PDA

View Full Version : How do you chamber the first round?

spacecoast
May 4, 2010, 07:35 AM
OK, here's my first poll - I'm curious about typical expectations for semi-auto operation...

ZeSpectre
May 4, 2010, 07:55 AM
I'm a lefty (actually I shoot with either hand)

I have zero interest in learning a different method for each type of firearm so I go with the one that works regardless of hand or firearm...Slingshot.

rickyrick
May 4, 2010, 08:01 AM
Voted prefer to sling shot, but I sometimes use the slide release.

dyl
May 4, 2010, 08:09 AM
a crisply released slingshot. thinking about the physics, should be more reliable / more force as long as I do my part.

hoytinak
May 4, 2010, 08:16 AM
I was taught to slingshot the slide so that's the way I've always done it...that it till I got my Kahr P9. Kahr says to use the slide release but I tried to slingshot it anyways and about half the time it won't feed that way so I have to use the slide release on the P9 if I want it to feed reliably. All my others I still slingshot though.

AcridSaint
May 4, 2010, 08:34 AM
I don't have a problem with the slide release, but I do have a problem with companies deciding that my method isn't correct. I am generally only interested in autos that work the way I prefer to load, hand over slide.

teeroux
May 4, 2010, 08:34 AM
I do both. I like to keep in good practice with the release and make sure it works well with my ammo. Never know when you might have to do that one handed reload. Ninja cloak on.:p

warrior poet
May 4, 2010, 09:04 AM
I always use the slingshot because I was trained that it works everytime, all the time. Reloading is (them shooting at me, and me unable to shoot back time) a bad time, so I try to keep it as simple and easy as possible. I train one way and one way only to build the muscle memory to be able to function under stress. Just my two slugs o' copper.

SVO
May 4, 2010, 09:34 AM
I should sit this one out, but.... with a certain Kahr, I'm sling shottin'. Everything else,, slide release.

SmokyBaer
May 4, 2010, 09:44 AM
First shot of the day is always a slingshot. First shot of the next mag is "usually" the slide release because of the slide already locked back. Depends on how many rounds in a volley before next shooter but the cycle starts again once clear and rear of the firing line observing.

LOUcifer
May 4, 2010, 09:55 AM
Well being that my action is always open before/after/during shooting at the range...I use the slide release.

Have I "slingshot" before...sure...after a buddy drops the empty magazine and closes the action at the range (which drives me nuts)...I prefer to see an empty chamber/open slide/turned out cylinders etc.

Whirlwind06
May 4, 2010, 09:56 AM
Slingshot, I believe that if I ever need to reload under stress I want the muscle memory using major motor skills not my thumb finding a small bit of metal.

EdInk
May 4, 2010, 09:56 AM
I do what the designers recommend. I think if they are clever enough to develop and test the gun, they probably figured out the most effective way to chamber it too.

Most are slingshot but my Kahr is done with the release.

The Great Mahoo
May 4, 2010, 01:03 PM
I tend to do both.

On the range, I tend to use the slide release. The slide is already back, I slide a magazine in, let it find its way into position the way it is supposed to, just like it does with every cycle.

At home, loading up when I get dressed, I tend to sling-shot.* No need to pull the slide, lock it, then insert a magazine. Simple, gets me some training on both.

* I always clear my gun when it is not in it's holster or on the firing line at the range. When it comes off, the chamber(s) get cleared and the magazine goes back into the gun, sans round chambered. In the case of my revolvers, the rounds get put in a spare speed-loader next to the gun.

booker_t
May 4, 2010, 02:01 PM
I mostly shoot Glocks, so it's all slingshot. Anyone who tells you they use the "slide release" on their Glock is lying.

Why?

Because Glocks don't have a slide release. Yes, there's a little button that's used to lock the slide back, and if you press it down, it releases the slide and in doing so, it can chamber a round. But that's not the intent. The part is called a "slide stop" and while there are "extended slide stops" to make it easier to lock/release the slide, in my book I don't think that actually changes their purpose or name to "slide release."

A bit of semantics and hair splitting, but it is what it is (the clip vs. magazine police will agree).

That said, do I practice using the slide lock to chamber a round on my Glock? Yes I do. I also practice the rear sight snag. I also practice various racking techniques, from overhand to rear pinch to the underhand front slide pinch (which is my favorite method of chambering a 1911, so slick!).

Firepower!
May 4, 2010, 03:07 PM
slingshot when loading the gun initially, but every subsequant magazine is loaded with slide release since it quicker.

Now, it got me thinking as to which gun 'requires' one to use the slide release on first round.

My objective is to adopt method which easy for me and quick.

B18C5-EH2
May 4, 2010, 03:12 PM
HAHA! Awesome poll!

I voted for the one that states "slingshot unless manufacturer states slide release" because I own a Glock and two Kahrs.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/kahrmanual.jpg

I tend to follow Kahr's manual and their spoken suggestions via their tech support when you call them and speak to an actual person about it.

I am not surprised to see the other Kahr owners also echoing using only the slide release on their Kahr Arms pistols, but slingshotting others they might own.

w_houle
May 4, 2010, 03:31 PM
I'll thumb it if and when I can, but otherwise it doesn't really confront me as an issue that I give much thought about.

Brian Pfleuger
May 4, 2010, 03:34 PM
Glock 33.

Slide release 95% of the time.

RT
May 4, 2010, 03:36 PM
Slingshot if slide is forward, slide release with thumb if slide is locked
back--- wanna be able to chamber a round with one hand.

mikejonestkd
May 4, 2010, 03:37 PM
Slide release 90+% of the time, unless there is a good reason to slingshot the slide...

IanS
May 4, 2010, 04:39 PM
I've used autopistols that did not chamber reliably from slide lock empty by using the slide lock lever. Ever since I switched to overhand (make weak hand like flippers) slingshot method many years ago never had this problem since.

Never owned or shot a Kahr.

Speedy Warrior
May 4, 2010, 05:13 PM
I slingshot my Glock and do both on my Beretta.

DanThaMan1776
May 4, 2010, 05:27 PM
I train the same way.. all the time.. with all of my pistols. That way I everything is constant and I can work out my kinks and determine the best pistol. Slingshot requires the least thought and motor skills to do. That stuff counts in stressful situations.

areilly
May 4, 2010, 09:41 PM
I always use the slide release. I shoot mostly HKs, and they all have big easily accessible slide release levers. It's also quicker and requires less movement.

the357plan
May 4, 2010, 10:04 PM
Mostly because I'm getting old and weak. The springs on my 10 mm Kimber are just too darn stiff. So I prefer to use moon clips and shoot my S&W 610. Although, my Kimber 1911 is easyer to conceal.

zombieslayer
May 5, 2010, 12:05 AM
Depends on the ergonomics of the firearm. Whatever gets it into battery safest and most efficiently.

PSP
May 5, 2010, 05:09 AM
I use both methods, depending on which position the slide is in when I load a magazine. If it is locked to the rear, I use the slide release. If the slide is forward, then I slingshot. In doing this I quess I'm following my HK manual, that says use either method, just "don't ride the slide".

Even my Kahrs seem to load just fine this way. :cool:

WoofersInc
May 5, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'm left handed. I use the sligshot method since I don't have to change my firing grip to try and reach the slide release with my trigger finger. Plus it makes training easier since I am doing the same movement all the time, no matter what pistol i am using.

Shadi Khalil
May 5, 2010, 06:47 PM
I prefer to sling shot but one of my carry guns is a Kahr so I'll use the slide release if need be.

varoadking
May 5, 2010, 07:20 PM
If you have an HK P30, all you have to do is slam home a full magazine from slide lock, and it will chamber the round itself...

LeadFistExpress
May 5, 2010, 07:33 PM
It seems to me like there is an option missing, namely "Slide release unless the pistol does not have one."

I use the slide release exclusively if the pistol has one, but for my PPK-S I have to sling shot it since it does not have a slide release. My other two semi-autos (Springfield XD-40 and Kahr K40) both have a slide release and they have never failed to load properly when used.

troy_mclure
May 5, 2010, 07:52 PM
like so!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8475ocNvzw&feature=fvw

lol

i generally use the release, unless im using my p32.

44 AMP
May 5, 2010, 08:04 PM
Either, depending on the gun. I suppose I "slingshot" my Luger, because there isn't any lever to use. And I do it with the Desert Eagle, because its waaaay easier than trying to use the lever.

On a 1911 or a Sig, I generally use the lever. And I don't use either on my C96, the bolt closes when you take the stripper clip out!:D

Fishslayer
May 6, 2010, 04:12 PM
ummm.... you left one out. "I use the slide release because... well... because..."

When I'm not on the line with the weapon pointed downrange, the mag is out and the slide is back.

Why would I release the slide, insert the mag and then slingshot?:confused:

mrnobody
May 6, 2010, 05:31 PM
I've always trained and practiced with slingshot method. Sometimes I do hit the release but 99 times out of 100 it's a slingshot. Fine motor skills go to heck in the heat of things so hitting that little nub on your Glock or Sig might be tough when you're shaky.

orionengnr
May 6, 2010, 06:46 PM
If you would limit you response choices to:

a) slingshot
b) slide release

without all the biased editorializing, you would get a more accurate response. I cannot pick any of your four choices, because none of them is applicable or accurate.

FWIW, if you had used the two above choices, mine would have been "b".

spacecoast
May 6, 2010, 07:18 PM
FWIW, if you had used the two above choices, mine would have been "b".

Then you would have been in the minority. This, like all polls, was a "pick the best fit for you". I'm sorry if you perceived bias, there was none intended.

Why would I release the slide, insert the mag and then slingshot?

If the slide's back, you don't have to release it to slingshot (at least that's my experience). Just pull the slide back all the way and the release will release.

ElectricHellfire
May 6, 2010, 09:08 PM
Slide release but also slingshot when I feel like it. 60/40

losijon
May 6, 2010, 09:08 PM
well my father in law was the main instructor for the MCSO in AZ and he taught me to use the slide not the slide release so I have always done and prefer that.

KyJim
May 6, 2010, 10:11 PM
I've got a problem with the question. Are you talking about inserting a loaded mag into a gun with a closed chamber? If so, the only way is to slingshot it the first shot. I suppose you could lock the slide back, insert loaded mag, and hit the slide release but I've never heard of anyone doing it this way.

Or are talking about the slide locking back on the last shot, inserting new mag, and chambering the round?

Like others, I also have a problem with the editorializing in the answers. It's called push polling and is roundly condemned.

spacecoast
May 7, 2010, 04:31 AM
Are you talking about inserting a loaded mag into a gun with a closed chamber? If so, the only way is to slingshot it the first shot. I suppose you could lock the slide back, insert loaded mag, and hit the slide release but I've never heard of anyone doing it this way.

No ambiguity was intended (meaning that it was intended to apply to all situations - loading the first time, reloading, etc.), but you may have discovered an issue that the "slide release" advocates could answer better than I.

As I understand it the folks who always use a slide release do it exactly the way you haven't heard of (not that I would either), but some brands of guns won't chamber reliably the conventional way. I suppose the slide release users might say that you should never insert a loaded mag into a gun that you had not verified as having an empty chamber (leaving the slide locked back) but that's just a guess.

LordTio3
May 7, 2010, 06:32 AM
Personally, when I reload after the slide reaches lock-back on my carry weapon Glock 19, I insert my magazine quite vigorously. It is how I was trained to ensure that the magazine is seated properly in the weapon.

And I am unsure if this is an error in manufacturing, but when I slap in the magazine as stoutly as I do, it forces my slide release to actuate and the slide comes forward instantly, reliably chambering a round. This has never failed to work for me when it is the outcome that I intend, but when I do not use this method, (i.e. casual shooting/non-tactical training) I usually use the slide release lever. I have no trouble with the stock controls on the Glock and have never had an issue with them being a bit unreliable.

Though I am curious as to whether or not my function is meant to be possible. I really do seat the magazine quite stoutly, but have never seen any damage done to the pistol or magazine because of it.

Thoughts?
~LT

B18C5-EH2
May 7, 2010, 07:07 AM
Look spacecoast's directed questions/poll choices stem from discussions/borderline arguments that he and I get into any time Kahr Arms pistols are being discussed. I'm not saying that's his lone motivation for this entire poll, but I know it was a contributing factor.

Unless the manufacturer explicitly expresses the need for using only the slide release to chamber the first round then there's not really a a "right" or "wrong" way to do it. It comes down to personal preference.

...but if you own a pistol such as a Kahr Arms pistol, and it explicitly details using only the slide release (not sling shotting the slide) in their current Operating Instructions manual, then you should possibly follow their instructions:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/IMG_5793.jpg

See I didn't just make up the rules. I just repeat the instructions that I've found to be most useful when a new Kahr owner asks questions about it.

Now since having these discussions I wanted to try my PM9 again to see if it would reliably chamber its first round by "sling shotting" the slide. My PM9 came with two magazines - one standard 6 rounder, and one +1 7 rounder - and when I first got the pistol it absolutely would not chamber its first round by sling shotting the slide if I were using the 7 round magazine.

I don't know if shooting it has helped or not, but the pistol can now be "sling shotted" with either magazine to chamber its first round. I did not fire the pistol after sling shotting to chamber the first round though - it looked to be fully in battery, but who knows? I am not saying that this is how I will chamber the first round when loading the pistol for carry duty - just wanted to see if it would even work at all. I've tried sling shotting the slide numerous times with less than capacity magazines and it's no problem chambering the following rounds. This is good to know in the event of a jam during a time when you really need the pistol to chamber the next round.

Before my PM40 graduates to carry duty I will also attempt chambering its first rounds by sling shotting just to see if it works. I have not even attempted it thus far because the stated instructions from Kahr work just fine.

Also I've stated in numerous other Kahr topics that if a Kahr will not reliably chamber its first round of a fully loaded magazine by sling shotting it is not operator error. Trying to operate the pistol while using a method that flies in the face of its manufacturer's very instructions (sling shotting the slide to chamber the first round) seems more like operator error to me.

;)

spacecoast
May 7, 2010, 07:17 AM
B18 -

Very fairly stated, and again my intent was not to bias this poll in any way, however it is difficult to come up with any type of poll that cannot be perceived as biased by some. It is gratifying to see that there has been a pretty high number of responses on this one, and that opinions/expectations vary.

B18C5-EH2
May 7, 2010, 07:41 AM
Well ultimately you started the poll, so the choices should have been based on what you wanted to see anyways, right?

I imagine if someone else wants to start a poll with just two choices he could certainly do so.

spacecoast
May 7, 2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I wonder if it would split 70/30 or some other ratio...

It's interesting that your PM9 now appears to chamber successfully using the slingshot. I guess it's easier for Kahr to recommend use of the slide release, without mentioning that the slingshot may work after XXX rounds, because they can't easily predict how many rounds it takes to loosen up enough for the slingshot. That would vary some by pistol and ammo used I'm sure.

cougar gt-e
May 7, 2010, 08:41 AM
Slingshot, I believe that if I ever need to reload under stress I want the muscle memory using major motor skills not my thumb finding a small bit of metal.

This argument goes both ways. If you have muscle memory of pressing that bit of metal, then it will be how you do it under stress too.

I also wonder, does your carry gun not lock back when the mag is empty? If it does, then under stress (fire fight where you've shot till empty) the gun will REQUIRE you to press that little bit of metal. Unless you first press that bit of metal dropping the slide forward before you insert the new mag and then have to rack the slide.:rolleyes:

Finally, most guns are hard to load a full mag with the slide closed. The mag spring has to compress a wee bit more and that often takes an insert + slap with the palm of the weak hand to make sure it's seated fully. Presonally, I like my muscles to remember how to perform the task with the fewest motions in the shortest time. Each gun is different, so the method may vary by firearm.

To answer the OP's question, I normally take the gun out of the case, pull and lock the slide back to inspect for a loaded condition, a quick closer look to insure it is all in tip top shape, insert the full mag and finally trip the slide release.

spacecoast
May 7, 2010, 10:25 AM
the gun will REQUIRE you to press that little bit of metal

Cougar -

Not really, with most pistols a locked-back slide will release if you slingshot it and relieve the pressure on the slide release. Try it, you might like it ;)

LordTio3
May 7, 2010, 10:48 AM
My biggest worry about the argument...

"Your fine-motor skills will be "shot" when under stress; and you may not be able to actuate the slide release lever..."

is...

How do you expect to get the magazine out of the weapon?
That's kind of a "fine-motor-movement" as well...

Most modern semi-auto handguns are designed for the operator to be able to use all of the controls with minimal changing of their grip on the weapon. So let me ask this question to those who use this argument;
How confident are you that you can actuate a small control to eject the magazine? It should be very high because you train that action every time you reload.
Those shooters who use the lever every time they reload have just about as much chance of doing that properly as they do properly ejecting the magazine in the first place.

Now as far as reliability and feed-issues with various weapons, that has to be taken on a case-by-case basis. I've never owned a Kahr. Seems silly that they couldn't get that whole "personal choice" thing down when reloading for what you pay for the weapon.

~LT

bikerbill
May 7, 2010, 12:04 PM
I picked "read the manual." I use slingshot for all my autos -- except my Kahr PM9 ... Kahr says use the slide release and they're right, it always loads that way, but often doesn't if I try to slingshot ...

B18C5-EH2
May 7, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'm home today so I decided to check and see if my Kahr Arms PM40 would chamber the first round of a full magazine by sling shotting the slide.

It will NOT.

I have three magazines for it - standard five round, +1 six round, and +2 seven round magazines and none of them would allow me to chamber the first round by sling shotting the slide.

Most often the slide simply locks back. When this occurs I drop the magazine, pull the slide back a bit further and lock it open with the slide release lever. Meaning the slide locks back on something other than the slide stop lever itself.

The few times I was actually able to cycle the slide completely without it locking back it would not go completely forward and into battery.

Again perhaps it is a byproduct of Kahr's tightness in their pistols and/or magazines, and perhaps like my PM9 it will ease over time. All I know is that if I lock the slide back, insert the magazine, and release the slide using only the slide stop it chambers the first round in a fully loaded mag with zero faults.

Also when attempting to slingshot the slide (on the PM40 I mean, as well as the PM9) it does seem to chamber rounds from a magazine without fault so long as there is at least one less round than capacity. This is comforting to know so if in the event I'm shooting and there is a jam I should have no issues clearing a jam and chambering the next round without having to start fresh with the slide locked open. That would suck.

When shooting I certainly do not slingshot the slide - even on my Glock 39. When the magazine is empty, and the slide locks back I simply drop mag, insert new mag, release the slide with the lever alone and it's back to shooting. The Glock 39 has an extended slide stop lever due to its slightly thicker slide, so it's very easy to manipulate in order to release the slide. I can see how the flat standard ones might make a person simply pull back on the slide to release it.

BigJimP
May 7, 2010, 05:21 PM
I shoot a variety of 1911's ( Wilson, Baer, Kimber ) - and a few Sigs ( 226's, 239's, an X-Five ) .....and I prefer to slingshot them closed ( and they all work fine that way ) ....

but occasionally, I will reach for the slide release ( and I've never had it fail either that I recall ).

usmcgundog
May 7, 2010, 09:21 PM
I use the slingshot method.
That's the way i was trained. Hammer it home.

cougar gt-e
May 7, 2010, 10:37 PM
Cougar -

Not really, with most pistols a locked-back slide will release if you slingshot it and relieve the pressure on the slide release. Try it, you might like it

True -- I'll stand corrected (or at least modified).

However, why use 2 hands when a simple flick of the thumb will get the job done and put (or keep) the sights on target the whole time?

orrwdd
May 10, 2010, 10:46 AM
I do both. If the slide is down on an empty chamber then I SlingShot. If the slide is locked back already, then I use the slide release.

Most auto's should be designed to allow both methods.

Bill

Model12Win
April 21, 2014, 07:39 PM
None of the above?

I like to use the slide release if the gun works well with that method and had a nice, positive release.

I use the slingshot for guns without a good release or for new guns that I haven't shot before.

PSP
April 22, 2014, 05:55 AM
Four years later and my answer, "Both", is still good. Funny how some things just never change. ;) Even all of my Kahrs go both ways. :o

Shadi Khalil
April 22, 2014, 06:37 AM
Sling shot. Being required to use the slide stop is what ruined Kahr's for me.

mavracer
April 22, 2014, 07:32 AM
The only gun that I manually lock the slide back load a mag and drop the slide to chamber the first is my PM9, my CW45 works fine to slingshot. So I guess technicly I always use the slingshot method to load the first round, unless the manual says to use the slide stop. On a reload I always use the slide release if present.

Marty8613
April 22, 2014, 08:19 AM
Really it depends on the gun. I typically use the slide release, because that is how I was taught, BUT, I am training my wife right now and slide releases are hard for her. I now leave the guns open and teach her to release the slide by pulling back the slide and slingshotting. It is easier to release the slide by slingshotting than the manual release for those with smaller hands or weaker hands. She can stiff arm just fine. I am growing to prefer this method, it is a bit more satisfying of a feel.

Oddly, the gun she wants, doesn't even lock back. Slingshot only. DB380SL, check it out.

twobit
April 22, 2014, 08:57 AM
Beretta 92 FS (duty gun). Slide release 99.9% of the time. Sometimes your other hand is busy or could be damaged, so train for slide release but know how to slingshot also.

Will Beararms
April 22, 2014, 09:04 AM
Slingshot is preferred but in a manure hit the fan scenario, I will avail myself of the most practical method. I will not own a pistol that cannot be charged with the slingshot method. To me, the idea that you cannot slingshot a Kahr is not acceptable. YMMV

cdbeagle
April 22, 2014, 01:25 PM
I always slingshot. I don't own a Kahr. I was taught that the slide release should only be used as a slide stop.

RX-79G
April 22, 2014, 11:41 PM
People teaching to not use the slide stop is based on unreliable guns and some disproven theories about pistol mechanics.

1. The Army now teaches slide release instead of slingshot. Why? Proven greater reliability in the field. That's based on a lot of real world use with battle weapons, not range prima donnas.

2. The slide release is the only reasonable way to reload a gun one handed, which is pretty important if you think that a real fight might involve you getting hurt, too. So you ought to practice finding and using the release.

3. Pushing a lever is not a "fine motor skill", any more than release a mag or pulling a trigger. Slingshotting appears to be a fine motor skill - see 1.

4. We all know how to slingshot - slide manipulation is something we practice constantly loading, clearing, etc. So using that skill exclusively is just bad training in light of 2.

5. Being comfortable with the slide release is also important for clearing ride over feed jams.

So learn to love the slide release. Lord Browning put it there for a reason - don't let bad late 20th century human engineering theories and instruction manuals that ignore the "extended slide stop" scare you away from using the controls on your gun.

shaunpain
April 23, 2014, 03:43 AM
There will be no right or wrong answer here and clearly we can see from the evidence posted that Kahrs will not chamber if you sling shot the slide. Truthfully, that's a bit shocking and would keep me away from owning one, it is what it is. If you're willing to live with that and using the slide stop as a release is your preferred method of returning to battery, no one has anything to say about that. Yes, if you can only use one hand, naturally the slide stop is incredibly useful. I just don't believe that it makes it necessary if two hands are in action. Personally, I find it incredibly cumbersome to get a good hold on those little buttons which seem far too small with little purchase (especially if your thumb is wet) with either thumb with any grip. I know I would never even attempt to use it in a gunfight as I'd be back in action much quicker with a slingshot.

mavracer
April 23, 2014, 07:21 AM
I know I would never even attempt to use it in a gunfight as I'd be back in action much quicker with a slingshot.
Competition shows us that using slingshot on a reload is the slower method, no top competitor in IDPA/IPSC/USPSA that I've ever seen slingshots. If slingshotting a reload was faster they would.
And that's the reason I have no issues with my Kahr, since it stays loaded and I will only need to charge it again when it's at slide lock.;)

TunnelRat
April 23, 2014, 10:05 AM
Competition shows us that using slingshot on a reload is the slower method, no top competitor in IDPA/IPSC/USPSA that I've ever seen slingshots. If slingshotting a reload was faster they would.

If competition was everything my EDC would have a red dot on the top.

Good thing we brought this four year old thread back from the dead, haven't seen this debate in all of a month.

zombietactics
April 23, 2014, 10:10 AM
I use an option not listed: Overhand "powerstroke" ... which is NOT the same thing as "slingshot". :cool:

mavracer
April 23, 2014, 01:17 PM
If competition was everything my EDC would have a red dot on the top.
Your EDC has a slide stop, competition shows it's faster.
Are you saying if your EDC had a red dot that you'd choose to not use it?

TunnelRat
April 23, 2014, 01:25 PM
Your EDC has a slide stop, competition shows it's faster.

I'm saying I don't give a hoot what competition says. Most firearm schools in existence today will recommend the slingshot or overhand method for self defense. But we're all free men. Do as you please.

mavracer
April 23, 2014, 02:37 PM
I'm saying I don't give a hoot what competition says. Most firearm schools in existence today will recommend the slingshot or overhand method for self defense.
I don't care if you load one from a 03A3 stripper clip because it's the rage.
Unfortunatly in the day we live in some of the more prevelant firearms are made as cheaply as possible which has them equiped with soft stamped steel slide stops that won't take normal usage and since one of these brands is the one all the Kool kids use, so the Kool kids teach slingshot.
But bottom line you're not using the faster method of getting your gun back in the fight which is why I made my comment that the using the slide stop is faster;) because in my original post which your ignoring the poster said.

"I'd be back in action much quicker with a slingshot"

Metal god
April 24, 2014, 01:01 AM
I was told awhile back there is no slide release . There is a a slide lock though .I'd have to go look but most if not all my manuals state that part on the gun is a slide lock and don't say it's a slide release . I sling shot even when the slide is locked back .

I was thinking real hard on getting a Kahr for my next hand gun . Thanks to this thread that is no longer an option . I don't want to have to lock the slide back before I insert a mag then only use the slide lock to release the slide . What about a misfire . You can't just rack the slide to eject the bad round and chamber the next . What's up with that ?? according to the manual you must lock the slide back first then release it with the slide lock to fix that problem . I assume the Kahr manual states never do the Tap, Rack , bang method to clear your fire from any malfunction ?? I would never want a hand gun that would need the extra steps to clear as the Kahr appears to need .

If you can Tap , Rack , Bang a Kahr . How is that any different then a quick sling shot ??

RX-79G
April 24, 2014, 01:15 AM
It isn't all Kahrs. Miniture polymer guns are like that, not all of them.

Many, many guns have honest to God slide releases. The manual for HK, Beretta and Colt all invite the user to release the slide with that huge external lever.

Glock says you shouldn't, then provides extended levers to not release from.:rolleyes:

Not using the slide release is a very modern "innovation".

Brotherbadger
April 24, 2014, 01:49 AM
I slingshot probably 80% of the time. It's just the way i always have done it. I have no problems with using the slide release, but i usually don't use it.

kcub
April 24, 2014, 05:03 AM
Related question, is it ever ok to manually slip a round into the chamber and then release the slide? Or does it depend on the make/model?

I see people do this all the time with shotguns; pumps or autos. I've never done it, just wondrin'. Seems like it would be asking for a broken extractor but then you could say the same about shotguns.

TunnelRat
April 24, 2014, 08:05 AM
I don't care if you load one from a 03A3 stripper clip because it's the rage.
Unfortunatly in the day we live in some of the more prevelant firearms are made as cheaply as possible which has them equiped with soft stamped steel slide stops that won't take normal usage and since one of these brands is the one all the Kool kids use, so the Kool kids teach slingshot.

Sigh, where to begin. Besides your derision of a technique simply because it's popular (which is childish) there are reasons for using those methods that aren't because the slide stop on a Glock will shear off (something I've never personally seen).

I own multiple firearms from different manufacturers. Many of these firearms have notably different layouts in terms of where the slide stop/release is located. Rather than build the muscle memory of where the slide releases are located, I choose to use the method where everything is the same. That is the slide is generally in the same location on all semiautomatic pistols.

Besides muscle memory, using the slingshot or overhand method pulls the slide back farther than releasing from the slide stop and compresses the recoil spring more. This gives the slide more force when going forward, allowing easier chambering of cartridges. While this likely wouldn't be an issue in 999/1000 cases, on a weapon that might be fouled or dirty it's not a bad idea.

Lastly, let's not forget that releasing the slide using the slingshot or overhand method has been suggested for decades, long before your dreaded "tacticool" crowd came around. And it's not just Glocks. The vaunted Beretta 92 and SIG P226 have manuals suggesting the same thing.

In competition tenths of a second make the difference between winning and losing. No doubt time is critical in saving your life as well. But if I am reloading in a life or death scenario I pray I got to cover. I would argue that using the slingshot or overhand method allows for the potential of more reliable chambering of cartridges. Now in competition if for some reason reason the slide stop doesn't work or the gun doesn't chamber properly you clear the malfunction and go on. In competition it's still worth the miniscule chance of a malfunction because frankly no one is shooting back at you. In defending my life I prefer to minimize any possible risk. If it makes me a few tenths of a second slower I can accept that. If you choose not to I can understand. But don't write off a technique simply because you're biased against the people using it.

barnbwt
April 24, 2014, 08:26 AM
No one's said they drop a round in the chamber and drop the slide on it to chamber the first round?

TCB

Spats McGee
April 24, 2014, 08:37 AM
Moderator Note: This thread has been resurrected from about 4 years ago. Given that it's garnered some new attention and new posts, I don't mind leaving it open. It's still a valid topic, and there may be new information to be had. However, if anyone sees a post with which they disagree, please check the date of the post, and when the member who posted last checked in. There's no point in spending 20 minutes putting together a post to chide a member who hasn't been here in several years.

mavracer
April 24, 2014, 09:18 AM
TUNNELRAT:
I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU OR ANY ONE ELSE DOES, THE SLIDE RELEASE IS FASTER (if used properly) YES I AGREE THERE ARE GOOD REASONS TO USE SLINGSHOT, BUT SPEED ISN'T ONE.

Spats McGee
April 24, 2014, 09:26 AM
And on that note, closed.