PDA

View Full Version : Normal Stock vs Pistol Grip Buttstock

bapfreak
April 6, 2010, 11:14 AM
I noticed that a shotgun that I was considering purchasing comes in two varieties at the gun store...

One is a normal stock

The other is a buttstock with a pistol grip for $40 more

Is there an actual advantage to a pistol grip buttstock or is it just tacticool? I have heard that shooting a pistol grip buttstock shotgun more evenly distributes the recoil, is this true?

oneounceload
April 6, 2010, 11:24 AM
I have heard that shooting a pistol grip buttstock shotgun more evenly distributes the recoil, is this true

Why do you believe this to be true, in your opinion?

HJ857
April 6, 2010, 03:54 PM
I have one on my Saiga 12 and on a Rem 11-87. I love them for handling and speed, but I don't think it does anything for recoil.

Tacticool is a crap term. If you think you'll feel stupid for having one, then don't even consider it. If it feels more natural to you, then you should get it or add one later.

Dave McC
April 6, 2010, 04:59 PM
I have shot a few shotguns with separate PGs a la AK/AR and find they are a bit slower than a standard stock.

YMMV, I've more time than most with the standard stock as developed for the last 200 years.

MagnumWill
April 6, 2010, 05:42 PM
To me, it just seems that a normal stock points so much better than a pistol grip. Plus, with my mossberg a pistol grip makes the mag release awkward to push.

fastforty
April 6, 2010, 05:43 PM
When I was 18-20 years old (many decades ago, LOL) I really wanted the pistol grip that I put on my 20 gauge pump to work for me, cuz it was way tactikewl, long before the term existed. Most I could ever fire was 2-3 rounds before my wrist felt like it was sprained. I tried it many times, in many different firing positions (giving a few weeks inbetween for the healing factor) over a period of a couple of years. Finally tossed the worthless grip in the bottom of a box, where it's been for 30 years. I'd advise to get the standard stock. Buying a pistol grip should be cheaper than getting a real stock once you figure out that you need it.

hogdogs
April 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
Fast, was that a "pistol grip only" aka PGO or a pistol grip detached butt stock as the OP was asking of?
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4759/stocktypes.gif

Brent

fastforty
April 6, 2010, 09:53 PM
I missed that, my bad. Might make a bit of difference having the stock tucked under your arm & you could easily transition to shoulder. Sadly, we may not have protruding handgrips on a longarm here anymore, makes it an evil assault weapon.

balazona
April 6, 2010, 10:43 PM
Detached pistol grip stock works great atleast for me.it is easier to handle a semi auto with such stock.YMMV

publius
April 6, 2010, 11:19 PM
They don't feel right to me and I think they're ugly. Some people love them though.

arizona98tj
April 10, 2010, 09:47 PM
I've found that I can support the shotgun, at the ready, with one hand much easier with a pistol grip stock. That doesn't mean I prefer a pistol grip stock. I run a FNH SLP Mark 1 with a standard stock on it and enjoy it very much.

Doc Intrepid
April 10, 2010, 09:57 PM
I prefer the performance of the "detached pistol grip" as shown in the graphic above. But I don't use my shotgun for bird hunting or trap/skeet shooting - where the "detached pistol grip" might be a disadvantage. I use it to practice for and shoot tactically-oriented matches - and in a tactical environment (IMHO) the pistol-grip configuration works better (for me).

If you're hunting with the shotgun, your selection criteria may be different.

Your mileage may vary...

fisherman66
April 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
I prefer the feel of an English style straight grip to the standard grip you find on many American hunting shotguns. I've never held a tac-pistol grip nor a hand grip only. I'm not really interested in those styles, so feel free to discount. I'm mainly interested in birding. You didn't mention your shot gunning priorities, but I'm willing to bet a wooden nickel you are looking for other reasons than hunting.