PDA

View Full Version : Best .45 ACP load

Bottom Gun
October 16, 1998, 05:10 PM
What is the best .45 ACP load for personal defense?
For target shooting?

October 16, 1998, 07:17 PM
Depends on how the gun is set up, and it's inherent predilections for fodder.

o1paw
October 16, 1998, 10:48 PM
My favorite defence load is the 230gr Hydra Shock, and for just plinking, I hand-load 230 gr Hornady XTP's.

Jon
October 17, 1998, 10:12 AM
I am really partial to Federal's 230 gr. Hydrashock as a round that can double for an accurate off the shelf target round and a very capable self-defense round... Although I really like Proloads 185 gr. Gold Dot loading for self-defense alone... I think that it has a great combination of sheer energy, controlled penetration and reliable expansion...

But the best advice is to try out a variety of loads in your gun to see which one it functions the best with, and to see which one matches with you the best (i.e. controllable recoil, price, availability, etc.) You really can't go wrong with any of the top bullet designs now days. So hit the firing range and see what works out best! Have fun...

Any .45
August 24, 2004, 03:49 PM
I agree with the hydra shok, also like the cor'bon powerball 200 gr :D

Arc Angel
August 24, 2004, 04:42 PM
:) As utterly pedestrian as it may be I like my old standby loading: A 230grn. FMJ bullet over 5.0grns. of Alliant, 'Red Dot' canister powder. I know it ain't sexy; but it sure does hurt, and your sight picture stays right there! :D

D-Ric902
August 25, 2004, 10:47 AM
I use a 230 Grn Gold Dot for defense (very accurate)

I have a springfield I use for target and it like 200 Grn SWC, but I hear most use the 185 Grn SWC as pretty much a standard

PsychoSword
August 25, 2004, 01:57 PM
I like the +P 230gr. Winchester Ranger.

TheBluesMan
August 25, 2004, 02:08 PM
Generalized answer: Whichever feeds 100% reliably in your pistol.

Personalized answer: Eldorado Starfire230gr. JHP from PMC works 100% in my Taurus.

Ghost-1
August 25, 2004, 07:46 PM
For practice I use wally world 100rnd value packs and for personale protection I use either corbon or hydra shock.

Arizona Fusilier
August 25, 2004, 08:29 PM
Hansen 230gr "match".

I don't even know if that's around anymore!

Tommy Vercetti
August 25, 2004, 08:53 PM
I use Winchester White Box at the range and 230 grain Hydra Shoks for social purposes :rolleyes:

DD698
August 25, 2004, 09:30 PM
For more serious target work I use 200 gr lead SWC bullets pushed by 5.3 grs of Win 231. For carry purposes I use a 230gr FMJ RN bullet propelled by 5.1 Win 231. [SPECIAL NOTE NOT ALL 45s WILL FEED THE SWCs ]

Sulaco
August 25, 2004, 10:05 PM
I shoot Winchester Whitebox for range practice and 230gr CorBon HP's (I'm seeing upwards of 900fps) for defense.

This is in a Glock 21 I carry most days.

Jeff OTMG
August 27, 2004, 12:53 AM
RBCD Tactical at over 2300 fps.

GlockGuy19
August 28, 2004, 02:22 PM
I use 165 grain Fedral Hydra Shocks for defence. As a traget round i just get the cheapest 45 round that is usually FMJ.

Tripplethreat
August 29, 2004, 10:04 AM
I like the Hydrashocks,followed by Goolden Sabre,Gold Dot,Ranger T, and plain old hardball for pracrtice. All standard pressure from Glock 30.All 230gr.

Tamara
August 29, 2004, 12:43 PM
Defense: Most of my 1911's are loaded with 230gr Golden Saber.
Plinkin'/target shooting: I like Georgia Arms 200gr plated SWC's; cheap, and accurate enough on my 15yd backyard range.

Geoff Timm
August 29, 2004, 04:48 PM
Hornady 200 grain "Flying Ashtray" Hollow points. And the Blazer practice round.

Geoff
Who is old fashioned. :cool:

eka
August 29, 2004, 06:28 PM
Defense: Remington Golden Sabres

Target: Master Match 230 GR. JHP / 5.9 Gr. Unique / Federal primer

Lennyjoe
September 6, 2004, 01:20 PM
Current carry load in my Kimber Pro Carry is Speer Gold Dot 200gr +P.

OF
September 7, 2004, 07:50 AM
Winchester RA45T and RA45TP are the best performing .45ACP defense rounds available, this is the 'Ranger-T' line, which Winchester only sells to law enforcement, but is legal to own and use regardless.

- Gabe

Zak Smith
September 7, 2004, 10:18 AM
I won't say it's the best, but this load has served me well in IPSC and 3Gun for the last almost two years. I've probably loaded about 10k of it.

200gr West Coast plated round nose, 1.260", 5.1gr Titegroup. Any LP primer.

-z

foghornl
September 7, 2004, 10:30 AM
What works for me & my .45ACP's...
Defense Load is the 230-Gr Remington Golden Sabre.
Practice load Winny White Box 230-Gr ball.

(Also, a commercial reloader near me makes a pretty good 230-Gr ball load)

Treylis
September 7, 2004, 12:36 PM
230-grain Winchester Ranger Talons (RA45T) in my Springfield 1911 for defense, WWB 230-grain ball for practice.

Pappy John
September 8, 2004, 11:15 AM
I'm currently carrying the Cor-Bon Pow'R'Balls in my Kimber. Yeah, yeah, I know....I'm just a sucker for a marketing shtick. Feeds well though and the idea looks good on paper. Hopefully, I'll never have to find out how their terminal performance really works.

Practice time calls for cheap, lead round noses.

glock.40cal
September 12, 2004, 07:18 PM
i like the 230grn jhp golden sabers

Darkangel
September 14, 2004, 05:20 PM
I just saw an article, on another gun site, comparing the different HPs.
It seems to me that the Hydra Shoks are real speed sensitative. About one third did not even open up even when good velocities were reached.
The gold sabers, gold dot, corbons looked great. This is about the third time I've seen evidence that the Hydra-Shoks failed to do what they were supposed to do. The Salem Oregon PD is changing from Hydra Shok to ??, because they failed to open up even after going through a perp, three sides of dry wall and a stud.
I used to be a real Hydra-Shok man but I'm thinking Corbons, or Gold Sabers from now on.

bearkiller
September 14, 2004, 05:32 PM
I like hard ball in my 1911, even though it will feed HP's. Either way, that .45 caliber hole is given, expansion or not.

gyp_c2
September 14, 2004, 06:50 PM
200gr XTP...@ 950-1000

trapshooter
September 14, 2004, 06:52 PM
After a ton of thought, research, blah, blah, blah.... I'm going with a 200 grain hollowpoint at +P+ velocities. It's a compromise, I know. I understand the arguments for 230 grain bullets, whether hardball or hollowpoint. Can't say that I disagree, but I have staked out what I see as the middle ground. 200 grain bullets give decent energy retention at 50+ yards, and will expand reliably if driven fairly fast. I use an overstrength spring to compensate for the slide velocity on recoil, etc., etc.

Silvertips, Hornady XTP's, or Gold Dots. Kind of a toss up between the XTP's and the Silvertips. YMMV. I wouldn't not carry the heavier stuff, but I'm not impressed by the lightweight bullets under 200gr. :confused:

JMurman
September 15, 2004, 10:15 AM
I gave up 230 gr Hydra Shocks for 200 gr +P Gold Dots. Practice ammo used to be cheap 230 gr FMJ, I have just ordered 200 gr LSWC.

Wadoo
November 10, 2004, 10:14 PM
Jacketed hollowpoints are a fairly recent phenomenon. Even though they are promoted highly as personal defense ammo they have their drawbacks (failures to feed and penetrate). As a counterpoint, look back on the 500 year history of firearms and the work that solid projectiles have performed, and then review the military history and dependability of 45 FMJ for the past 100 years. When considering the lethal history of 45 ammo in the past century, it would not surprise me if jacketed hollowpoints have accounted for only a small fraction of 1%.

Handy
November 11, 2004, 12:56 AM
For targets/bowling pins/ yada, yada I load 230 gr. West Coast brand plated RN.

I don't have a .45 I'd carry, but if I did I'd likely refer to this site for a little scientific guidance:
http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/45acp.htm

For the most part, most .45 HPs are going to be fairly effective, so even just buying the premium name-brand load that's on sale would probably be safe enough. It isn't like trying to find the perfect .380 load. All the ammo makers try very hard to offer rounds just as good as the next guy's. But it does need to be some sort of expanding ammo.

almtiba
November 11, 2004, 01:29 PM
CBC (Magtech) makes a real HOT +P load: 185gr. HP, at 1150fps in my S&W645.

I like the 230gr. Hydra Shock, too.

Handloads:
1) 200gr. Nylon coated HP, 6.2gr. Win 231
2) 220gr. Lead SWC, 6.0gr. Win 231

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil

Tom2
November 11, 2004, 03:05 PM
Folks useing some of the exotic ammo I have seen listed-how much did it cost you to run enought ammo thru the gun to confirm load reliability, like maybe 200 rds? Whatever the drawbacks of useing ball, like some do, I expect that the jam factor is lots less with good ammo.(I had seen misfires and problems with the Russian steel stuff). I used to load the so called "Air Force" bullets that were a FMJ with a coned nose and a flat tip. Think it was Hornady bullets. Supposedly had more target terminal shock than a round nose bullet, but was originally a 9MM bullet design?

TomNash
November 11, 2004, 08:01 PM
Shoot your chosen round into a half gallon orange juice carton filled completely with water. Back the target with a long box (approx 24x8x8") packed full of pillow stuffing, preferably before shooting the OJ carton ;). If the bullet measures around 0.65"-0.70", you have a 'winner'. All JHPs that expand within this range will penetrate 12" in calibrated ballistic gelatin. More expansion gives less penetration and less expansion gives more penetration. Good luck... Tom

Rob96
November 12, 2004, 05:53 AM
I use 230gr Remington Golden Sabers, 230gr Hydrashoks or 230 gr Winchester JHP.

Desert Dog
November 12, 2004, 12:21 PM
Handloads using Sierra Power Jacket JHP's are totally reliable in my gun for SD...

Target? 230 gr. RNL's over 5.5 gr. Unique...

Bulldozer
November 12, 2004, 01:52 PM
My Series 70 Combat Commander just LOVES the PMC-El Dorado Starfire JHP. Over 300 rounds of them through the gun w/o a single hiccup.

Recovered specimens from pumpkins and wet phonebooks are pretty impressive.

The 200-grain JHP by Speer handloads are also used, and work very well. Expansion from that monster is just incredible to behold.

vetts1911
November 13, 2004, 01:31 AM
250 lead round nose 45 acp pops like a cap gun gun, hits like a bull. Load data lee load manual.

Gonzo_308
November 13, 2004, 08:40 AM
Geoff Timm where do you find those things? I thought they were made by CCI.

I'm partial to the Hydra-Shok myself. I'll use anything I also like the Gold Dots.

My carry 45 likes the Hydra-shok too. it seems to be a unanimous decision in this pairing (the gun and me).

Gold dots throw a flyer every now and then in my carry gun. Go figure (shrug)

Popcorn Coolie
November 13, 2004, 05:22 PM
Winchester doesn't like it when people refer to their SXT as Black Talon, because they're trying to burry the bull**** that was caused by the name BLACK TALON. :)

All Winchester Did was change the bullet from a teflon coated bullet r teflon coated copper jacket to a plain copper jacket and then they changed the casing from silver to brass. Then call it Ranger SXT instead of Black Talon.

RA45T is a great cartridge, but your talkin .45. Anything that's a bullet is good enough. As long as it makes em bleed.

Again your talkin a pistol. It's not the greatest weapon for defense. If you want a weapon for self defense get your self a pump chump. Load that mother up with 4buck, double 00buck or SABOTs. Well maybe not SABOTs. The penetration is too high to be using on humans in close quaters. Just get yourself some standard rifles slugs.

Danindetroit
November 13, 2004, 06:29 PM
Their original KTW bullet centered around a case-hardened steel core. Even at standard velocities, this core would obviously hold its shape and drill through automobiles, cinder blocks and other materials likely to defeat conventional police handgun loads. This was literally the core of the solution, but presented difficulties. The hard core would not take rifling and would ruin the bore. A gliding-metal jacket with full teflon coating took care of this. The round gave good penetration but poor accuracy at long range.

The claim was made by the media that the teflon also lubricated the point of impact and increased penetration dramatically. That claim, in reference to soft body armor, was convincingly refuted by government test, with the Justice Dept. saying it "has little or no effect on the penetrating qualities of the projectile" and the Treasury Dept. labeling it as "little more than a cosmetic additive." But the fact that Teflon protects the bore from the ill effects of the hard bullet core is incontrovertible. By end of 1981, KTW was offering its products in most handgun calibers. Sales were still limited to police agencies or police officers ordering through federally licensed dealers, and were still limited in volume. Winchester designed the Ranger Talon with what they call a "reverse-taper" copper jacket. What this means is that the copper jacket on the Ranger Talon is thicker at the tip than at its base, and this is the opposite of conventional hollowpoint bullet designs. This thickness is necessary to provide stiffness to the talons after expansion so they remain in ideal position to cut tissue that flows around the mushroom skirt.

I am not sure but I think you have 2 different bullets put into the black talon category. :) The original theory that black talons were armor piercing, or "cop killers comes from the fact that they had a black tip on the bullet. In the military this represents an ap round, and some reporter heard this and assumed it meant the same thing in the civilian sector. Anybody who knows more can post better details, but I think this is the basics of the myth. :)

This additional cutting mechanism gives Ranger Talon the potential to be approximately 3% to 5% more effective than other expanding bullets of the same caliber. In one out of every 20-30 shootings, Ranger Talon might make a difference. This very slight advantage could be just enough to save the life of a police officer who has to shoot a psychotic, enraged or chemically intoxicated attacker who is oblivious to being shot

Since they are marketed at law enforcement they should probably be called "cop savers". Can they be bought in most states by civilians who walk into a gun store, or is it like MI that they must be bought at a store that sells equipment and guns to leo's only, and can give a discount. That does not mean leo's must buy from them if they don't stock what they want, but a G27 that retails for $520 can be had at $380 from one of these stores.

Tamara
November 13, 2004, 08:13 PM
Winchester doesn't like it when people refer to their SXT as Black Talon, because they're trying to burry the bull**** that was caused by the name BLACK TALON. :)

They'd more likely get confused, since the Talon and the commercial SXT ar two very different projectiles.

All Winchester Did was change the bullet from a teflon coated bullet r teflon coated copper jacket to a plain copper jacket and then they changed the casing from silver to brass. Then call it Ranger SXT instead of Black Talon.

The Black Talon was coated with a proprietary moly-type compound, not teflon. Both the old Talons and the new commercial SXT's use nickel-plated cases. The main differences are that the SXT's use eight-petal jackets instead of the six-petal ones of the Talon, and lack the sharp tips at the end of the jacket petals. Other than that, they're largely the same deep-sump JHP's with a reverse-taper jacket.

RA45T is a great cartridge, but your talkin .45. Anything that's a bullet is good enough. As long as it makes em bleed.

:rolleyes:

Again your talkin a pistol. It's not the greatest weapon for defense. If you want a weapon for self defense get your self a pump chump. Load that mother up with 4buck, double 00buck or SABOTs. Well maybe not SABOTs. The penetration is too high to be using on humans in close quaters. Just get yourself some standard rifles slugs.

Why would you use rifled slugs in a rifled-bore shotgun? Why would you use sabots in a smoothbore? Have you ever patterned a shotgun with slugs before? :confused:

Popcorn Coolie
November 13, 2004, 08:55 PM
Why not shoot rifles slugs out of a smooth bored barrel? If your going to be point blank or fifteen feet away it doesn't matter. In that situation you don't want the range you want the punch of the sabot or rifles slug.

Just get a slug bbl with the gun. Most shottys come with slug bbls, because you can fire buck through it with no problem.

WillBrayjr
November 13, 2004, 09:47 PM
I like the performence of the XTP rounds. I've never fired them out of a pistol but I have out of a muzzel loader and I like the way they open up. I think I'll have my gundealer order some in and see if he'll give me a free box. I'm not impressed with HydraShok or GoldDot though they are proven performers!

Popcorn Coolie
November 14, 2004, 12:13 AM
You never know how resillant someone is until you try to kill that person. Some people go down and die when hit with a a spitball .22LR and others will withstand a few 230 grain .45 hollowpoints before dying. You never know how much a male target can withstand. Some can and have taken some serious abuse before dying. Without drugs.

Personaly my favorite is .44 Magnum. Second .357 Magnum. Third .357 Sig.
.44 Magnum shoots better and does more damage. It's balanced perfectly between size, weight and velocity. It's also much easier to shoot than .45 Automatic in my opinion. I mean the Revolver cartridge. I don't know how well the Automatic .44 Magnum performs. I never fired a .44 Magnum ACP. Such as the Desert Eagle.

.45 Auto is great for takedown no matter what type it is. It gets stuck in the body because it's so big and then it's low velocity causes it to drag it's way through the body causing the victim to get jared and jerked around or thrown to the ground. But .44 Magnum will tear a huge chunk out of the individual. Shoot someone with a .45 auto in the arm and they'll get thrown 180 degress, but shoot someone in the arm with a .44 Magnum and that person will be lucky if their arm doesn't get torn off. The bone is just shattered.

Everyone nitpicks. If it puts a hole in person and makes that person bleed it's good. Use a hollow point unless you need as much penetration possible. Preferably a hollow point with a jacket that folds out into a fan blade upon impact. Shoot your target until it hits the ground. If body shots aren't effecting your target then blow his or her throat out.

Doesn't matter. It could be a 9mm of any grainage or jacket and it's still a perfect defensive pistol. Problem is people are trained to shoot for the body instead of shooting for an area that will incapacitate or kill. Such as the throat, head, heart and lungs. Most people don't die instantly when shot in the body. Not like TV makes it seem. So that's why you need to pop them somewhere that will distract or neutralize them until they Go into shock bleed out and die. Person can't function if they can't think or breath. That's why you you hit the heart,lungs head and or throat.

That's why the nine is nice. It's easy to shoot. Put your sights right on the throat and TAK TAK TAK.

Only takes one .357 Magnum and the throat will be gone. Most of it anyway.
That's why I don't understand why people go with .45 Auto for defense when .357 and .44 Magnum are much more powerful and waaaay easier to shoot with a better recovery. Must be over penetration issues. That's the only thing I can think of.

The Best stuff in .45 AUTO that I have seen aside from Rangers SXT is Winchester's Super X X45AHP or something like that. It's Winchester's second best to their Ranger ammunition. It's also a silvertip which is safer to shoot in close quaters.

Tamara
November 14, 2004, 06:50 AM
It's good to be enthusiastic about firearms when you're young. It's good to find more experienced folks who can help you learn about this fascinating hobby. It's bad if one alienates those folks by puffing up one's self and making claims that are painfully untrue to even the most casual observer, for then they start ignoring you, rather than helping you.

Personaly my favorite is .44 Magnum. Second .357 Magnum. Third .357 Sig.
.44 Magnum shoots better and does more damage. It's balanced perfectly between size, weight and velocity. It's also much easier to shoot than .45 Automatic in my opinion. I mean the Revolver cartridge. I don't know how well the Automatic .44 Magnum performs. I never fired a .44 Magnum ACP. Such as the Desert Eagle.

Have you really fired a .44 Magnum and a .45 ACP? I'm inclined to doubt it, since if you had, you would know that .44 Magnum is a hard-recoiling caliber that is much more difficult to control in rapid fire than the comparatively gentle .45 ACP. (Also, note that the Desert Eagle shoots the same .44 Magnum round as a .44 Mag revolver.)

The rest of your post... Jeez. Where to start? If you would like some actual advice on combat shooting from guys who have Been There and Done That, read through the board some; Erick Gelhaus, Jeff Gonzales, Pat Rogers, Firearms Academy (that's Marty Hayes), and several other recognizable names post here.

WillBrayjr
November 14, 2004, 09:57 AM
I think Popcorn Coolie needs to get out and shoot some guns chambered for the rounds he mentioned.

FALshootist
November 14, 2004, 10:22 AM
Federal 230 gr +P tactical.

Popcorn Coolie
November 14, 2004, 05:06 PM
Yes I have fired a .44 Magnum Revolver several times. Cylinder loaded with .44 Magnums. Shooting a target all the way down range. I hit the throat and the head with no problem. It was easy. Easy to group in a rapid fire drill.

I hit with a .45 and group, but I'm always off a little low and to the left. Instead of hitting the throat I hit the chest or the shoulder. And that's not all the way down range. That's about at ten feet.

.44 Magnum may be a little lower in caliber than .45, but you forget it's Magnum. It's MAGNUM! Departments won't allow .44 or .357 Magnum, because they do too much damage and can easily over penetrate. They consider them overkill.

Shoot a Jello mold with a .44 Magnum and then one with a .45 Auto. Make sure your using .44 Magnum and not .44 Smith. You'll see the huge difference. I've never shot a person with a .44 Mag, but other officers and investigators have shown me pictures and shown me how much damage .44 Magnum will do.

People hunt with .44 Magnum revolvers. That's how powerful the weapon actually is. I've shot Milk jugs and jello molds with a .44 Magnum and have watched huge junks just get blown out of the human simulated target. I've watched the milk jugs explode. Then I shot the jello with a .45 Auto and seen big holes in the mold. But no airborne chunks. Big holes in the milk jug along with being tipped over, but they didn't explode.

A hot load .44 Magnum will completly shatter a bone upon impact, because it travels at a high velocity. Ripping a limb off is an exacheration, because the muscles will keep it attached.

I Vaguely know an officer that was hit point blank with a .44 Magnum, His second chance Level II vest saved him, but the hit broke all of his ribs on the right side of his chest and the ribs that didn't break were cracked. Don't remember his name or department, but he is on the second chance save roster and in one of their older demonstration videos. I've met him here and there. Never payed much attention to him, because he's just a shooting statistic. I remember him, because of the weapon he was shot with and he's on second chance's roster.

In my opinion 9mm is easy to shoot, but that's me. I know people that suck with any gun.

I know people are trained to just hit the target instead of hitting a target were they will be mortaly wounded.

.45 ACP is the best bullet for certain situations. Like policing. Since it's a low velocity bullet and it's large so it will do considerable of damage without over penetrating. The fact that it's slow moving an doesn't cut through the flesh like a 9mm would gives it a lot of takedown power.

.44 and .357 Mag hit so hard and fast that they cause and implosion. That's why the target area explodes.

The size of the bullet doesn't make it better. A bullet's potential damage all depends on the balance between how heavy it is and how fast it travels. Hollow point helps increase the damage.

Peronsaly I feel WC452 is a stupid choice for defense, because it's designed for indoor plinking. It has a full metal jacket or it's a ball type bullet of some sort. Can't exactly remember. Full metal jacket is for max penetration. Such as shooting through glass, plastic or metal. Jacket hollow point if for max damage. So you want a JHP. Unless you plan on shooting through your windows. I don't think a .45 FMJ is guaranteed to go through glass anys. It travels so slow.

Danindetroit
November 14, 2004, 10:14 PM
Range .44's with 6" to 8' barrel with a rear notch and front blade are fun and accurate guns to shoot, and feel good in the hand. Most of these posters are talking about guns to use for concealed carry. They are not LE or are LE off the clock. They have to worry about weight, sharp edges,and generally snagging on clothing. They want a magazine for quick ammo changes, and more than 6 rounds in a mag usually. They are shooting at self defense yardages. They are worrying about shooting 1 to 15 rounds very rapidly very accurately in a stressful situation. They have to worry about a "non-gun" person seeing them and calling the police, and maybe embellishing the story. A DE in .44 mag is not ideal for this situation.

Auto glass is one of the most difficult barriers for a handgun to penetrate the makeup of the glass usually rips the jacket off a bullet, and quite often significantly alters the trajectory. Even rifle rounds could be affected by this. After reading some things I even wondered if after being hit with 1 round of whatever caliber, would the glass still retain these properties, and would a LE be better off shooting #4 buck at a window to completely blow it out before using a handgun, but most people can't carry a shotgun around concealed.

A smoothbore shotgun shoots foster type slugs with a relatively open choke, these slugs have ribs that catch the air flowing over them and impart a spin to stablize the bullet, and brenneke I think has the wad attached to the slug to give it drag to make sure the slug impacts correctly. A shotgun with rifling will tend to open up the pattern on shot, the standard 9 pellets 00 will probably not hit your target, unless you have the barrel pressed against your target. If it is an intruder I highly recommend stay back out of arms reach from them. I use a lot of wrong terms to desribe guns weapons, and every day life, my wife always has to ask what "thing" do you mean this time. I think acp stands for Automatic colt pistol. When I hear acp I think of a catridge designed by John Browning myself, but he worked for colt for Awhile? Now with moon clips an acp cartridge can be fired in a revolver, revolver bullets being long it is hard to put them in a traditional semi-auto config, w/ the mag being in the grip of the gun makes it unwieldy.

WillBrayjr
November 15, 2004, 07:32 PM
I think the Federal Premium expanding FMJ would be a great round. It's along the lines of Cor-bon powerball except it's not +p.

Danindetroit
November 15, 2004, 08:29 PM
I think they decided that for a small carry gun that on target, and a low flash would be better to get a round on target a couple of times or more, than one round and a flash that might ruin night-vision. I find that it is easier not to fight a gun, but to shoot at about the belly butto on a target, steady the weapon, shoot about at the diaphram, and then put one at about the top of the sternum, the indoor range closer to my house does not like rapid fire, but it is reasonably quick. I assume since this is a .45 thread wj you are shooting a .45, here is the data I have 165gr. 1090fps 430 lb-ft at muzzle 400 at 25 yd all out of a 5" barrel, that sounds pretty decent. The 230gr hyda shok is 850 fps with 370 lb-ft 5" barrel. It sound like It should make someone on the wrong end of it unhappy to say the least.

I was thinking of an iexpensive test to test rounds. Take a slabe of pork ribs, they go for about $1.19 a pound around here cut about a cunk 8 to twelve inches in length, put an inexpensive roast in back of the ribs, and then another slab of ribs. Us sharp wooden skewers like used for making shish kabobs to hold it together. It might simulate a shot to the chest of somebody and the rib bones would help better simulate a human upperbody. A tee shirt or old flannel shirt could be placed over the test subject, and a majic marker could be used to make some aim points or mark ribs so that a good hit on a bone is acheived. It might be a little expensive, but if somebody has a variety of calibers and guns I bet we could get a little fund together to find out what works best in the TFL PD bullet tests. This is just an idea that popped into my head, and probably can be improved upon. I am always skeptical of testing done by bullet manufacturers, who have something to gain by saying they have the new death ray bullet. These crackfiends up here usually hace a lot of clothing on up here so for regional use it might be worth a look.

led0321
February 20, 2013, 05:45 AM
Depends on how the gun is set up, and it's inherent predilections for fodder.

That is what I assumed....thanks

Sent using Tapatalk

vba
February 20, 2013, 09:46 AM
And 8.5 years later there still is no one answer;)

bikerbill
February 20, 2013, 02:20 PM
My nightstand gun is a Springfield 4-inch Loaded, packed with Hornady 185gr Critical Defense ... love the load, always feeds, great accuracy in my somewhat shaky hands ...

greyeyezz
February 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
And 8.5 years later there still is no one answer

There were no HST's back then

Gel block gave birth to a freaking tarantula:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWW2Y-IZpyE

Tactical Jackalope
February 20, 2013, 03:32 PM
Grizzly and Corbon DPX 1's, they're good at killing zombie threads!

michael t
February 21, 2013, 01:42 AM
I have Corbon DPX in my carry 1911's With ammo shortage I have been forced to buy Corbon 200gr and 185gr JHP plus P 230 ball for play any brand