PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 FS fail to feed after trigger polishing

Ken29745
April 5, 2010, 09:42 PM
While shooting my Beretta 92FS today here's what happened. After firing several rounds, I pulled the trigger, the hammer falls but no bang. Thinking I had a misfire, I wait 30 seconds then remove the clip (wish I would have smacked it first just to check). I was expecting to find a bad primer on the chambered round but quickly saw that a round did not chamber at all? This happened twice out of the 50 rounds I was testing.

I've seen plenty of fail to ejects etc. but I have never seen a complete failure to even grab the bullet from the magazine. I'm really puzzled??

Now for the background: This weekend I polished the hammer and hammer sear with 600 grit sandpaper. This is the first time I've shot the gun since the polishing job. Did I screw something up???? Or is there a problem with my reloads? Thanks

JohnKSa
April 5, 2010, 09:59 PM
Was it a one time failure or did it recur?

If it was a one time failure, I'd guess that perhaps the magazine wasn't properly seated. Had that happen at a match once... :o

geetarman
April 5, 2010, 09:59 PM
Were your reloads feeding fine before?

Try some factory loads and then let us know what happens. Just polishing something should not cause a problem UNLESS you got some junk into an area it does not belong.....or you took something apart and did not put re-assemble correctly.

Good luck.

KurtC
April 6, 2010, 07:15 AM
Never try to diagnose a handgun malfunction until you are trying it with quality, factory ammunition (WWB doesn't count, either ;) ).

Ken29745
April 6, 2010, 06:24 PM
It happened twice out of 50 rounds. I have been having some failure to ejects during this load workup process but none that completely failed to load. This is the first time this has [ever] happened with this gun. What is WWB?

Ken29745
April 6, 2010, 06:28 PM
I just remembered that I took apart the magazine and cleaned it too. Maybe I've got the spring in wrong if thats possible?? I'll take a look.

Mike38
April 6, 2010, 08:34 PM
It's a safe bet that 90% of failure to feed in a semi auto pistol are magazine related. Check that mag spring. Did you happen to drop the mag body while cleaning it? It could be a bent lip.

In the 8+ years and thousands of rounds I've had my 92FS I have never had a feed or extract problem. Never. But now that I said that..... :(

IdahoG36
April 6, 2010, 08:38 PM
I don't see how polishing the surfaces of the sear and hammer could possibly cause any kind of FTF issues. As others have stated, most likely an issue with the mag.

Ken29745
April 6, 2010, 08:52 PM
I checked the magazine over real well and pulled the spring out. Everything looks good??? No bent lips or anything. I even compared it with another magazine. I'm baffled.

JohnKSa
April 6, 2010, 11:03 PM
Assuming the magazine was seated then it sounds like a weak magazine spring.