PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MkIII Target 678 problems

g19t
May 3, 2010, 11:45 PM
Yes i know there are many threads adressing mkiii problems and yes i did search through them but none of them seemed to have the same problem i am having.

Today i purchased a new ruger mkiii target. When i got home i field striped it to get an idea of how the gun works then i put it back together. First the main spring housing would not close but it finally did and then the bolt wouldnt cycle all the way it would only open up maybe half way. I restriped it and put it back together following ruger's directions and all the youtube videos i could find. Now not only will the bolt not cycle fully but the mainspring wont come out either. I have tried it with a mag in and a mag out i have tried pulling the trigger to get the hammer to move and nothing happens. Any ideas? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Also i know im not the strongest person but the main spring wont even come out if i try to pry it with a screw driver.

SVO
May 4, 2010, 12:06 AM
Time to send it back to Ruger and have them put it back together properly. Just the nature of the beast.

g19t
May 4, 2010, 12:10 AM
Well i can now get the main spring to swing out (had to remove the slide release pin) now the mainspring wont drop out of the bolt. Im starting to think this thing is more work than its worth.

g19t
May 4, 2010, 12:30 AM
SVO - thats what im trying to avoid... just got the damn thing now i want shoot it not send it out and wait a month. I followed all the directions and made sure everything looked like the pics so i have no clue what went wrong.

SVO
May 4, 2010, 09:44 AM
It's all in how you put the mainspring housing back in. My experience is when you reach the point, only Ruger can save you.
Sorry, not trying to be a wise ***, just been there, done that. I have founf that if you hold the gun up right at a 45 degree angle, the main spring housing will slip back in easier. Good luck with with it.

jtmckinney
May 4, 2010, 11:45 AM
I have a family heirloom Mark I that I have to teach myself how to re-assemble almost every time and the Mark III is probably a different animal again. I would be very careful prying on anything with a screwdriver unless it is in the instructions.

If the gun is defective of course it needs sending back to Ruger. If it just needs to be re-assembled correctly I would take it to a local gun store (especially if that is where you bought the gun) and see if they could help. I would think it would be good business to help you and if they do at least buy a couple of boses of ammo and keep them in mind when you need a holster or other.

My 2 cents,
James

KMO
May 4, 2010, 06:52 PM
Here are links to a 3-part YouTube series on the Ruger Mark III. He really did a quality job...very helpful:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLCsqpmeYj8&feature=related

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtfnTJr74Uo&feature=related

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU6ptx99JgU&feature=related

LaserSpot
May 4, 2010, 09:03 PM
See the video. It's going to be tight the first few times you take it apart. You may need to get a small brass hammer and tap the pin on top to get it started. Don't use a steel hammer.

g19t
May 5, 2010, 12:14 PM
Had to pop out the sear pin to get the internals to move out of the way enough. After 6 hours of frustration its finally back together and appears to be functioning correctly... the range trip on thursday will let me know for sure.

One problem i seem to be having is the hammer strut slides down the main spring housing but wont slide into the little cup its supposed to sit into. The markings on the ramp stop about 1/16" to 1/32" from where that little cup is. Has anyone else had this problem? and do you know how to fix it? I tried a little oil and that didnt help. Finally had to hold it at just the right angle so the hammer strut just went directly into the cup.

Thanks for all the help guys

HisSoldier
May 5, 2010, 02:37 PM
Do it a few times and join me in giggling when you read threads like this. :) Once you learn the secrets they are easy to duplicate. I use a plastic hammer on my target Mk III, both to disassemble and to assemble it. I also use a tool of my own design to line up the lug pin hole;http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc225/partsproduction/rugert5.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc225/partsproduction/rugert3.jpg

g19t
May 5, 2010, 03:33 PM
I need one of those... how did you make it?

jersey_emt
May 5, 2010, 08:14 PM
Do it a few times and join me in giggling when you read threads like this. Once you learn the secrets they are easy to duplicate. I use a plastic hammer on my target Mk III, both to disassemble and to assemble it. I also use a tool of my own design to line up the lug pin hole

Agreed! Once you learn how to do it properly, it is very simple to take down and reassemble a Ruger .22 LR pistol.

The only issue I have with my Ruger Mark II is lining up the barrel/receiver assembly with the grip frame so the bolt stop pin will fit in the holes. My pistol is only a few months old, and the fit is very tight. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the holes lined up properly.

Does your tool help with this? I assume you insert the tapered end through the top bolt stop pin hole and tap gently with the plastic hammer to line up the barrel/receiver assembly with the grip frame?

HisSoldier
May 6, 2010, 01:41 PM
That tool is simply a shank with a diameter the same as or a few thousands under the pin diameter, the working end is tapered to force the holes into alignment. I discovered that the tapered end needs to be hardened or it gets metal sheard off every time you use it. I brought it up to RC 50.

If you have a lathe you can find a screw driver with a shank diameter that is larger and turn it to the pin diameter, cut the phillips end off and taper it with about a 10 degree taper, then, if it's soft, harden and temper it. Choose a screw driver that you can hit with a hammer to drive it into place, a lot of screwdrivers die quickly if hit, the handles fall apart. But if it takes hard blows to get it in then either the angle is too steep or it's not hard enough. Should I make up a bunch of these?

The brass screw driver looking thing is to lift the takedown lever so it can't scratch the finish.

Steam Boat
May 7, 2010, 08:21 PM
Yea Buddy,
Make a bunch up and I'll take one if you don't charge an arm and a leg for them. I love my MKII except when I get home from the range and it is cleaning time.