PDA

View Full Version : 1911 insights

Redneck_Riot
March 18, 2010, 09:09 AM
hey there fellas,

I am going to be purchasing a new 1911 pistol and have decided on two manufacturers, Ed Brown or Les Baer.

I would like some advice on which of the two is the better deal for the money, I am leaning toward the ed brown but would like to make the best educated purchase.

I am not going to use this pistol for ipsc, just cc and range looking for the best quality for my coin

Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

Nowhere Man
March 18, 2010, 09:16 AM
You won't go wrong with either one. Both are top of the heap!

Dave

stevekolt
March 18, 2010, 08:41 PM
You won't go wrong with either one. Both are top of the heap!

What he said!:)

I was looking for my "grail" pistol, and after comparing the higher end 1911's, I ended up buying a new Ed Brown Kobra Carry. It has been absolutely flawless right out of the box. My next may be a Baer, but after my experience with Ed Brown, I just may have to go back to them for my next one :D Either an Executive Carry or a full size Kobra.

VHinch
March 18, 2010, 09:13 PM
Both are top shelf, but my personal preference is Les Baer.

KyJim
March 18, 2010, 09:16 PM
The Brown is more finely finished but both guns will serve you well. Baers are fit extremely tight. You'll struggle getting the bushing off even with a bushing wrench. Baer recommends a break-in period of 300 rounds (or more). Brown says his doesn't need a break-in period.

I bought a Brown first and a (used) Baer later. I enjoy them both.

Shane Tuttle
March 18, 2010, 09:22 PM
This is my reason why I choose Les Baer. I don't know Ed Browns very well, but after reading from this link you'll see why it's a no-brainer for me.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400152

BigJimP
March 19, 2010, 01:02 PM
In higher end 1911's - Ed Brown, Les Baer and Wilson Combat are probably the top of the pyramid.

Of the 3 - on fit and finish and reliability - Wilson Combat is my choice.

I have one Ed Brown - a Kobra carry - and its a decent gun / fit and finish is fine - shoots well ( but it needed a break in of 500 rounds or so ). As it turns out / after having it for a few years, I really don't like the bob-tail. I have big hands - and in a rapid fire course of fire like a: 6 rds - reload - and six rds - the bob-tail lets the gun walk in my palm a little - and it gets away from me more than I really like in a full size gun. Its not the guns fault / its me ...

I have one Les Baer - a monolith. The gun took close to 1,000 rds to really break it in. I think he makes his guns too tight / or unnecessarily tight. I also don't think the fit and finish is what it ought to be / especially the blued areas are a little soft. Now that the gun is broken in - its does shoot very well / but the fit and finish will never get any better.

I much prefer the fit, finish and reliability of Wilsons CQB and Protector models, 5" guns ... and I have some in 9mm, .40S&W and .45 acp - they're all great guns. All 4 of them, ran 100% right out of the box - with no break in. One of them is coming up on 10 yrs old / has the Armor Tuff finish on it / its my carry gun - and it still looks great. All of my Wilson's have thousands of rounds thru them.

If I was choosing between a Baer or Ed Brown only / I would go with Ed Brown. The Wilson's are a little more money - but at least worth a look ...if you know anyone that has one you might be able to testfire.

greyson97
March 19, 2010, 01:14 PM
wait, is this your new 1911 which will be an addition to your existing collection of at least 1 other 1911?

or will this be the very first 1911 you have ever owned and used?

Snub357
March 19, 2010, 01:30 PM
Sometimes I shoot insight, but I like shooting outsight better.

:)

You cannot go wrong with either one.

Redneck_Riot
April 6, 2010, 08:11 AM
thanks all for the great knowledge and advice, I ordered a Wilson Combat CQB, this is my third 1911 pistol in my collection most likely going to get the ed brown executive carry after next deployment.

Thanks again for all the excellent replys to my question.