PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to shoot STEEL shot through Mossberg 500, 20 gauge, with cylinder bore?

ursavus.elemensis
April 3, 2010, 07:34 PM
Is it OK to shoot STEEL shot through Mossberg 500, 20 gauge, with cylinder bore, 18 1/2 inch barrel? I've got a box of 25 of these shells, but I've heard that they will damage the barrel....

hogdogs
April 3, 2010, 07:47 PM
Yes, I think it is completely safe.
Just for reference, what ever the choke is for lead, consider it a complete choke size tighter for steel... rule of thumb...

Mossberg says you may get better results with "accu-steel" choke tubes if your barrel is threaded...

Brent

noyes
April 3, 2010, 08:15 PM
Owner's Manual

http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?ID=520&section=service

ursavus.elemensis
April 4, 2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks. The manual does not really say one way or the other. The guys at my local gun shop said that if it is cylinder bore, which it is, then it is OK to fire steel shot. Any other opinions here?

I have another question, too, but I'll ask in a seperate thread.

natman
April 5, 2010, 06:51 AM
It should be perfectly safe. A Mossberg 500 has thick walls and a cylinder choke will present no problem.

Why do you want to shoot steel?

the rifleer
April 5, 2010, 02:59 PM
a cylinder bore is not a choke. That means there is no choke, its the same diameter the whole way through the barrel.:rolleyes:

natman
April 6, 2010, 05:26 AM
I guess you'd better contact Midway and everyone else that sells choke tubes and inform them that the ones marked "CYL" should be referred to as BORE tubes. :)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=523570

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Medium/523570.jpg

hogdogs
April 6, 2010, 08:58 AM
Nat, Nope... Cyl. is a long time term for NO RESTRICTION in the "choke area" of the bore/muzzle.

The fact that tubes are made in Cyl. shows there is a need. But the fact also remains that the tubes of today will always be called "choke tubes" since they screw into the area previously machined in various restrictions...

All this as the old pharts get older and the younger whipper snappers take over and most will have no clue that a choke was once a designation of restriction and not a little screw in accessory...:D

Brent

natman
April 6, 2010, 09:25 AM
Guys, I'm well aware that technically a "choke" refers to the constriction at the end of the muzzle, and that therefore a cylinder bore barrel doesn't have a "choke". I just thought it was a pretty trivial point to raise and wanted to point out that nevertheless cylinder bore choke tubes are still called choke tubes.

Next, how about a lecture on why zero isn't a number. :rolleyes:

hogdogs
April 6, 2010, 09:29 AM
Nat, I wasn't razzin' ya... But you would be surprised how many folks really are un aware of many of the finer points of the ol' scattergun.
Brent

Old Grump
April 6, 2010, 10:30 AM
Is it OK to shoot STEEL shot through Mossberg 500, 20 gauge, with cylinder bore, 18 1/2 inch barrel? I've got a box of 25 of these shells, but I've heard that they will damage the barrel....Never mind the extemporaneous comments. The answer to your question is yes it is safe. If they are cheaper than the lead then buy more and enjoy the savings.