PDA

View Full Version : DSA SA58 FAL PARA bolt carrier gets stuck

marswu
March 3, 2010, 09:45 AM
I just purchased a new DSA SA58 FAL PARA rifle and when I field strip, the bolt carrier "cams" or gets stuck in the receiver. A rep from DSA told me to either turn the rifle upside down ("for beginners or new owners") or place my fingers in such a way as to make sure the bolt rides forward in the carrier. Even after using my fingers to "ease" the bolt carrier into the receiver, the bolt carrier will get stuck when I try to get it out.

Anyone else experience this?

wogpotter
March 3, 2010, 10:09 AM
Try pointing the muzzle vertically down when removing the bolt & carrier. The weight of the bolt should "uncam" it & allow it to be pulled free to the rear.

marswu
March 3, 2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks wogpotter! Will try.

DMK
March 3, 2010, 11:04 AM
That is a little annoying. I just push the bolt up into the carrier as I ease it down into the receiver. It's not just a Para thing. My regular FAL does it too.

Another tip: If you have a fixed top cover (like a scope mount) make sure your hammer is cocked before field stripping the rifle. You can't put the bolt/carrier back in with the hammer up and pushing it back down with your finger through the ejection port is a pain.

marswu
March 3, 2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks DMK. I was wondering if the regular FALS had the same problem (tilting breech lock) - my understanding is that the PARA has a different bolt carrier design than the regular FALS and I never read anything about this annoyance from regular FAL owners until now.

Though I admire the build quality and other facets of my DSA PARA FAL, I regard this particular annoyance as unacceptable for a true battle rifle. I do have a fixed extended duty scope mount with a small removable recoil rod that broke the very first time I field stripped my rifle. DSA told me that they tend to break because of the heat treatment they apply to the part and I had to pay an extra $30 to replace it.

Thanks again for your input!

wogpotter
March 3, 2010, 01:52 PM
The main difference between the para & regular FALs is the position of the recoil springs & the guide in the para. There is a guide rod on the rear of the bolt carrier (rat tail) of the fixed stock version that makes for a handy extraction handle too. The bolt & carrier's lockup is identical, but the paras springs positioning makes it a bit more difficult.

In a full length FAL the springs are in the butt stock so they don't come into play till after the rifle is closed.
The tipping vertically down works fine for me, but I have a regular, so it'll be a little harder for you with the para recoil springs coming into play, just drop in or pull out vertically after tensioning or relaxing the springs separately & you'll be fine..

DMK
March 3, 2010, 02:28 PM
I do have a fixed extended duty scope mount with a small removable recoil rod that broke the very first time I field stripped my rifle. DSA told me that they tend to break because of the heat treatment they apply to the part and I had to pay an extra $30 to replace it. That's a little disturbing. This part here is a DSA "improvement" to the FN Para design.

I've considered converting my Para back to a fixed stock configuration. The fixed stock FAL does seem more robust to me. The DSA Para just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

ostrobothnian
March 3, 2010, 02:44 PM
Though I admire the build quality and other facets of my DSA PARA FAL, I regard this particular annoyance as unacceptable for a true battle rifle.

All FALS are like that. You'll have it down in no time. It just becomes second nature when you reassemble the rifle. The 92 countries that have used the FN FAL rifle in their military forces have figured it out. ;)

That's kinda like saying "I find it unacceptable that I have to install the charging handle in my AR first before I install the bolt assembly. :)

RT
March 3, 2010, 03:14 PM
If you get too annoyed with your FAL, I'll buy it. I have been itching for a Para.

wogpotter
March 3, 2010, 06:04 PM
If you think that's tough..............just wait till you start adjusting the gas:( higher numbers mean less gas no, really:D