unless you're really-really trying to feel it, it's not that major. Maybe if my hands were covered in mud, water or other muck it would make more of a difference... not sure.

I like the unique appearance more than any improved functionality, either real or imagined.

Kreyzhorse
May 6, 2010, 06:47 AM
That's the first time I've seen the fish gills and....... they are pretty cool. I wouldn't go out and sell my Glock 22, but if I were in the market for a Gloci, I'd try to hunt one down. Very cool.

LordTio3
May 6, 2010, 07:44 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that these serrations are called "Scalloped Serrations" and they do tend to make gripping the slide much easier by design. I personally don't prefer the feel of the Glock RTF's, and an aquaintance of mine informed me that his RTF's finish began to wear down and was nearly smooth in less than a year. I haven't felt it personally, but I do trust this man.
To each his/her own. May turn out to be a collectable in 10 years.

~LT

Haifisch
May 6, 2010, 07:52 AM
I dont like the "fish gills", I have a G19 RTF2 with straight serrations.

booker_t
May 6, 2010, 08:05 AM
Nice OP, that gave me a laugh.

I don't like the look personally. Then again, maybe it would grow on me after a while. I didn't like the "new Thunderbird" from Ford until 6 or 7 years after they came out and my opinion started to change.

Also I am usually pretty happy with the basic grip surface, although the Talon Grip (or other style friction tape) material is nice as well, especially in less-than-ideal conditions. Have you had a chance to do direct comparison between the Glock RTF and friction tape?

CK Bigoldi
May 6, 2010, 10:39 AM
I love the Fish Gills. It has proven to be a conversation starter everytime I take my G19 shooting as well. I only wish they looked like this instead, they would be much easier to grip.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/pistols/RTF2-2-reverse.jpg

Sturmgewehre
May 6, 2010, 01:03 PM
Oh man, I want that 19. I have a RTF 19 on layaway at my local fun store but it's not a fish gill. I think I'll have to do some more digging until I find one.

I'm hording Gen 3 or earlier Glocks right now as I'm not a fan of the Gen 4 guns.

Sturmgewehre
May 6, 2010, 01:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that these serrations are called "Scalloped Serrations" and they do tend to make gripping the slide much easier by design.
I don't think Glock would call their design "fish gills", that's a nick name bestowed upon it by the shooting community and I don't think it's meant to be flattering.

As for the durability of the RTF, I don't know. This is my first one. It's really not all that important as I won't use it as a carry gun. It's more of a safe queen. I carry 1911's. If I were to carry a Glock, I would take one of my generic pistols as I'm not a huge fan of the RTF grip in general. I would imagine against bare skin it would act like sand paper. I don't always wear a t-shirt under my cover garment.