PDA

View Full Version : Howa Varminter Heavy Barrel Scope Rail

overland
April 7, 2010, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know what type of scope rail or mounts are used for the Howa Varmint Rifle, HB in .223?

mrawesome22
April 7, 2010, 02:06 PM
www.midwayusa.com

Jim Watson
April 7, 2010, 03:42 PM
That was so easy to find that I am not even going to charge you a consulting fee for a Google entry.

"For mounting scopes on the Howa M1500, we recommend our one-piece, Picatinny style bases. If a two-piece base is desired, please use Remington Model 700 style two-piece bases."
http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/index.html

DnPRK
April 7, 2010, 08:41 PM
I like the EGW one piece mount from midwayusa.com

LloydXmas250
April 7, 2010, 09:39 PM
I have a Howa .223 as well (wish it was a heavy barrel). Mine came with a scope that I've already replaced. The mounts it came with are front and back Remington style mounts. What are the pros and cons of both? I like the split as it's easier to load my gun since it doesn't have a magazine.

Dallas Jack
April 10, 2010, 04:08 PM
I used the 1 piece EGW Weaver style base on a .223 HB Vanguard (Howa action) and it works fine. If you want to use a 2 piece base you can use one for the Remington 700. I think any 2 piece base for the Remington 700 (Burris, Leupold...) would work but the 1 piece bases for the Remington will not work even though they are called out for the Howa short action. I found out the hard way.

I do not think this problem exists for the long action Howas.

I used the 1 piece base becuase I resoned that the rings were more likely to aline than with the 2 piece bases. Also the 1 piece base will keep my cartridges from spilling out the other side allowing me to just push them down into the magizine.

I think I may change my rings to Burris Signature Zee rings (with the inserts) so I can correct for scope missalinement instead of lapping and using the turrets.
Dallas Jack