PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating My New Doublestar

allgrainer
March 14, 2010, 09:20 AM
I finally bought an AR. Doublestar flat top. I use Brian Enos Slide Glide on my pistols and I am pleased with the results. Can Slide Glide be used on an AR? If so what parts should get a light coat of Slide Glide? Bolt/Carrier, Charging handle, etc? What is a good lubricant other than slide glide to use on this rifle?

Thanks

10-96
March 14, 2010, 09:49 AM
I'm not familiar with slide glide, but if it isn't a grease- then go for it. Lubing an AR isn't down to a science if you're not in a sandbox. It's really not a major thing to stress over. If it comes a can, tube, bottle, or whatever and it says something about lubing a firearm- then it'll work just fine. AR's aren't as delicate as some folks think. I don't like Rem-Oil, but you can get by with just about anything from synthetic motor oil, automatic tranny fluid, 3-In-One oil, sewing machine oil, precision gage oil, fishing reel oil, musical instrument valve/slide oil, and even good old clear mineral oil from the pharmaceutical 'I can't poop' section of Walmart. There's tons of stuff on the market, and if you're still losing sleep over it, buy a bottle of Break Free CLP (CLP= Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant). And, don't do the WD-40 thing- it's a good solvent and penetrant but no bueno as a lube.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 14, 2010, 10:12 AM
Google (or search here at TFL) for "Keep it Running" by Pat Rogers. He describes the best way to maintain an AR.