PDA

View Full Version : New Henry rifle, dried oil/grease in action

Cool_Hand
April 27, 2010, 03:58 PM
Hey there, I bought a NIB Henry .22 lever action and when I took a good look at it when I got home there looked to be dried caked on buildup in the action, I assume it was gun oil or grease that dried overtime. I picked away at it with a dental pick and used a mini vac attachment to get whatever scraped off, then I used a toothbrush with some gun cleaner to get the excess. Henry recommends against disassembling their rifles so is their any way to clean the action further without disassembly? The gun feeds and ejects fine but I would still like to get that action as smooth as possible.

mrawesome22
April 27, 2010, 06:59 PM
Just take the cover off and clean it.:)

Dave R
April 28, 2010, 01:52 PM
You could just hose the affected area(s) with Gun Scrubber or some other aerosol solvent, then repeat as needed, then re-lube. Just one possibility.

LilHog
April 28, 2010, 06:15 PM
I own several Henry's and I always take them apart before the first shoot/range visit. One was like yours and needed a good cleaning, the other 2 were good and clean from the factory. I remove the receiver cover and remove the stock and forearm, then I spray the action out with brake cleaner and let it dry. Then I lube it and reassemble and it's good for a long, long time.

Cool_Hand
April 28, 2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all the help. Now I just need to wait for it to stop raining so I can get to the range