PDA

View Full Version : Thin Recoil Pad for Mossberg 500/590?

vitesse9
April 2, 2010, 11:38 AM
In my ongoing struggle to make my mossberg 590a1 fit me correctly (and hopefully shoot straight thereafter) I have discovered the recoil pad is so thick that it makes the LOP too long. So, without any mechanical tools, I cut the recoil pad down by about 1/2. It fits much better now. But, the recoil pad looks pretty chewed up. It also has exposed holes on it that were apparently cells before I chopped off the back of the recoil pad. I've wrapped the back of the stock with black duct tape and a quick fix to the aesthetic and functional problems created by cutting the recoil pad.

I would like to find a replacement recoil pad that is about 1/2 as thick as the factory to replicate the LOP I have created. Anyone have any recommendations?

zombie237
April 2, 2010, 11:56 AM
Vit, is an M4 type stock out of the question? I purchase a recoil reducing stock made by Blackhawk/Knoxx for my 500 that to me feels really good, but as it came in 2 days ago, I have yet to test the recoil reduction as stated. The packaging states "up to 95% recoil reduction" but most customer reviews state maybe 40-45% at best. To me that's still pretty good and it's a 6 position M4 stlye stock if fit/length is an issue for you as it is for me. If you want to stick with the pad, the same company I ordered stock from had thin stock pads as well. Check www.getgear.us and see if they have what you're currently using. I'll get back on how well the recoil is handled hopefully by the end of this weekend. Good hunting.

zippy13
April 2, 2010, 12:10 PM
Check out Pachmayr's they are the ones who started the whole recoil pad business back in the day. They may have a pad the exact thickness you need.
http://www.pachmayr.com/recoil-pads.php