PDA

View Full Version : Help with rear sight change on new Sig p226

spt
May 1, 2010, 09:12 PM
Hi I'm fairly newly returned to pistol shooting (after 25 years!) and almost brand new on this forum. Just bought a Sig p226 (liked the feel of this over all that I hefted/shot during the eval period). I have found threads here corroborating what I noticed right away with this Sig: the point of impact is set behind the front sight dot. I learned and shot as a younger chap with the point of impact at the very top edge of the front sight. Not sure if this is really true 'six hold'; my father taught me that and I never took any formal training.

When I shoot 'my way' I'm obviously low. Is this how LEOs typically train? Seems odd to cover the target with the front sight, but is that more 'natural' reflex in tense seconds? When I cover the target with the front dot I'm on.

I'd like to reset these to my habit (unless some sages here can convince me to re-learn...I'm fairly malleable right now, being new to the modern art of pistol shooting and young enough (44) to adapt!

Factory sights on the Sig come with the #8 rear sight. AT 15 yards I'm more or less on target as above: covering ctr of target with teh front dot. What size rear sight # would I pick to shoot a 'six' hold at 15 yards? (Rear sight needs to be elevated...)

Or should I consider an adjustable sight? Pros? Cons?

Also, years back when sighting in rifles I used a brass tool to tap iron sights for windage adjustments. The 'sig adjustment tool' is $170! Any easy and finish-friendly advice on adjusting the rear sight on these without buying such a tool?

Thanks!

Scott in Phoenix

.357SIG
May 1, 2010, 09:49 PM
No easy way with SIG sights. They are very tightly fitted. A sight tool is the only way to remove them without destroying something. I've tried the hammer in the vise, and even hard hits don't move he sights.

gb6491
May 1, 2010, 09:50 PM
Scott,
This .pdf for the SIG sight pusher has all the info for the different number sights in it: http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/OwnerManual/UniversalSightPusher.pdf
SIG's rule is: "'NUMBERS UP, IMPACT UP; NUMBERS DOWN, IMPACT DOWN”. This is true whether it concerns the front or rear sights."
There is a change of 2" between rear sight numbers at 25 yds. and 1" change between front sight numbers at the same yardage.
Regards,
Greg

spt
May 2, 2010, 12:50 AM
thank you, gentlemen!

Scott