PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about vertical grips

Bartholomew Roberts
April 18, 2010, 11:05 AM
Lately I've been reading several threads asking about vertical grips and the impression I've gotten is that a lot of people look at it as just a piece of gear that you stick on a rifle. I've been using a vertical grip for about five years now and I thought I would share some of my experiences in hopes of both learning something that will help me and maybe letting someone else learn faster through my experiences.

Initially, I was not a fan of vertical grips. I had never really found them all that comfortable and felt they were gimmicky. One day I was trying to do a very specific drill in a very specific time. The drill was called a "box drill." I started out 15yds from two IDPA targets about 7' apart. At the buzzer, I would begin moving. The goal was to put two shots into the lower -0 zone on each IDPA target and then one shots into the upper -0 zone on each target, effectively drawing a box with the muzzle. The idea was to shoot this drill clean (no misses) in under 5 seconds.

The problem was I couldn't do it. If I was fast enough, I dumped shots outside the -0 zone. If I was accurate enough, my time went longer than 5 seconds. At the time I was using a magwell hold with support hand or griping the handguard in the traditional fashion. After many frustrating runs, without even realizing what I was trying to do, I reached far out to the end on my Knight's 7" FF-RAS and grabbed hold of my flashlight in something that looked like this:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59065&d=1271605453

All of a sudden, I had a sub-5 second clean run, and then another, and another. I felt like Archimedes when he sat in that bathtub. :D Although I didn't realize it at the time, grabbing the flashlight like that actually had several advantages over a vertical grip; but comfort wasn't one of them, so I decided to buy a vertical grip.

For the vertical grip, I went with the Grippod polymer. At 7oz weight, it combined both a vertical grip and a bipod. It also helped me learn faster. What I had not yet realized, despite the flashlight experience is that it matters WHERE the vertical grip is. The less mass in front of the grip, the easier it is to control that mass. Because the Grippod was also a bipod, I mounted it towards the front of the rail, only leaving room for a flashlight in front at the 6 o'clock position. As a result, I started using a more forward grip almost right from the start.

However, I was disappointed to see that my box drill times went UP instead of down with the vertical grip. This didn't make any sense to me; but after experimentation I noticed a few things. The first thing I noticed is that people seem to want to grip a vertical grip like this:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59066&d=1271605453

For me, this grip sucks. You can see that the wrist is bent at an unnatural angle that causes discomfort. You also have the problem that all of the weight you want to control is sitting an inch or so above the top of your hand. If you aren't moving and you have a perfect stance where the muzzle is recoiling straight up and down, this position works (although the fatigue caused by the wrist angle kicks in earlier).However, if your position is a little off, or you start moving, the weight tends to roll around on top of your hand causing the rifle to recoil up and to one side or the other. This makes splits and target-to-target transitions slower. It was impossible for me to shoot a clean, sub-5 second box drill like this. Even sub-6 second was rare.

Before I even finished the first session, I had switched to this grip.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59067&d=1271605453

By putting my thumb up on the knob that attached the Grippod to the rail, I did two things that helped me (again without realizing what I was doing). I helped change the angle of the wrist a minor amount so that some of the tendons were less extended. This helped reduce fatigue.I also took a slightly higher grip and could control roll a little better with my thumb. This is a grip I used a long time and it worked decently for me; but I still had a tendency to revert to my flashlight grip when I needed to shoot fast because I knew it would work; where my thumbs-up grip only worked about 50/50.

CONTINUED BELOW

Bartholomew Roberts
April 18, 2010, 11:23 AM
I started looking at how some of the local 3-gun competitors who were doing better than me were shooting. One thing I noticed is that they often didn't use grips or used them much differently if they did. I had already tried without a grip and knew that didn't work for me, so I continued to try and make the Grippod work.

As time went by and I watched them, I realized that having the grip forward wasn't the only part of the problem. Much like a pistol, you wanted to grab up as high towards the bore as you could in order to better control recoil. I had instinctively started that way with my "Thumbs up" grip; but I had let myself be limited by thinking I could only place my hand on the vertical grip OR the handguard. I realized by modifying my grip a bit further and grabbing even higher up above where the grip attached to the rail I could get even better control over roll/recoil. This led to the "thumbbreak" grip, which has pretty much dominated 3-gun for awhile now:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59071&d=1271607893

The thumbbreak grip works... and as time passed, I noticed I kept grabbing higher and higher above the grip. Soon I wasn't really using the Grippod as a grip. I was using it more as a point of reference and as something I could pull back against to steady the rifle. I had gone from using it as a vertical grip, to using it as more of a handstop:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59072&d=1271607893

Now the Grippod started to annoy me. I really loved it for a long time; but by now I was beginning to see its shortcomings. As a bipod, it was mediocre and the bipod feature caused it to be longer than necessary, even by vertical grip standards it was quite long. Now that I was grabbing high up above where the Grippod attached, there was a whole lot of Grippod that I never used now; but that was constantly getting in my way as I shot from around barriers, through ports, or unconventional positions. It seemed it was smacking against something more often than I was using the bipod.

And while the handstop method of using it worked and was more comfortable than some of my previous grip attempts, it still wasn't as comfortable as I wanted. My wrist still had to bend at a bit of an odd angle and that made the position uncomfortable in 3-day classes where we spent a lot of time on the line. I realized what I really wanted to do was use the same thumbs forward shooting grip I use with my pistols on my rifle; but I didn't have the slightest idea how to go about that.

CONTINUED BELOW

Bartholomew Roberts
April 18, 2010, 11:36 AM
Luckily for me, the guys at Magpul were already way ahead of me in thinking this out. While I was still just realizing how I wanted to grab the rifle, Magpul was actually releasing a product that let me do it that way - the Angled Fore Grip or AFG.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59073&stc=1&d=1271608626

As soon as I saw this product, it clicked with what I had been trying to achieve and I ordered one. Since I have already done a review of the AFG (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392656&highlight=magpul+afg), I won't repeat myself. Instead I'll just show why I like it:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59074&stc=1&d=1271608626

Looking at the previous photos, you can seem some strong resemblances to what has worked well for me in the past, except that now my wrist is at a natural and comfortable angle when I hold the rifle. This little difference translates into more comfort and less fatigue, which means that I can shoot better. It also lets me manage the 20oz weight of the suppressor better too.

The ony problem I've had with the AFG so far is that I'd like to place it even farther forward than it is currently; but I'm limited by my current 9" rail and the need to hit the flashlight. So for now, that is far forward as it goes.

Cosmik de Bris
April 18, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hi, that's really interesting, thanks. I think I might find your last solution good for me, I'll be trying it out sometime.

Cheers

NWCP
April 18, 2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the write up. I've never been a fan of the vertical grip. The AFG does look like a useful implement. I'm going to read up on it and perhaps give it a go. I don't shoot competition, but when hunting I use a shooting bipod, or brace my rifle against a tree. When using my weapon mounted bipod from a prone position it's all a mute point, but that AFG might give me a better purchase on my grip when using a tree to steady my shot.

zombieslayer
April 18, 2010, 10:00 PM
Wow! A really nice read!! Definitely one of the BEST and most well written threads I've read in a while. Answered a few questions I've had and I'm thinking I want to try an AFG.

RT
April 18, 2010, 10:07 PM
Nice write-up. AFGs also work well on Aks as they don't interfere with mag changes.

SR420
April 19, 2010, 07:36 AM
Excellent write up.

I run the AFG on all of my primary weapons, but I don't push them to the very end of the rail...

AKM:

http://www.athenswater.com/images/UltimateAKM-1.jpg

MK14:

http://www.athenswater.com/images/Walter-Mitty-AA.jpg

KLRANGL
April 19, 2010, 10:30 AM
My experience is pretty much spot on to Mr Roberts, though I'm sure with a much lower round count on my end :o

Started with a full length vert grip on my AK. Didn't like it, so I got a short Tango Down grip and started running a thumb break grip. That was satisfactory for a while, but I switched up to the Magpul grip mostly for mag changing reasons. I ended up liking the Magpul grip much better, even though it was an unintended consequence.

Come and take it.
April 19, 2010, 12:21 PM
I used to use vertical grip on my AR. Now I do not.

It adds a extra weight and you can get the same use out of the front of the magazine well.

A tactical carbine should be light and quick to point.

It also presents an extra object that could get snagged on something in the event of getting the gun into quick action.

Bartholomew Roberts
April 19, 2010, 01:10 PM
It adds a extra weight and you can get the same use out of the front of the magazine well.

Well, there is no question it adds extra weight. The Grippod adds 7oz out in front of the barrel nut (which is pretty much the last place you want to add weight on an AR).

However, I would disagree that you can get the same use out of the front of the magazine well. As I noted in my first post, I'd been using the magazine well as an improvised vertical grip for awhile. In fact, I still use it when comfort in a ready position is more important than control of the muzzle.

The problem with the magwell as vertical grip is where it is located. You've got over 2lbs of metal in front of your support hand. The Grippod adds an additional 7oz to the overall weight; but it lets me reduce the weight in front of my support hand much more dramatically.

Naturally, I can't speak for what works for you; but I can say that when I take a shot timer and time myself on a box drill, the magwell hold is not as fast. Thus the whole reason, I started using vertical grips to begin with.