PDA

View Full Version : Department of Education Buying Shotguns!

Scattergun Bob
March 11, 2010, 10:39 AM
For those of you who went NUTS with the IRS buying shotguns this one should really get in your Knickers:D.

The U.S. Department of Education (ED) intends to purchase twenty-seven (27) REMINGTON BRAND MODEL 870 POLICE 12/14P MOD GRWC XS4 KXCS SF. RAMAC #24587 GAUGE: 12 BARREL: 14" - PARKERIZED CHOKE: MODIFIED SIGHTS: GHOST RING REAR WILSON COMBAT; FRONT - XS CONTOUR BEAD SIGHT STOCK: KNOXX REDUCE RECOIL ADJUSTABLE STOCK FORE-END: SPEEDFEED SPORT-SOLID - 14" LOP are designated as the only shotguns authorized for ED based on compatibility with ED existing shotgun inventory, certified armor and combat training and protocol, maintenance, and parts.

A spokesperson for the Department of Education says the guns are for use by officers with the agency’s Office of Inspector General. They have full federal law enforcement authority, and the IG’s office investigates “waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations.”

Well, AT LEAST they are buying the Right scattergun:D.

The thought of vested and scattergun armed agents running down the halls of a Kindergarten / elementary school gives a whole new meaning to "hall monitoring" and sends a chill down my spine! :eek:

Good Luck & Keep Your Kids Safe.

FreakGasolineFight
March 11, 2010, 10:44 AM
The Dept. of Education shouldn't be issued guns. Ditto on the IRS. If they truly need to be protected from someone or something they can go right ahead and call the local PD.

Glenn E. Meyer
March 11, 2010, 10:46 AM
27 shotguns for all the fraud and abuse in the entire US educational system?

Seems like a plan to me. :D

Next thing, there will be shotgun armed police in the steam rooms of Congress. :eek:

Technosavant
March 11, 2010, 10:54 AM
Better not forget your hall pass. :D

Scattergun Bob
March 11, 2010, 10:56 AM
Next thing, there will be shotgun armed police in the steam rooms of Congress.

IS THAT A 14" SCATTERGUN UNDER YOUR TOWEL HONNEY, OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME!:barf:

mathman
March 11, 2010, 11:34 AM
With all the money that is wasted in the Dept of Ed, at least the money spent here will last a while. ;)

zippy13
March 11, 2010, 12:08 PM
Scattergun Bob, my friend, we sure are living in interesting times. Shotguns for education funding fraud enforcement: Do I laugh or cry?

comn-cents
March 11, 2010, 12:29 PM
Does anyone actually know who will be issued these and what their job is? I say if they need them why not! I read an article 10 years a go how Israel had a long history of shootings in school. Then they started training people to carry on campuses. No one new who was carrying and who wasn't, but the word was out that there were armed teachers and or parents ready to defend their school. It has seemed to work, I've never heard of a school shooting in Israel. Maybe the Vice Principal will be toting a shotgun around discouraging would be confused children from doing anything stupid.

Scattergun Bob
March 11, 2010, 04:19 PM
Does anyone actually know who will be issued these and what their job is?

As stated in my origional post;
A spokesperson for the Department of Education says the guns are for use by officers with the agency’s Office of Inspector General. They have full federal law enforcement authority, and the IG’s office investigates “waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations.”

Scattergun Bob
March 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
Pete, my friend, my only great solace in life is that I am at the end of my life and not the beginning. I am hoping that I may sit on the sidelines and hold the horses thru the events that seem to be coming our way.

My father used to say that LIFE is what happens while your are trying to plan out your future.

Good Luck & Be Safe

sheepman
March 11, 2010, 07:15 PM
These are the same folks that think the rest of the population should be disarmed?

BigJimP
March 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
Aw come on Bob ....its almost Friday .... show a little Optimism ...

Common sense may prevail ....we can at least hope .../ and with a little diligence and careful attention from the citizens ...(I wish I was more confident in our average citizens ability to read, learn and care about some of this stuff ....).

It wouldn't be like this if we were in charge ....and I'm too old and cranky ...but if you run for Congress, I'll support you .... I'd even loan you that Sig X-Five you like - for a desk gun ...

I'm with Zippy...but I can't just cry ....so I have to laugh ...and email my congressmen and senators ... and at least ask what they heck they're doing on this issue .. Stay well my friend !

Pezo
March 11, 2010, 07:29 PM
My first inclination on this topic was, cool they're finally teaching some interesting things in school. I wish they had defensive shotgunning when I was there. :rolleyes:

ADB
March 11, 2010, 09:11 PM
These are the same folks that think the rest of the population should be disarmed?

Where'd that come from?

nutty ned
March 11, 2010, 09:45 PM
Here it is again.
It is to enforce attendance at PTA meetings.

Mr Dish
March 11, 2010, 09:51 PM
You know.....If my old math teacher had been packing a shotgun...I would have paid better attention

Dfariswheel
March 11, 2010, 10:22 PM
What possible need could a "fraud, abuse, and waste" unit have for short barrel shotguns.
The only possible purpose for that type of gun is for raids, and the Department of Education has NO business doing raids.

There's way too many Federal agencies arming themselves to the teeth, and in most cases, its so they can enhance their image not because they have any need.
This leads increasingly to the attitude that the citizens are the just prey of whoever thinks they should enforce the myriad laws that are on the books.

In too many cases, the guns and the black raid gear is nothing more than a status symbol between agencies.

BlackFeather
March 12, 2010, 01:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/BloodiedKris/1265203476924-1.jpg

2damnold4this
March 12, 2010, 11:07 AM
Does every federal agency need its own law enforcement branch? Does the Department of Silly Walks need some goose stepping agents?

LanceOregon
March 12, 2010, 11:17 AM
Then there is the Federal Protective Services Police force, which now numbers 2,200 nation-wide.

We have a few of these officers assigned to where I live, to protect the local federal buildings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/US_Federal_Protective_Service_Vehicle.jpeg

RetiredLawman
March 12, 2010, 12:34 PM
Somebody has already stolen their hubcaps.:D

Uncle Ben
March 12, 2010, 01:15 PM
This seems to go along with what most of "us" generally believe...that the good guys need to have guns since the bad guys will have them and use them without asking permission from anybody - regardless of the fact that just about all schools are "gun free" zones. Somehow the bad guys don't really seem to care if there is a sign outside that says "gun free zone" :barf:

Of course I would rather the teachers and other school staff be able to carry legally on campus with a CC permit, so that the schools could be filled with guns in the hands of the "good guys", and spread all throughout the campus, whether it be elementary, highschool, or college.

BillCA
March 12, 2010, 01:36 PM
Whoa! The department of education?

Okay, so how violent are these people who are committing “waste, fraud, abuse, and other criminal activity involving Federal education funds, programs, and operations?"

Help me understand this. The IG investigators uncover some kind of violation. Are they going to suit up in black armor and bring tactical shotguns to arrest someone? Will they do that to...
-- The linoleum contractor who overbilled $80,000?
-- A coach who gets a kickback to recommend a sports store?
-- The owner of a furniture store who overcharged for the principal's new desk?
-- The five teens who vandalized two dozen lockers?
-- Four thieves who stole six computers from the school lab?

C'mon. They develop the case, get a warrant and then call on local PD or Federal agents to arrest these folks.

I can't even see this as justified for officers who patrol federal department buildings using a car like that shown above. If they see something suspicious, they should call for backup from the local PD.

In too many cases, the guns and the black raid gear is nothing more than a status symbol between agencies.
Gotta agree with Dfariswheel on this one.

Does every federal agency need its own law enforcement branch? Does the Department of Silly Walks need some goose stepping agents?
Thanks... I needed to mop off my keyboard anyhow. :D

Doc Intrepid
March 12, 2010, 01:42 PM
Wait until you see the M-1 Abrams tanks purchased by the Bureau of Land Management.....

;)

crghss
March 12, 2010, 02:02 PM
I stopped laughing a long time ago. :(

spacecoast
March 12, 2010, 02:19 PM
27 shotguns for all the fraud and abuse in the entire US educational system?

They're going to need a lot more than that...

teeroux
March 25, 2010, 02:37 AM
I still don't get why there is an enforcement agency for the Dep. of Education. Did the FBI get over educated into donut eating desk jockeys?

Corrected per BILLCA

mete
March 25, 2010, 09:40 AM
The DOE is the agency that , with the teachers union, destroyed our education system !:mad: For the guns perhaps they are part of the Homeland Security .

mpd61
March 25, 2010, 03:57 PM
relax...These folks are all FLETC trained to the same degree as U.S. Marshals, Treasury, and other agents. A small, but necessary cadre, that we shouldn't waste our time worrying about. Besides law enforcment in nearly ANY venue can be hazardous to your health.
;)

BillCA
March 25, 2010, 07:59 PM
I still don't get why there is an enforcement agency for the DOE. Did the FBI get over edjucated into donut eating desk jockeys?

"DOE" is a misleading acronym.

The Dept. of Education has a small police force to secure mostly it's admistration buildings.

The "other" DOE - Department of Energy employs it's own "security force". Among other places they guard are...
- Oak Ridge Laboratories, TN
- Nuclear Power Plants
- Lawrence Livermore National Labs in CA
- Sandia National Labs in NM
- Fermi Labs outside of Chicago
- National Ignition Facility (Fusion research)

And many other facilities.
Some of these facilities require only minimal gate security and light facility security (i.e. Sandia is on Kirtland AFB) while others require a 30-40 man force (e.g. Lawrence Livermore).