PDA

View Full Version : were has all the 22lr gone?

Mausermolt
April 10, 2010, 09:20 PM
is it just me or has all the 22lr ammo been quite elusive for the past months? i just shot up the last of my 22lr at ground squirrels yesterday....that was a hoot and a half! my 10/22 was as hot as ive ever had it lol. anyway my question is what are you current prices around the country, why is all of it gone and how available is it? i can find it here in idaho/oregon but its anywhere from 23-35$ per brick. just wondering if my part of the world sucks for buying ammo.

JWT
April 10, 2010, 09:35 PM
Seems to be quite a bit of it available in this area. Try some of the on line sites like Midway, Natchez, Wideners, etc. and see what they have in stock. Might not find exactly what you want, but you will find some is available. The Federal and CCI Blazer bulk pack is going for $20 to $25 last tIme I checked local prices.

oneounceload
April 10, 2010, 09:38 PM
Don't know what brand you're talking about, but that seems high. Even so, if you're not willing to order online or take a road trip, then market conditions would determine that to be what the market will bear.

Last time I bought .22 was by the case lot of 6250 rounds for $95 OTD at a gun show for Remington.

In my neck of the woods, .22 is around, plentiful; however some of the other rounds for other calibers aren't

TXGunNut
April 11, 2010, 12:32 AM
I think this will work itself out soon. Shortages of some calibers in some areas and an abundance in some areas is symptomatic of poor ordering practices and reliance on too few retail sources. .22LR, .380 and .45ACP are hard to find around here. Most rifle cartridges are on the shelf but prices are increasing traffic in the reloading section.

Daryl
April 11, 2010, 08:53 AM
Be glad you can find it at all. Until very recently, .22 rimfire ammo has been pretty scarce in most parts around the country. The "Obama Rush" to buy ammo put it in short supply, and prices increasing is the result.

It's the "supply and demand" thing. If you make a product, but are selling everything you can make, even before you make it, then you're selling it too cheap. So, you raise prices 'till it balances.

OTOH, if you can't sell your product for what you're asking for it, you either lower the price, or go out of business.

Either way, the market dictates the price. At this point, just be thankful that you can find it.

Daryl

Jseime
April 12, 2010, 02:38 AM
I havent been able to get my hands on CCI Mini-Mags in Western Canada for a couple of years and im starting to get quite irritated... Seems like there is lots of federal bulk pack around and Remington... buy no one in their right mind buys remmy .22lr.

bamaranger
April 16, 2010, 01:52 AM
The Rem 500 bx golden bullet HP is my std everday .22 round. The 4 Wally worlds within driving distance never seem to have any, for about the past year.

I have found some in other places and bought A box (one box) when I do.

Operating in that manner, I've got a couple thousand rounds, without buying out the store. Enough to see me through this rush and things level back out.

What I'm hopin' anyhow.

TXGunNut
April 17, 2010, 10:08 AM
I have a good understanding of the supply and demand principle. What gripes me is that IMHO price gouging and hoarding are part of today's reality. I realize that one man's "hoard" is another man's "reasonable supply". Price of raw materials is one reason mfgs give for today's prices but those numbers don't add up. I think we may someday look back on the ammo/component situation of only a few years ago as the "good old days".

Art Eatman
April 17, 2010, 10:35 AM
Back in the Good Ol' Daze when pennies were of real copper, the price of copper stayed around $0.62 per pound. A penny was worth a penny at $1.22. Now? Copper is running about $3.60 per pound.

I'm a little behind on keeping up with lead prices, but they, also, are higher.

Chemicals? Think petro-chemicals, the other half of a barrel of oil. Natural gas at four bucks instead of one. Oil at $80+ instead of $25 or so.

Then figure the numbers of new shooters, as in Appleseed, or folks like Tamara and her amount of range time. Don't forget the sales of those AR-15 .22 rimfire conversions, and their consumption.

The hoarding/stockpiling deal has been beaten to death, already.

rjrivero
April 17, 2010, 11:05 AM
Wow, Art. You're really bringing me back with all those prices.....

I always have an ample supply of .22. When I open a new case, I go and buy another case. We go through more .22 than any other caliber. Especially in the winter when we are shooting almost exclusively indoor light rifle league. My daughter shoots NRA Jr. Rifle on Friday night and we shoot the League together on Saturdays. We go through a LOT of .22 during the winter.

In the summer months, we do the 3 gun thing, so it's a lot more .223 and 9mm but I have all winter to load what I need for that three gun fun. I'm sitting on 2 ammo boxes of .223 and 2 ammo boxes of 9mm. I'm building a 9mm AR carbine just for the Pistol Carbine Class at the 3 gun shoots. Fewer rules for the Carbine Class. ;)