PDA

View Full Version : Which Lightweight Rifle ?

ZeroJunk
April 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
I'm looking for a lightweight rifle to take to Montana this fall. I'll take a 280, 30/06, or thereabouts, whichever I can get a deal on.
Looking at the Remington TI, Browning Ti, and Weatherby Ultralight.

There are some good deals on the Browning Ti in some cartridges right now, but I don't like the way they do the bolt, no particular reason why though. I like the Remington Ti, but don't see any deals on them right now. And, I suppose the Weatherby would be fine also.

I'm just getting too lazy to carry 12 pound rifle/scope combos up mountains anymore.

Has anybody got any advice or experience on which way to go?

Abel
April 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'd go with a Kimber 84M Montana in 7mm-08 or 308.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/rifles/84m/84m_montana/

gak
April 24, 2010, 02:23 PM
You don't say what's on the menu--deer and/or elk--but I say Rem 700 Mt Rifle -- current stainless or a used (or LNIB) blue Mt Rifle DM (detach mag) no longer (?#?!) made--in .270 or .280, as you say whichever you can find a "deal" on--if the focus is deer. If elk is the primary quarry, .30-06. Used Win Featherweight Classic (no longer made - as of '07?) or current preduction Featherweight Deluxe also a good choice in same calibers. These'll kick pretty good--all of the '06 class--but not so lightweight to be that different from their 24" "regular model" cousins.

kraigwy
April 24, 2010, 03:50 PM
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, the new FN model in 270.

ZeroJunk
April 24, 2010, 04:24 PM
I'd go with a Kimber 84M Montana in 7mm-08 or 308.

Didn't know about that one. It is light. And, relatively inexpensive.

The Winchester Featherweights are great, but weight wise a notch heavier and not that much lighter than what I have.

fisherman66
April 24, 2010, 04:30 PM
The Kimber Montana is the ticket.

jmr40
April 24, 2010, 06:38 PM
The Winchester is a great rifle, but not very light. I really like the wood stocked versions, but the stainless synthetic Extreme Weather rifle just does not cut it.

For what you want the Kimber is the only way to go. Either the 7-08 or 308 will do just fine.

fisherman66
April 24, 2010, 06:46 PM
The NULA is a much more expensive option that give's you a slight weight savings over the Montana.

What'cha thinking about as far as rings and scope? Talleys are nice as are Conetrols as well. I really like to see a Ti scope from the VX-II 2-7x33 innards.

ZeroJunk
April 24, 2010, 07:53 PM
I was actually thinking about a 6X42 Leupold fixed. I have a 280 AI built on a pre 64 Model 70 action that I have been taking. It's a standard action and a fairly heavy barrel and PD heavy. It has a 3.5X10. But, I am just trying to shed as much weight as practical and still do the job.

thekyrifleman
April 24, 2010, 08:14 PM
I have one of the original Rem Ti in 7mm-08. Does extremely well, just retrofitted with a mcMillan Hunters Edge stock, and Brownells bottom metal to eliminate having to shuck the shells through the action. With a Leupold 4.5X14 stainless, weight is about 6 1/2 # ready to go. In case you don't think that's enough caliber, a friend who lives in Alaska, has taken several moose, one bull in the 60"+ category. Get you a premium 140 or 150 gr bullet, i.e., Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame and you are good to go.

uncyboo
April 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have a Rem. Alaskan Ti in .280. It didn't shoot very well at first, 2 - 3" groups with Federal Fusion 140's. I sanded off the 2 pressure pads on the front of the stock to float the barrel, and am developing handloads for it now. Groups are now appraoching the magic 1" size and should continue to improve as I adjust seating depths. It'll be a shooter with the right load.

I bought it to hunt the Misouri River Breaks in MT. Up & down all day. I am completely happy with the carrying aspect of this rifle. Very light and well balanced, even with the 24" magnum contour barrel they come with.

taylorce1
April 24, 2010, 10:51 PM
Oregon Gunsmithing LLC (http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Custom-Rifles.html) can build you a 4.5 lb custom rifle without scope. However I feel that in the quest for a light rifle some people take it too far and go too light. A light riflle is hard to steady after you have been hiking around all day in the pursuit of any animal above 7000 feet. I'm happy with any rifle that weighs under 10 lbs for hunting most days, I do like my 7-8 pound rifles better though.

I agree with Kraigwy, a .270 M70 FWT is about as good as it gets.