PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 magazine parts?

FiveForSure
April 27, 2010, 11:40 AM
Here's my situation. I'm in MA, so I don't have much choice in the way of high capacity magazines. I can only have pre-ban mags, and I got 4 30 round magazines with my Mini-14. However, the two USA magazines I have are about done for. Both have occassional FTF's, one always does it on the last round, and the other one has recently taking to doing it every five rounds or so. Are springs and followers available for these magazines? As I understand it, as long as it's the original magazine casing, it's considered to be the original magazine.

Jimro
April 27, 2010, 12:32 PM
If I remember correctly, and that is a big if, the ten round "clinton clips" were nothing more than 30 round magazines with a limiting crimp on the body of the magazine.

As such, standard 30 round parts will work.

But like I said, it's a big if. My memory not being infallible.

Jimro

FiveForSure
April 27, 2010, 01:19 PM
My problem is that my pre-ban 30rd magazines are failing, I don't own any 10 rounders. I can't find the parts for them, though. :(

Jimro
April 27, 2010, 01:46 PM
If your thirty rounders are failing, and I'm assuming you are using GI mags, then just get some new springs and followers.

Also look around, cause any GI mag manufactured before 1994 will be "grandfathered in" for your state (if I understand the laws correctly).

Jimro

FiveForSure
April 27, 2010, 01:54 PM
Where can I find springs and followers for mini-14 magazines, though? I've been able to find them for AR mags, but not for my Mini.

Jimro
April 27, 2010, 02:12 PM
Well you can get springs from Wolff, which is probably the cadillac standard of springs http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26%20Shotguns/RUGER/MINI%2014,%20MINI%2030,%20RANCH%20RIFLE/cID2/mID52/dID222

And I would just clean and re-use the followers.

Jimro

FiveForSure
April 27, 2010, 05:17 PM
That's what I was looking for, thanks! Ordering three now.