PDA

View Full Version : Sig guys: need help identifying this gun

radioflyer
May 2, 2010, 12:12 AM
I saw a Sig at a gun shop and i'm trying to remember the model.

It was a compact metal-frame, small caliber (9mm or .380) Single-stack mag with SA/DA trigger.

Any ideas on what it was i saw?

_W_
May 2, 2010, 12:55 AM
Sig P239

Shadi Khalil
May 2, 2010, 01:13 AM
P239, .9mm

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/teif666/sig-1.jpg

or

P230, .380

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/blume357/Gun%20Pictures/Web%20Gun%20Pics/Sig230.jpg

The 239 is mine, the 230 is pic I found on the online.

PSP
May 2, 2010, 06:43 AM
Probably Shadi Khalil's P239 or a P232 (or P230) like one of these.

Sig also makes a P238, but it is SA only.,

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Sig/siggroup003.jpg

bamaranger
May 5, 2010, 04:01 AM
Hey PSP!

In the pic of the 230's, WHAT is the "extra" lever at the top of the grip of the uppermost, right hand pistol I have looked at and handled a number of P230's, and have never seen said control.

Also, WHAT is that loop on the inboard side of the same pistol near the bottom of the mag? Looks like a shackle to attach the pistol to a lanyard or strap.

Where did this pistol come from? has it been customized? Most anxious to read your reply.

blume357
May 5, 2010, 06:50 AM
only thing is it is not the upper right pistol but the 3rd one down from the top or 2nd one up.

radioflyer
May 5, 2010, 07:09 AM
looks like an optional safety lever. Maybe a decocker too?

the 232 looks a lot like the walther PPK. How easy is it to rack the slide? That was one of the deal breakers on the PPK.

PSP
May 5, 2010, 10:37 AM
egads!!!!!What is THAT

The extra lever is indeed a safety lever and the loop at the bottom of the grip is a lanyard loop. The action is DA/SA, the caliber is .32acp, the mag holds 8 rounds and it uses standard .380 mags, and it has the old style dot-on-dot P230 sights. It is a KH date, which I believe is the last year of the P230.

The story on this pistol is that it was made to comply with a LE agency purchase, thus the safety and loop.

The safety is interesting in that it can only be moved when the hammer is uncocked, at which time the trigger is blocked. When cocked, the safety is blocked and cannot engage.

It shoots and feels very similar to the Walther PP in .32acp, except that the Sig is a good bit lighter, having an alloy frame.

curt.45
May 5, 2010, 10:58 AM
PSP could you post a picture of the back of one of the 380's (the back strap and hammer area?) I had a PPK and liked the fit and feel but it wasnt the greatest in function so I sold it and I've been a bit leary of getting a lookalike gun, but I have a soft spot for Sig's.

thnaks

aroundchicago
May 5, 2010, 11:12 AM
I own a SIG 230......now it's the P232. This is an excellent .380. It has a fixed barrel so it's very accurate. My blued gun has an aluminum frame so it's very light and it's also has a very narrow width. If you're content with a .380 for CCW, it's an excellent easy to carry gun. It's certainly not a pocket gun like the LCP, but it's much more capable and much more accurate. My only complaint is in regards to the magazine release at the bottom of the grip.....not a big deal. The PPK might be a great gun, but it's a brick by comparison.

PSP
May 5, 2010, 12:00 PM
could you post a picture of the back of one of the 380's (the back strap and hammer area?)

This is a blued (alloy) P232 with Hogue rubber grips, hammer cocked.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Sig/Prom005.jpg

curt.45
May 5, 2010, 12:19 PM
so it doesn't have the pin above the firing pin like the PPK that kept causing Jams that were almost impossible to clear? cool now all I have to do is find one to buy.

PSP
May 5, 2010, 12:27 PM
so it doesn't have the pin above the firing pin like the PPK that kept causing Jams that were almost impossible to clear?

No it doesn't. The extractor serves as a loaded chamber indicator.

curt.45
May 5, 2010, 12:52 PM
I was very close to removing the pin and keeping the gun. didn't think that would be the greatest idea.

BTW very nice collection you have there.

bamaranger
May 6, 2010, 01:42 AM
Well that was most interesting. Certainly had never seen one of those (x2).

PsP, you have a very novel, and I suspect, rare variation on the P230.

Can you bear one more question? Did it perhaps come from an overseas agency (Europe) .32, safety, and lanyard shackle (darn thing is too big to be called a loop) scream Europe to me.

Congrats on a very interesting pistol.

PSP
May 6, 2010, 06:51 AM
Did it perhaps come from an overseas agency

I don't know. I've seen them labeled as both Japanese and German police agency "leftovers", but I've never seen one with a cartouche that identifies a particular agency.