PDA

View Full Version : Got to shoot a Barret .50 yesterday!

MauiDoc
May 3, 2010, 11:45 PM
And it was FUN!

At the range on one of my all-too-rare sessions, introducing a friend to various handguns (.22 Minx, .380 Makarov, 1991A1 .45, FN .45 and a lovely S&W .22 tack-driver) and the venerable 10/22, and there was not one but two guys there with Barrets. I went to admire one during a cease-fire and was kindly invited to try it out. I took him up on his offer, and...just....WOW.

First round, I nailed the 16"x1" thick steel target out at 204 yards. Second round (at his urging) I hit it again! Very pleased with myself, but of course, the hard part of sighting it in had already been done for me. Nice scope on it.

The recoil was less than I expected, but he did say that he had loaded kinda light--I don't remember specifics. I understand now why snipers need a spotter--no way could I have known whether I hit that thing. Went out at the next cease-fire to look--Several large holes through that 1" thick plate--very impressive! Big fun, and fortunately, out of my price range (at this time;)).

My buddy had a great time-hadn't shot since he was 8 yrs old.

Questions, comments, derision, encouragement?

zombieslayer
May 3, 2010, 11:58 PM
tempt me no further

bamaranger
May 4, 2010, 12:20 AM
Lucky you!

Ya' know, the bird watchers keep a life list of all the birds they see, golfers have courses they want to play, skiers a certain resort, etc.

My life list is about guns I want to shoot. The Barret is on it.

Single Six
May 5, 2010, 04:01 AM
Man,do I know where you're coming from! I myself got the opportunity to shoot a .50 Barrett for the first time a couple of months back. This was the bolt-action bullpup model. I admit,I was really nervous before pulling the trigger,but I need not have worried. The felt recoil was hardly an issue. On the other hand,the muzzle blast / concussion was incredible! There are concussions...and then there are CONCUSSIONS. It didn't hurt,but I felt like a power lifter had punched me in the face. I learned that a .50 BMG rifle doesn't shoot..it detonates! But I agree with you;it buried the needle on the cool-meter. Now I'm waiting to go see my plastic surgeon for my grin-ectomy!

Italian_Marksman94
May 5, 2010, 07:25 AM
I shot about 3 or 4 rounds from one once, it wasnt so much the recoil I didnt like but the noise, even with ear protection it was ridiculously loud and practicaly disoriented me.

rickyrick
May 5, 2010, 10:39 AM
I wanna shoot one someday. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Irish80prf
May 5, 2010, 10:44 AM
A buddy is taking one out prairie dog hunting this year and I'm going to have the chance to shoot it. Like you guys said I'm not so much worried about the kick but the noise level has to be crazy. I guess the reason they don't kick from what I've heard is the way the barrel is ported it pulls the gun away from you somewhat. I've been told it is about like a 12 ga is that right.

vladan
May 5, 2010, 10:51 AM
Nah, for prairie dogs you need something bigger, they'll just shake it off... LOL, 50BMG is hoot to shoot though I just wish I'd have place to shoot it:)

Single Six
May 5, 2010, 01:49 PM
Irish80prf: Felt recoil is subjective,but I can say that,to me,it was on par with shooting birdshot out of my Remington 870. For that particular model I was shooting,it's weight,coupled with that mammoth muzzle brake,really made the "kick" a non-issue. But,as noted,the muzzle blast and resultant concussion were just incredible. I do recommend double hearing protection;foam ear plugs coupled with headphones. Man,are you in for a treat!

kaylorinhi
May 5, 2010, 05:38 PM
The Barrett's and similar bipod cannons are like Ma Duece's arrogant, slutty little sister!! John M. Browning sure knew how to raise a daughter.

Stevie-Ray
May 5, 2010, 11:19 PM
Questions, comments, derision, encouragement? Yeah, Doc, whenever you decide to get yours, I wanna come out there and shoot it.:D

Haifisch
May 5, 2010, 11:28 PM
Bolt action or Semi Auto ?

rugerdude
May 5, 2010, 11:31 PM
I got to shoot 4 rounds out of the M107 (Marine Corps M82A1) a while ago in training. Not a painful kick, just a big push and lots of noise, especially if you're standing a few feet to the left or right of the shooter.

I've also had the privilege of shooting countless rounds through the ole' M2 machine gun. With a cyclic fire rate of $2,200 a minute (550 rounds at 4 bucks a shot) what's not to love? BTW, thanks taxpayers!:D

stephen426
May 6, 2010, 01:31 AM
Wow! That must have been a blast (pun intended!). I'd love to try a .50 BMG some time. The only problem is where do you go from there? Unless you drive tanks or fire guns from a battleship, everything else will seem tame from now on. Handguns will seem like firecrackers. I still don't think I could turn it down though! Glad you had fun.

chris in va
May 6, 2010, 09:06 PM
The only problem is where do you go from there?

GE minigun.

TXGunNut
May 6, 2010, 09:30 PM
First time I saw one in action on a public range it gave me the giggles without even shooting it. Car alarms weren't very sophisticated in those days, every shot set a few of them off, even over 100 yds behind the firing line. Thought it was silly to set a pesky car alarm in sight of a firing line where everyone is armed.

STEINER
May 8, 2010, 11:16 AM
The range I used to go to had one set up @ 100 yrds. I wanted to try it out but it was $20.00 per shot, so I passed. Still want to shoot a 50 someday.
It is on my bucket list.