PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr CW .45 painful recoil

roge
May 2, 2010, 05:30 PM
I wanted to buy a Kahr PM.45 because of lightweight,small frame and thin profile. However, because of a $300 price difference, I oppted for a slightly larger, heavier CW 45. The recoil on CW is painful. At end of 50 rnds, my hand was hurting. I didnt like it and probably won't keep it. Makes me wonder,if I had gotten the PM45, the recoil would have been much more painful. I own a Kahr MK40, MK9 and P380. No recoil pain with those. I love Kahrs, but disappointed with CW.45. recoil. Had heard 40 were snappier

varoadking
May 2, 2010, 05:38 PM
Odd - is it the recoil or the aggressive checkering? I have a PM9, P9, MK9, PM45 and P45, and use a Hogue or Pachmyer grip sleeve, depending on which fits better, on all 4 of the polymer frames.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/Mancave/moreguns017.jpg

I don't find recoil to be an issue with any of these pieces...

PSP
May 2, 2010, 05:48 PM
I agree, try it with a grip sleeve. I thought it made a big difference. I used the Hogue Handall Jr.

richiep
May 2, 2010, 07:24 PM
I dont mean this in a bad way but....

you have to look at its intended design. The CW 45 is a CCW gun hence the name CW 45. Its not the guns fault... If you wanted a range gun you should have gotten something else. A .40 would be more snappy though.

Sgt Pepper
May 2, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'd like to say "you gotta be kidding" but I know that everything about guns is subjective. However, I must say that my Kahr P45 is noticeably softer shooting than my all steel Colt Officer's ACP, which is as heavy and solid as it gets in that size range, neither of which even remotely approach the painful category for me. The CW45 is essentially the same gun as the CW45. I suppose that now you know that you are recoil sensitive and should seek out some really mild-hitting handguns. Avoid snubby revolvers whatever you do.

varoadking
May 2, 2010, 08:05 PM
The CW45 is essentially the same gun as the CW45.

I'd say "exactly" the same... ;)

richiep
May 2, 2010, 08:26 PM
I know you can get aftermarket recoil springs. Try to find a heavier one for your khar. It would soften the recoil. A .45 does not really kick that bad though.

orionengnr
May 2, 2010, 08:32 PM
I have the P45, which is the same as the CW45. I can put 100 rounds downrange at a range session with no problems.

I am 53 years old, 5"9", 145 lbs with arthritis and a number of other physical shortcomings.

I do not find the P45 to be at all unpleasant to shoot.

JMHO.

JoeBob
May 2, 2010, 08:38 PM
I have a friend with a CW45 and even has smaller than average hands and hasn't complained a bit about the recoil, just remarks at its small size and accuracy. He almost had me convinced to buy one to replace the duty of my Keltec P11 :D

Is it just the checkering? Gripping too hard maybe? If you've shot a 40 then the recoil "snap" of a 45 shouldn't bother you at all...

Elkins45
May 2, 2010, 09:43 PM
I traded mine for a 44 magnum because I wanted something with less recoil. That's a true story.

The combination of the checkering and light weight make it just brutal for my small hands. The only gun I own that punishes me more is my scandium J frame 357.

B18C5-EH2
May 2, 2010, 10:19 PM
Having shot the PM40 and a P45 back to back the P45 had more felt recoil, but by no means was it unpleasant to shoot. The true shocker to me was that the tiny PM40 presented little more felt recoil above and beyond the PM9 I own and was shooting too.

Felt recoil is 100% subjective. It's really hard to discuss on forums IMO. I have seen people call certain pistols "painful" to shoot only for me to find that it was not at all unpleasant for me to shoot.

:confused:

To the original poster:

I'd love to take the CW45 off of your hands. Would you like cash or a trade for a nice Glock 39 with night sights?

BerettaBuckeye
May 2, 2010, 10:20 PM
I have no issue shooting my PM45. I don't go shoot it 100+ at a time or anything ( that's what 1911's are for :cool: ) but since it's my carry gun I do shoot at least a few mags through it monthly. Maybe a box of 50 or so once in a while. I will say that the plastic "checkering" is a little rough on the hands when new though. I solve that with a small sleeve cut from a bike tube, cheaper and thinner than any of the ready made grip sleeves. To each his ( or her ) own I guess but I wouldn't give up on it without giving it at least a few trips to get used to it. Also you will notice that 185's have less felt recoil than 230's. I noticed that when practing with my 185 Silvertip carry load, I'm not sure what's available in 185gr range ammo though

bdb benzino
May 2, 2010, 10:42 PM
I own a CW9 and CW45 and love them both, the 9mm is just slightly easier to conceal. The 45 is a little stiff on recoil but not unpleasent for me. Although I agree, recoil is very much subjective.
If you can not solve the issue with a grip sleeve, then I think that it is the 45acp caliber that might not be right for you, not the pistol itself. I also agree that in that format, the 40s&w would be as snappy, if not more! Good luck!!:D

varoadking
May 3, 2010, 05:58 PM
I traded mine for a 44 magnum because I wanted something with less recoil. That's a true story.

Indeed...and imagine how surprised you were that it wasn't what you expected... :rolleyes:

johnwilliamson062
May 3, 2010, 06:28 PM
If you are in Ohio i too wouldn't mind taking that CW45 off your hands, on the plus side it will hold its value.

It is a CW series, and i would not expect to shoot any CCW gun 100 times in one sitting with comfort. Some you can and that is great, but I wouldn't expect it.

Hoss Fly
May 3, 2010, 06:49 PM
If it hurts you when you shoot it you are going to "flinch" when you shoot it -
You're NOT going to hit what you need too-----
Get rid of it & get a gun you can shoot-----------------

My first response was going to be-
PUT YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES ON & DEAL WITH IT :p

glockman69
May 3, 2010, 08:24 PM
I to have a pm9 and it does bang you up, but for concealment I find it great. If I wanna shoot more I will break out the glocks.:cool:

chris in va
May 3, 2010, 09:01 PM
I was all over the idea of getting a CW45 until I rented one at the range recently. Not terribly pleasant to shoot, and I like to shoot everything a lot.:cool:

roge
May 4, 2010, 08:51 AM
The checkering is very rough and sharp, but the pain caused by recoil is not much because of the checkering, thogh it bothers somewhat. The pain is caused to my thumb on second upper joint that contacts curved top of grip. It left a bruise with broken skin after only shooting 50 rnds. I have shot my MK40 up to 300 rnds at a time with no pain problems. Also have shot XD 40 subcompact with no pain after 300 rnds. I have small hands, my son are bigger, but after shooting 100 rnds wth XD, he's hurting.

Elkins45
May 4, 2010, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Indeed...and imagine how surprised you were that it wasn't what you expected...

Well...perceived recoil, to be accurate. A scandium 329 S&W with 240 grain, 1200fps loads is WAY more comfortable for me to shoot than the P45.

Yes, mathematically there is more recoil energy with the 44 magnum, but the practical effect on my hand is that it hurts less than the P 45. The checkering was bad, but what really killed the deal for me was how the recoil torqued my trigger finger.

BerettaBuckeye
May 16, 2010, 08:36 AM
This thread has stuck in my mind all this time so last night at the range I asked my son if he wanted to shoot my PM45. Now this is a 13 year old, 100 pound defensive back not some "big boy" and probably the smallest or at least lightest .45 out there. I even warned him to "really hold onto it" and guess what? He loved it and ended up putting 35 rounds of 230 grain rounds through it. Would have been more but he shot up the last of the .45 ammo I had with me. He did ok with it too, not great but not bad either. I guess recoil is subjective and all that but.....

hdawson228
May 16, 2010, 10:47 AM
Don't confuse a true cocealment weapon with a range gun. It's designed and built for self defense. Not alot of prolonged range shooting.:cool:

Shadi Khalil
May 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
I have shot a P45 and found it to be quite managable. The worst part of any P-series Kahr is the aggresive checkering. Even my CW9 gets a bit uncomforatable after a 100 rounds and even chews the web of my hand up a bit. I put a houge handall on in a found it helped allot at the range but that's not the guns intended use. I took it off because I think it's important to practice what you carry exactly how you carry it. I think you should give it another try. If you are accurate with it and the gun is reliable then its worth holding on to. Also, the resale value on a CW series makes it not worth getting rid of.

varoadking
May 16, 2010, 03:02 PM
A scandium 329 S&W with 240 grain, 1200fps loads is WAY more comfortable for me to shoot than the P45.

You are indeed a company of one then...or just a Kahr hater...one or the other...

I have a MagnaPorted stainless 5" Model 629, and that SOB is a punisher...

I can shoot a P45 or PM45 all day long. .44 Magnum - not so much...

Gary L. Griffiths
May 16, 2010, 06:02 PM
You might try some 185-gr loads in your CW-45 before you ditch it. I had a PM-45, and the recoil with 230-gr +Ps was just slightly on the brutal side of harsh. With Taurus 185-gr hex bullet JHPs, though, it wasn't any worse than a 9mm. ;)

stevieboy
May 16, 2010, 06:39 PM
For those of you who scoff at the OP, remember: all hands are shaped differently. What may be comfortable in one person's hands may be excruciating in another's. I know this all too well. Although I own and love semiautos (I've been posting recently about my CZ 75B SA) I'm at bottom a revolver guy. I love S & W double action revolvers and I own a bunch of them. One thing is certain, however. There are some combinations of gun/caliber/grip that cause me agony. I simply cannot shoot any version of Smith's .357 magnum revolvers using the original (factory) grips. I also have friends who are completely at ease shooting the same round from the same gun. I don't consider myself to be a wimp. One of my favorite shooting experiences involves firing a Smith & Wesson Model 29 with full house .44 magnum rounds. But, THAT gun fit my hand and others do not.

My advice to the OP -- before you give up on that gun, experiment a bit with grips. Perhaps a "sleeve" grip, as has been recommended by others, or Hogue rubbers, would work wonders for you.

CDW4ME
May 16, 2010, 09:50 PM
I've got a PM40 and a PM45.
The PM40 kicks hard with just about all loads, the Golden Saber being the most tolerable.
IMO...The felt recoil of the PM45 is less (I can get my entire hand on the grip) than the PM40, especially with certain loads.
The Remington 185 JHP and 230 JHP produce less recoil than the Ranger T 230 gr.

imthegrumpyone
May 17, 2010, 04:30 AM
I've got a two .40s love the recoil, feels like you've got some "power" in your hands, if I wanted a gun for plunking I'd bought a .22. ;)

Sturmgewehre
May 17, 2010, 07:16 AM
When shooting a little .45 I've found a shot of this helps.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/depo-testosterone_200_mg_ml-1.jpg

:D

I've shot my buddies and honestly, it was pretty mild.

The guy that said it's a carry gun and not a range gun. You need to practice with your carry gun. I shoot my carry guns far more than I do my safe queens. You can't get proficient with your defensive arm if it sits in the safe or a holster and you never shoot it. If you can't shoot your carry gun, it's time to get a new gun.

Sturmgewehre
May 17, 2010, 07:19 AM
For those of you who scoff at the OP, remember: all hands are shaped differently.
While true to a point and under certain conditions, more than the shape of various hands I would say the primary issue is not properly holding the weapon. Unless you have an injury to your hand that causes physical when pressure is applied, it's likely not the shape of your hand causing you the discomfort.

Any large caliber handgun can be painful to shoot if you don't know how to properly hold it. If you have particularly weak hands, the inability to support your wrist, etc. this can also be an issue but one that can also be overcome with a little training and practice.

Elkins45
May 27, 2010, 07:45 PM
You are indeed a company of one then...or just a Kahr hater...one or the other...

I vote for company of one, since my daily carry gun is a PM9 and I LOVE it.

I'm an odd bird: arms like Popeye and hands like Olive Oil. I'm really not lying when i say that the PERCEIVED recoil of that little 45 is worse than the full-bore 44.

I can think of one other case where the particular configuration of the gun made a huge difference. I used to own a Marlin 44 magnum lever action carbine that i found absolutely miserable to shoot. I'm a lefty and for some reason every time I fired that rifle the comb of the stock whacked the bejeebers out of my cheekbone. Mathematically the recoil was not much, but I would rather have shot 400 grain 45/70 loads all day than fire that little rifle.

Stevie-Ray
May 27, 2010, 10:44 PM
Mathematically the recoil was not much, but I would rather have shot 400 grain 45/70 loads all day than fire that little rifle. If you mean the factory 405 gr .45-70 loads, that's understandable, they're pretty much popgun loads made to shoot in old guns. The 300 gr loads, on the other hand are interesting, especially out of a Contender. That is my recoil nightmare, and there are some on here that don't find it all that bad.:eek:

They must shoot .700 Nitro Express for fun.:D