PDA

View Full Version : Check out the rifles in this picture

kraigwy
April 25, 2010, 07:22 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/kraigwy/buffalo/websize/Picture%20of%20Remington%20Rolling%20%20Block.jpg

This is my version, a Remington Rolling block in 44-90 Sharps Bottleneck

http://photos.imageevent.com/kraigwy/buffalo/websize/Buffalo.jpg

simonkenton
April 25, 2010, 07:25 PM
Yowsuh!

What a great post!

The old .44-90 did the job on the buffalo!

Hawg
April 25, 2010, 07:30 PM
Cool:cool:

Doc Hoy
April 25, 2010, 08:02 PM
That buffalo has a pretty bummed out expression on its face.

What a great post!

And what a great reason to visit Wyoming!

SilentHitz
April 25, 2010, 08:27 PM
That buffalo has a pretty bummed out expression on its face. LMAO, wonder why that is?:p That's one sweet rifle, love the rolling blocks.:cool:

TXGunNut
April 25, 2010, 09:50 PM
Details, Cap! Looks like an original rifle, did you use BP loads? Cast lead bullets? Fun outing? Good trip?

kraigwy
April 25, 2010, 10:16 PM
its orginal, 1876 I believe, chambered for the 44-90 Sharps BottleNeck.

I only shoot cast bullets in it with black powder or trailboss when I'm too lazy to clean it.

TXGunNut
April 25, 2010, 10:42 PM
You've touched history, Capt Stuart. How did it feel?

bedbugbilly
April 25, 2010, 10:44 PM
You're not kidding me any . . . . I know a buffalo can be trained to "play dead" . . . . or perhaps this one ate too many wheel weights that feel off of California cars??? :D

Great photos! I would imagine that hunt to be some thrill! Tell us more about your rifle! Thanks! :)

zippy13
April 26, 2010, 02:21 AM
Not to detract from your hunt; but, what do you know about that American Rifleman cover pic?

Doc Hoy
April 26, 2010, 06:19 AM
The original mag went to J. Oliver Goodrich in Penn Yan, New York, a very picturesque park of the states. I could only find one reference to an Oliver Goodrich in that part of the state but it was Mrs. Goodrich and it was 1914. The issue is 1940.

Note the position of the strap on the shooter's rifle. It looks like the observing soldier does not have a strap on his rifle. The shooter appears to be in dress while everyone else is in a working uniform. Check out those fancy loops on the shooter's jacket.

The observer is resting his rifle butt on his left foot.

The shooter looks like John Lennon (In an earlier life?;))

Every American Rifleman I have received over the last year has had a photo of a weapon on the front cover. These photos look disturbingly like paid advertisements. This cover from 1940 portrays a valuable historical record of a shooting encounter. In 1940 we were coming out of a depression and anticipating (at least those who had any sense were anticipating) having to go to war in Europe. A photo depicting military marksmanship training would have been popular at that time regardless of the vintage of the photo.

My next door neighbor is a Navy Seal. I bet he has some unclas photos for American Rifleman.

zippy13
April 26, 2010, 05:13 PM
Note the position of the strap on the shooter's rifle.
I first noticed that the strap isn't being used to help support the rifle. So, if they shot like in those days, then having no strap on the grounded (footed) rifle is inconsequential when shooting.

4V50 Gary
April 26, 2010, 11:11 PM
BTW, when I was at the Log Cabin Shop (Lodi, Ohio) last month, they had a refinished rolling block there.

herb
May 7, 2010, 04:19 PM
Great post. Wonder if that buffalo's great-great grand pappy enjoyed it as well. :)