PDA

View Full Version : Beretta PX4 .45 ACP Opinions

TexRanger
May 5, 2010, 01:41 PM
Does anyone have any personal experience with the PX4 .45 ACP and any opinions you would care to relate? The pistol certainly does not seem to get as much coverage as many of the other .45 standards (1911, xd, H&K, FNP, etc.). I read a review by Patrick Sweeney who seems to like the pistol but would appreciate personal comments.

Thanks

Clevinger
May 5, 2010, 05:01 PM
I really like it. I own a Sig 220 in .45 as well, and the next .45 I plan to buy is the PX4. I like them better than XD's and glocks in the .45.

Leejack
May 5, 2010, 05:13 PM
I don't own one but I will say this:

They look way cool! I mean way cool!

Lee

drrpg01
May 5, 2010, 05:28 PM
I own a px4 9 and have nothing but good things to say about it. It is extremely accurate and reliable. Don't really know how to describe it, but Beretta offers some of the smoothest mechanisms out there. The ergonomics of it are amazing - feels like a natural extension of the arm. The only thing out there in poly that I like better is the S&W M&P, but just by a hair. I have not shot the model in 45, but I have heard nothing but good things about it.

roman3
May 5, 2010, 06:02 PM
The only thing lacking in the PX4 in 45 is capacity.

Glock, XD, FN and others were able to go more than 10 rounds...

other than that the PX4 is a super quality weapon.

Sixer
May 5, 2010, 08:24 PM
I recently made a holster for a friend's PX4 9mm. I didn't have a "dummy" gun so I had to borrow his for a few days. I gotta say that I was very fond of the pistol. I didn't get to actually shoot it, but I really liked the look and feel of it.

Being a Glock, Sig, HK, fan... I found myself wondering the same thing - Why don't I hear more about this gun?

scottperk
May 6, 2010, 06:21 AM
Is this PX4 what they call the STORM ?

The 1st plastic gun I ever looked twice at.
Like cars and motorcycles, them Italians really know some stylin.
Does it come with long barrel option and DA/SA mode ?
I cant choke down the Glock DAO striker type function.

see attached

roman3
May 6, 2010, 07:35 AM
The full size PX4 Storm comes in 4 trigger/safety config's

Models

F = Standard DA/SA (like the 92F) with a slide mounted decocker/safety (this version is the flagship of the line and tends to be the most common in stores)

G = Standard DA/SA (like the 92G) with a slide mounted decocker lever (no safety)

D = Standard DAO (like the 92D) with no safety or decocker levers, has a shortened flush hammer. A longer consistent trigger pull.

C = Constant Action (similar to a Glock or Walther P99 QA) a shorter consistent trigger pull, no safety or decocking levers, has a shortened hammer

Not sure if the 45 comes in all 4 config's but the 9 and 40's do.

DrBundy
May 6, 2010, 08:58 AM
PX4 Storm 45 ACP Review (http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35970)

The thread is 2 years old, and many of the picture links are dead, but the text is still alive, and a simple search will get you all the pics you need or want. This gun in .40 is my daily carry weapon. I have my reasons for carrying the .40 over the .45, but it's a personal choice more than anything. The 45 version of this is actually a bit easier to control than my 40, as the 40 has a fair amount of muzzle flip. As far as craftsmanship, well you can't go wrong with an Italian design. Beretta didn't re-invent the wheel with this gun, but they certainly put some nice rims on it. I'm not a huge Glock fan (even though I own a few) but I'd put this gun up against a Glock, an XD, and the FNP. Can't go wrong with any of them (well...maybe the Glock :D) and with pricing around $550 it's a relative bargain. For my hands, the PX4 was more "natural" than the XD or the FNP.

~A

mikejonestkd
May 6, 2010, 09:22 AM
My LEO neighbor has a .45 PX4 as a duty sidearm and we have spent a bit of time with it on the range. It is easy to shoot well, has nice controls and is accurate. I like the way it feels and the way it naturally points. All in all it is a well made handgun and I'd consider getting one if I didn't already have my neighbor's as a free sample to borrow...LOL

(BH)
May 6, 2010, 11:08 AM
I cant choke down the Glock DAO striker type function.

I think you have something mixed up. PX4s come in four diferent configurations, but they are all hammer fired. You can get a DA/SA. I have the type "f" (DA/SA) in .40 and absolutely love it.

Most owners will agree, the PX4 is a very underrated little gem.

TexRanger
May 6, 2010, 12:12 PM
I greatly appreciate the excellent comments. The PX4 .45 is a pretty sweet pistol and I agree, it has style.

Thanks again.

NYshooter
May 7, 2010, 09:11 AM
If you guys like the standard PX4 .45 you should also check out the SD version, even nicer!

LOUcifer
May 7, 2010, 10:17 AM
They look way cool! I mean way cool!

+1

a lil SyFy even :)

roman3
May 7, 2010, 12:56 PM
If you guys like the standard PX4 .45 you should also check out the SD version, even nicer!

Yep, but unfortunately it also tends to have a much (less) nicer price.

wonderfvl
May 8, 2010, 07:54 AM
Having sold my Colt 1911 & Sig p220 and just having a snub .357 revolver by the bedside, seeing the PX4 rekindled my interest and really made me want another .45. Excited & full of anticipation of acquiring this new cool looking gun, I went to the range. I rented the HK45, XD, PX4, & some others. I’m not a great shooter, but I always hit the paper, and was fairly good with my p220 & 1911. With the PX4, I couldn’t hit anything. Then the XD printed tightest groups I’ve ever shot. So I bought the XD45c. After about two years, my XD45c still amazes me today. I’d recommend shooting before buying.

fivepaknh
June 9, 2010, 09:43 AM
I bought the Px4 SC 9mm last week. Being a lefty I like the ambidextrous decocker/safety, the size of the gun, and the 13+1 capacity. I mainly carry a Kahr K9 9mm, but the high capacity drew me to the Beretta. I took both the K9 and the Px4 to the range yesterday and was a little disappointed when firing the two guns side by side. The groups weren't as tight on the Beretta and it hits about 4 inches left of my point of aim. The higher axis of the barrel gives it more snap than the K9. I still like the gun, but won't carry it until I take it to a smith and fix the sites. I'll take it to the range one more time before I do that.

Leejack
June 9, 2010, 10:16 AM
For many years I have been a fan of the 92. I always thought that Beretta had one of the, if not the, best looking auto out there.

Then came the age of plastic. Only recently have I started to like the look of plastic guns.

Low and behold, I spotted a PX4 at the range not long ago.

I must say, the Italians do indeed have style. That gun is flat out cool!;)

Lee