PDA

View Full Version : LCP 380... When good gun shops go bad?

Mokumbear
May 2, 2010, 05:50 PM
It's not like the LCP just came out but my local gun shop (there are others to check out) wanted $399 for the LCP!

Do you think is totally overpriced?

I'm going to shop around a bit.
Bud's just wanted something like $299!

My only other plan is to have my 20 year old AMT .380 Backup looked
at by a gunsmith. Even though it's 20 years old, this stainless pistol looks brand new.

The problem I have is it's "a fussy eater" and even with ammo it likes
there are fairly common FTF and not so common "stovepipes".

Do you think this could be resolved by a pro with some feed ramp buffing and spring/magazine replacement? (At far less the cost than buying anew LCP?)

coldpointcrossing
May 2, 2010, 05:57 PM

Oh yeah...by about a c-note if its base or about $80.00 if its stainless. Based on principle & economics, I would suggest taking your money elsewhere.

gun nut
May 2, 2010, 06:00 PM
Definitely overpriced. I picked up a new one at the local shop for $300.

gregjc9
May 2, 2010, 06:02 PM
Yep, over priced. I picked mine up a couple of months ago at a gun show for $299. At the last show, I saw some for $285.

m&p45acp10+1
May 2, 2010, 06:30 PM
If it has the lazerguard then the price is about right for new. If it is plain without the laser than it is very overpriced.

Naterstein
May 2, 2010, 06:43 PM
Offer him $350 OTD on it. Saves you time and energy if he takes it, if not, call Bud's. Better yet, $399 OTD with 50 rounds of good .380 JHPs. :D

Kreyzhorse
May 2, 2010, 06:53 PM
Over priced by about $50 to $100. Make him an offer though and see what he'll take.

MuzzleBlast
May 3, 2010, 11:59 AM
No reason to think that AMT wouldn't benefit from a fluff-n-buff. A gun you have is usually cheaper than buying a new gun.

richiep
May 3, 2010, 03:22 PM
I paid $350 for mine and other places a couple of hours from my location were selling them for $300. I told the guy it was a little overpriced and he agreed and gave me a cleaning kit. He said they can hardly keep them in stock with them going for $ 350 so I don't blame them. They are running a business its not like your selling it to a friend or something.

ttheel
May 3, 2010, 08:53 PM
At $399 you are getting ripped off. I paid $270 for mine 7 months ago.

EdInk
May 3, 2010, 09:27 PM
I waited 5months on a waiting list and paid $319. MSRP is less than $399 isn't it?

Jbar4Ranch
May 4, 2010, 09:15 AM
$275.49 in July of '08.

thunderbird101
May 4, 2010, 11:38 AM
It pays to do some comparison shopping. I recently went shopping for a Bersa and I brought up a list of all the gun shops w/in 30 mins of me & called every single 1 to find out what they were selling a Bersa for. Found some as high as $340 and I ended up finding one for $269, brand new!!!!!!! :D Needless to say, that one came home w/ me!

glove
May 4, 2010, 02:50 PM
Sounds high to me. Do some shopping around you will find a better deal.:)

Haifisch
May 4, 2010, 02:53 PM
Why bother with a .380 anyway? 9mm ammo is less expensive and has more "zip"

ttheel
May 4, 2010, 03:53 PM
Why does somebody always have to start a caliber war? He wants a .380, there is nothing wrong with one. I own other calibers also. Each gun serves their purpose. As far as pocket carry goes, you cant get any better than an LCP.

Zyrtek
May 4, 2010, 03:57 PM
agree with everyone else, overpriced :barf:

Tom Servo
May 4, 2010, 04:00 PM
at by a gunsmith. Even though it's 20 years old, this stainless pistol looks brand new.
One concern about the AMT is the scarcity of parts. If something breaks, it may be very difficult to get the gun up and running in a reasonable period of time.

As far as the LCP, it's overpriced by about $50. For a small, low-volume gun shop, $340-350 is probably reasonable. For a larger shop, it should be less than $320.

coldpointcrossing
May 4, 2010, 04:16 PM

The problem I have is it's "a fussy eater" and even with ammo it likes
there are fairly common FTF and not so common "stovepipes".

Better off to keep that thing as original as possible and tucked away in a gun safe. As far as I know, though AMT's in 9mm Kurz have a deservedly spotty reputation at best, these tiny tykes have been able to endear themselves to a great many folks. I say keep it as an heirloom, shoot sparingly, and shoot only for it's entertainment value. Just felt like saying...

Skans
May 4, 2010, 04:17 PM
One concern about the AMT is the scarcity of parts. If something breaks, it may be very difficult to get the gun up and running in a reasonable period of time.

I just purchased an AMT 45 Backup. And, I bought a complete parts set to go with it! After looking at the gun and parts, this thing is built like a tank. I'm not too concerned with parts breaking, but if they do, I've got a complete set of spares. In fact, I've seen lots of parts around for these guns on gunbroker, and I read somewhere that another manufacturer has started making the AMT series again.

I haven't fired mine yet, so I don't know how reliable it is. I do plan on polishing the parts that have been known to cause jams, i.e the feed ramp, slide/bolt face and lightly polish some the trigger and connector. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll just buy some of that cor-bon ammo that has the hollow part of the bullet filled with a plastic ball for more reliable feeding - that stuff is said to fix the feeding issues.

I like the size of the gun and the power of the .45 round too much to not do whatever it takes to get this gun running reliably. As far as I can tell the AMT has the basic design to be an excelent little pistol with some tuning.

Magyar
May 4, 2010, 04:21 PM

In a few years, about a $100.....Judging by some newspaper ads, they are being unloaded as we speak...To use an overworked expression, " a solution to a non-existent problem"; in this case it didn't work....IMHO of course..:rolleyes:

johnwilliamson062
May 4, 2010, 04:32 PM
I told the guy it was a little overpriced and he agreed and gave me a cleaning kit. He said they can hardly keep them in stock with them going for $ 350 so I don't blame them.
As a non-mono[poly business they have competitors. Those competitors are undersellng them by at least $50 and probably closer to $100. I can take my money elsewhere if they can not compete.

glenncal1
May 5, 2010, 09:38 AM
Bud's $299 shipped

ARDogman
May 5, 2010, 09:56 AM
1. Yeah, it's overpriced. As everyone else has said, by probably $100...I paid $300.
2. On the .380 vs. 9 thing (although it shouldn't be part of this discussion), the size of the pistol matters for LCP fans...and "settling" for a .380 to get that size is not "settling" at all.
3. I wouldn't carry the AMT if I couldn't shoot 400 rounds without a failure of any kind.

Jack Bauer
May 9, 2010, 03:51 PM
I paid $339 plus tax for my LCP at Cabela's...it came with two magazines, two gun rugs and a DeSantis pocket holster. I think I did all right...

trooper3385
May 10, 2010, 12:45 AM
Got mine for $299, 1 box of 50 Speer gold dot, 1 box of 50 Speer lawman, 2 mags, and 2 mag extenders.

Laserlips
May 11, 2010, 08:28 AM
FWIW:

I paid $275.00+7% Ga.SalesTax a few months ago from "Mission Essentials" in Hinesville,Ga. (I believe they have a website and sell online.)

I lucked out in that my NIB LCP had a new 2nd mag stuffed in the sealed box..

And for the gentleman who asked "why" a 380 when 9's are "better"?

I have 7 9MM pistols, 8 of which are compacts, or subcompacts, and NONE of them conceal nearly as well, nor are they as light and easy to carry concealed as my CT equipped LCP.

Jesse

raveneap
May 15, 2010, 02:56 PM
$300 for my new LCP a couple of months ago at a LGS. That seems to be the average price I've seen.