PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Feeding issues

1stkoolkid
March 21, 2010, 12:59 PM
Hi, I'm new to TheFiringLine. I have a question concerning my Bushmaster model xm15-e2s M16A2 style AR-15. I'm having trouble getting it to feed properly. I just bought it not too long ago, and when I got it it was firing perfectly, ie, I could empty a 30 round mag in 10 seconds ish. Well, it started jamming really bad- it wasn't ejecting the previous shell and it was trying to feed a new shell. Well, that was a simple fix- it just needed to be cleaned and lubed. However, now it's being really finicky about feeding. Every once and a while I'll be able to fire like normal. However, most of the time after firing the first round when it tries to chamber the next round the bolt starts to push the next round into the chamber, but its like it just barely catches, and then it starts to ride over the shell. To fix it, all I have to do is drop the mag, pull back the charging handle and let the shell fall into the chamber, but then as soon as I fire that round the same thing happens again. Here's a pic: http://brandons-music-page.googlegroups.com/web/IMG_0297.jpg?hl=en&gsc=TqQpCwsAAADuE3mIzBr4vKaQvwMlFYxo

I'm completely out of solutions, other than I totally hate the lube I have... I'm used to the CLP I use on my M16 at my guard unit... this stuff is in an aerosol can, and it seems to be more with cleaning in mind than lubing (though it claims to be good for both). I've never experienced this type of jam before, and don't know of anyone else who has either. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

rjrivero
March 21, 2010, 01:54 PM
These kind of feed issues are USUALLY magazine related. Do you have another mag you can try? What kind of magazines are you using? You may have to go ahead and either rebuild this mag (New spring and follower) or just try a new magazine.

If you are going to rebuild a magazine, I suggest using Magpul's no tilt follower.

RJ

Bartholomew Roberts
March 21, 2010, 04:42 PM
Is there a mark on the empty case rim from the extractor? Can you take a picture of the stoppage?

tkcomer
March 21, 2010, 04:56 PM
What ammo are you using? Is it the steel cased “animal” brand? If so, the chamber might be dirty and may need a good scrubbing. Steel cased ammo “dirties” up the chamber more than brass as the steel doesn't expand like brass and allows a little blow by to get back. It's perfectly fine to shoot that stuff, ya just gotta pay more attention to the chamber when you clean. What you describe is short stroking. The fact that it worked perfect makes me wonder if the chamber is dirty. It's either that, or the gas key has come loose on top of the bolt. Ya might check to see if the two screws on top of the bolt are still tight.

macsr01
March 21, 2010, 06:30 PM
Based on that Picture, I'd start with the mags. Of all the problems I ever saw with the M-16's at Camp Lejeune, Most started with bad mags. Change your mags then go from there.

Lavid2002
March 21, 2010, 07:03 PM
+1 Magazine get some legit ones give it another shot :P

Nova_gts
March 25, 2010, 07:44 PM
I am having the exact same issue, except this is my first time shooting the new (used) gun.
I also tried 4 different Mags.
One thing I did notice about my expelled casings was they were kind of squared off in one place.

Lavid2002
March 25, 2010, 07:45 PM
Magazine related most likely, slap that puppy to make sure its seated right....Seat the magazine with the bolt locked back NOT with a closed bolt.

Try again let us know : )

Edit: Nova....4 different mags dont change anything if there all garbage magazines(Possibility). Get a legitimate mag like Magpul and try again.

blume357
March 25, 2010, 08:01 PM
before inserting so that all rounds will seat backwards, and as mentioned above ... insert with bolt open.

Lavid2002
March 25, 2010, 08:14 PM
If you have a full mag and try to seat with the bolt closed the bottom of the bolt pushes against the cartridges in the mag and makes seating the mag right a PITA....very unreliable. I hear swat and military personnel *Maybe grunts too?* seat 30 rd mags to 28 rds for
1) the spring....even though springs dont wear out...
2) this reason

I think #2 is more important.....but they just blame it on #1 and call it a day:cool: