PDA

View Full Version : bobcat ammo

bcarver
April 12, 2010, 09:53 PM
Question: What size shot will be effective on bobcats? #4 lead does not seem to be large enough.

thallub
April 12, 2010, 10:38 PM
My favorite bobcat and coyote load is Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote with T shot. There are 50 T pellets in a 3" 12 gauge load. I know for a fact that the round cleanly kills bobcats and coyotes at 60 yards when fired from a full choke barrel.

This past winter I killed several called in coyotes and three bobcats with the Hevi-Shot load: All were one shot kills. My longest shot on a bobcat was about 60 yards. The cat hit the dirt, kicked a little and died.

#3 or #4 buckshot also does a good job on bobcats.

Daryl
April 14, 2010, 07:45 AM
Bobcat's aren't hard to kill, but #4 is too light to get through the fur and still penetrate enough for a quick kill.

BB, #2, 3, & 4 buckshot and such will work fine. The "heavishot" type loads are likely great, but I refuse to pay $3-$6 per shell for shotgun ammo.

I suppose that's one more reason why I use a rifle though.

Art Eatman
April 14, 2010, 08:47 AM
No argument about heavier shot, but here comes the anecdotal "However":

For years my go-to shotgun has been an old Model 12, 30" full choke. That was full choke with paper cartridges. With modern plastic, it's more like Xtra Full.

My only bobcat kill with it was at 25 yards with a Winchester high-brass heavy load of 7-1/2. Centered on his left shoulder. He did a somersault in place and moved nevermore. :D

hagar
April 14, 2010, 11:12 AM
1 7/8 or 2 ounces of copper plated BB's in a 3 inch shell. It has no equal beyond 50 yards. It will also kill on either end..;)