PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a stupid question for Sig P226 owners

psychohellbilly666
April 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
I have a Sig P226 navy. I bought new. Today for only the second time I had it out at the range and while cleaning it after the trip I noticed a V shaped cut out between where the barrel and guid rod go. There were no mishaps or anything like that. I assume this is to allow removal of the barrel. Am i wrong in this assumption? Here are 2 pics of what i am talking about. Thanks for any help.

full.tang.halo
April 24, 2010, 02:15 PM
I've got a 226 in .40 S&W, it looks the same as the photos you posted. Probably just the way they were designed.

SigP6Carry
April 24, 2010, 02:24 PM
I've got a Sig P6, and it doesn't have that. But, I'd assume it's a weight reduction measure.

psychohellbilly666
April 24, 2010, 03:31 PM
Like I said it has been that way since I bought it new. I thought possibly to allow for the barrel to be tilted to be removed. Are either of yours a German model or are they both newer? My particular gun was produced in late '07.

SigP6Carry
April 24, 2010, 03:37 PM
Mine's a West German P6 (P225) from 1977 or so, and it doesn't have that V-cut, but now that I really look at it, compared to your pictures, my gun has a "square" cut in place of your V. It might be the difference between their compact slide and full size size, though. That V-cut shouldn't worry you at all.

psychohellbilly666
April 24, 2010, 03:58 PM
Just wanted to make sure that wasnt a defect from factory and was cause for alarm as far as cracking along center of V from firing.

psychohellbilly666
April 24, 2010, 07:20 PM
Speaking of the P6 what kind of shooters are they and what are the values on them. A local shop has one in their sig case but on the tag it is labeled CI P6 (unsure what the CI means) with a decent amount of holster wear and they have 369 on it. Would that be a good buy or can they be found cheaper?

Delaware_Dan
April 25, 2010, 01:13 PM
They used to be found cheaper, but nowadays, I think thats a fair price if the bore looks good and the frame and slide are not too pitted.

Muddflap
April 25, 2010, 06:30 PM
I've got a Sig P6, and it doesn't have that. But, I'd assume it's a weight reduction measure.

Your gun has a folded carbon steel slide. Psycho's has a milled stainless steel slide.

jmr40
April 25, 2010, 07:16 PM
My 226 looks just like yours. When fired the barrel and slide move together, but the barrel breach tilts down. Lock your slide back and you can see the muzzle tilted slightly upward. I'm no gunsmith, but believe this relief cut allows room for the barrel to tilt.

LOUcifer
April 25, 2010, 07:56 PM
I have a P226 Elite Platinum in 9mm and mine does NOT have that V

Icopy1
April 26, 2010, 04:41 PM
I have a Navy model as well. I'll have to check when I get home.

eagleninezero
April 27, 2010, 10:25 AM
psycho - I have a P226 Navy in 9mm made in '07 as well. Mine has the 'v' cut in the slide also.

jmr40 - that's an astute theory ... probably true ...

JonnyP
April 28, 2010, 08:10 AM
I have a P226R I bought a few months ago. Instead of a "V," mine has a "U." I think it's just a cutout section to allow free movement of the barrel while firing (when the muzzle tips upward slightly during empty round ejection and reload) and also when removing and reinserting the barrel during cleaning.

Nothing to worry about.

One other thought occurred to me, but I haven't convinced myself one way or the other.

Some gun parts have been modified over the years to reduce stresses. For example, the op rod in an old M1 Garand rifle now has a cutout very similar to what we're seeing on our Sigs. It used to be just a solid, straight section, but now has a notch in it, like the "U" I described above on my Sig. It was intended as a stress reduction measure after cracking was detected. Don't really think it's the case for our Sigs as I don't see much stress in that area, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Just get out and enjoy your Sig. It's a great gun.