PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Glass?

Transport
April 20, 2010, 08:27 AM
Not knowing a whole lot about precision optics for firearms, I am considering getting some type of optical sight for a M1A. Most shooting will be done at less than 200 yrds. So turning to the membership here, any suggestions on what might be a good choice?

Thanks in advance.

geetarman
April 20, 2010, 09:49 AM
Depending on the options on your rifle, putting optics on can be pretty easy or kind of difficult.

I bought a loaded M1A and my rifle has the composite stock and the VLTOR (sp?) rail system and I mounted a Nikon Monarch in Warne mounts with no problem.

If yours does not have that feature, you will have to look at different ways to get the mounts on your rifle. I think Springfield offers a base that attaches to the side of the receiver. I am not sure how that would work.

I wish I had the wood stock on mine and a bridge type rail over the bolt. I may still change mine out.

One thing for sure, the rifle is sweet and you will like it.:D

Jimro
April 21, 2010, 02:18 PM
Buy glass that says Leupold on the side. Acceptable alternatives are Burris and Nikon.

Jimro

crimsondave
April 21, 2010, 02:28 PM
Buy glass that says Leupold on the side.

Just be sure it is at least vx ii grade.

flight954
April 21, 2010, 02:30 PM
I run a Smith Enterprises mount with a Nikon Buckmaster MilDot. Works great!

surbat6
April 21, 2010, 10:15 PM
Upshot is, buy great glass. If you can't buy great glass, get very good glass. In rifle scopes, the old aphorism is all-too-true: "The pain of poor quality lasts long after the joy of low price has worn off."
One of the gun mags tested three different scopes on the same rifle and there was a significant difference in accuracy between the bargain brand and the Leupold. I leave it to you to guess which was better.

Attila_The_Hun
April 25, 2010, 05:47 PM
I didn't know which scope I should buy for my first tactical rifle, and I bought a 5-20X44 Monarch. Did I make a mistake? Should I buy something else in this price range? I 'm buying a Savage 10 FCP .308 , and I 'm planning to shoot 600-800 yards range
I still have a chance to return it, so please help.
Regards.

Ricklin
April 25, 2010, 06:00 PM
Don't overlook the high end Bushnell's. The made in Japan high end of their line is excellent, brightest scope I own.

Palmetto-Pride
April 25, 2010, 06:30 PM
Buy glass that says Leupold on the side. Acceptable alternatives are Burris and Nikon.

He is partly right, but if money weren't a factor the list should read like this Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Nightforce, IOR Valdada then Leupold and a some others.

If someone doesn't put in a money factor I assume they want the absolute best recommendations.......:)

Attila_The_Hun
April 25, 2010, 07:00 PM
So, should I return it back?

Palmetto-Pride
April 25, 2010, 07:50 PM
What makes a great scope is debatable. IMO a scope that holds zero shot after shot is the most important variable, there's no point in having great glass and clear optics if the point of impact (POI) is going to change from recoil, second for a tactical scope (one with target knobs) it should track good, this means that when you adjust the target knobs it should move the POI according to how many clicks you made; example if you have a scope that is suppose to change the POI 1/4" at 100yds then if you make 4 clicks it should move it 1" so on and so forth and if you move it back or left to right it should go back to where you started from this is called the box test. A lot of scopes will hold zero after they are initially set, but most high end scopes and very few mid to low end scope will pass the box test. Its really about what your needs are. Nikon makes a really good scope even there low end Prostaff scopes are pretty decent.

Txhillbilly
April 25, 2010, 07:53 PM
As long as you aren't planning on shooting long range-600yrds and up-the Nikon Monarch will work fine,they are decent scopes but they don't have much adjustment for elevation/windage.

If you want a long range scope go with Sightron SIII,IOR Valdada,Nightforce, Schmidt-Bender,U.S.Optics,etc.
I personally don't like Leupold scopes,that is why they aren't on the above list,but there are those that love the brand.

slowr1der
April 25, 2010, 09:05 PM
For a great hunting scope I think the Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 4200, Burris Fullfield II, Vortex Diamondback, and the Vortex Viper are all great choices. I'm not at all a fan of Leupold. If you do get one make sure you don't get anything less than a VX-II.

If you want to spend more as said Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce, etc are all great choices.

If you want a tactical scope another great option seems to be the SWFA Super Sniper scopes.

Towboater
April 30, 2010, 02:15 PM
Dont know much about optics,but the best glass is made from the best sand? That beeing said I think the best sand comes from Vietnam,it's so pure other countrys buy it.Hawke uses glass made from that sand and I think Bushnell's Elite series scopes are useing it to.The better the glass the better the light gathering capabilites are some please correct me if I'm wrong

DiscoRacing
April 30, 2010, 02:16 PM
nothing wrong with an Elite for sure.