PDA

View Full Version : ppk vs. bersa thunder

AkNorton43
April 12, 2010, 10:28 AM
hey all, new to the forum. I'm considering getting one of the above pistols but not sure on which. obviously the Walther has the better rep, but are there any serious flaws with the bersa?

Furminator
April 12, 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm not completely certain that the PP(K) has a better reputation. It is an older, much more famous model than the Bersa from a well known arms-maker (Walther). I've shot both the Walther and the Bersa and, I have to admit, I prefer the Bersa. The Walther is prone to slide-bite and the one I shot had a VERY heavy, gritty double-action trigger pull. Also, I have heard of a lot of owners who are less than thrilled with their Walthers. The only problem that I've really heard about with the Bersa was a bad batch of disconnector springs and the fact that it is not expensive enough to be a good gun :D.

indykappa
April 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
no experience with any walther products...

but i will say that bersa makes an excellent pistol. most folks who recommend bersas have owned them in the past or currently own them. most folks who bash bersas are gun snobs who think that "good guns" can't cost less than $300.

1 vote for bersa...

HisSoldier
April 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
The Bersa has an aluminum alloy frame. If you believe aluminum is gun making material then that doesn't matter I suppose. The PPK is a classic all steel gun, to some of us that matters.

If Bersa made their guns with an optional stainless frame it might be more of a tie for me, but I'd still go for the classic.

Magyar
April 12, 2010, 02:26 PM
obviously the Walther has the better rep
Well deserved, IMHO. I'm convinced that those that have problems with the PPK (some dislike the weight-can't do much for that) aren't very versed in maintenance. As far as slide-hammer bite, a few minutes with a fine file & emory cloth: it's taken care of...:)
http://i34.tinypic.com/dng4yw.jpg

ElectricHellfire
April 12, 2010, 02:34 PM
I have a 2 Bersas and I them a lot. For the money, its a very solid CCW. The alloy frame doesn't really bother me very much as I didn't buy it to shoot 50k rounds through it or use it as a comp gun.

AkNorton43
April 12, 2010, 05:02 PM
any words on the Bersa trigger?

Enoy21
April 12, 2010, 05:18 PM
I plan to buy a Bersa for my GF as her next gun...... I want to shoot it myself and may pick one up for myself if I like hers.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/bersa_thunder/

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

This guy has alot of good reviews , tutorials and videos with good information. He goes through all the information on it including breakdown and safeties etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgt65OL7t3c

dsa1115
April 12, 2010, 05:46 PM
I suggest you buy neither, and check out a Sig 232 instead.

AkNorton43
April 12, 2010, 07:23 PM
I'm all for Sigs, however the money isn't there right now. I was also kicking around the idea of a P-64 or maybe a Makarov w/ upgraded trigger.

Cornhusker77
April 12, 2010, 07:48 PM
Bersa Thunder 380 is a good gun.
Mine is light, accurate and dependable.
I don't have a PPK, but I have a PP in .32, and it's a decent gun too, just heavier and 60 years older.;)

guypowell
April 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
I had a PPK/S "on loan" to me for about three months while it's owner was out of the country. It was an older one, and out of the 4-500 rounds I put through it during that period, it functioned 100%. I've always wanted one ever since mainly due to its allure and reputation. I know nothing about the newer Walthers though.
I do know a little about the Bersa 380 after having owned one for 8-9 years. I've put a little over 1,500 rounds through mine and it's been flawless. The internals look great and the frame doesn't seem to have suffered one bit. Although, being a LEO I don't have to really worry about "printing" when I carry off-duty, there are times the little Bersa really comes in handy. It virtually disappears when carried in the front pocket of my BDUs. I hardily recommend the Bersa, even over a Makarov which I have two of.

michael t
April 13, 2010, 12:14 AM
Trigger on my Bersa about 1/2 that of my Interarms PPK/S Both have been reliable and both accurate . I would take a Bersa any day of the S&W PPK's Bersa is a good pistol at about 1/2 the price of the S&W made Walthers in name only PPK's

check out new Bersa Board. http://www.bersachat.com/

lamarw
April 13, 2010, 07:28 AM
Read my thread from yesterday about my new Bersa. It took about four to five magazine loads before my new Bersa stopped having problems with a failure to feed between the fifth and sixth round in the magazine.

Now I have the Drawbar Spring popping loose after every thirty to fourty rounds. Not Good. I have never had any problems with my Sig or my Berettas.

I had read so much good press and so many favorable user comments about the Bersa. I bought one. I just hope in a year from now I can say something positive about the little gun.

To do over again, I would not of bought it. Maybe my pistol is just one in a million and is a lemon squeeze.

group17
April 13, 2010, 08:02 AM
I have a Bersa 380 duo that has been nothing but reliable and only cost me $230.
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2896/bersa3809.jpg

Looking around you could get two bersa 380's for the price of a PPK. Bersa comes with a lifetime warranty for the original owner. If hers ever has a problem you can loan her yours while your waiting for hers to come back from warranty (LOL).
I haven't read a lot of wonderful about the PPK on the Walther forum. But it is the original. Best of luck on your choice!

zenner22
April 13, 2010, 08:14 PM
I'm a traditionalist, prefer the classic lines of the Walther PPK line. The SW ones do seem to be hit or miss. My first PPK was flawless, so of course I traded it in on a PPK/s because that little bit of extra grip makes it much more comfortable to shoot with 380s. Could have been a mistake, it did take two trips back to the factory to fix the same problem. And then the recall happened.

However, upon my PPK/s's return I have had no troubles. And no matter who is making the PPK series pistols, I still have not fired a Walther of any kind that wasn't extremely accurate. I'm not sure I could hit a man sized target at 25 yds with my S&W 442 .38 snub. I definitely can with the Walther PPK/s.

I really like the Walther pistols.

Digitalshooter
April 13, 2010, 08:21 PM
It would be hard to go wrong with the Bersa. They are smooth shooters and feel great in the hand. I've got four different Bersas and have not had a problem with any of them.

ranger93
April 13, 2010, 09:10 PM
I bought a Bersa for my wife. She tried a bunch of handguns. She liked the Bersa. I didn't, thought they were cheap and crap. She liked it. Once again, like most husbands.... I was wrong again. Her Bersa Thunder .380 with Crimson Trace Grips is a sweet little pistol. My wife can accurately shoot it. I like it because she is comfortable and confident shooting it. It had some issues at the start. After about 100 rounds and a couple of cleanings we have shot and shot and shot. No problems. Some handguns from any manufacturer are going to have personnalities. But, for the money and the confidence it gives my wife, I am very impressed with it. We have fired about 1000 rounds through it now and I don't regret buying it at all. Get the Bersa and break it it. You most likely wont regret it at all.

zenner22
April 13, 2010, 10:13 PM
Just want to add I've heard very little negativity as far as the Bersas go. Most people seem to like them, which brings this down to personal preference. If cost is a factor, the Bersa would be the way to go.