PDA

View Full Version : So lost...What to do?

CX1
February 23, 2010, 10:42 PM
Greetings all!

I have been reading on here for a couple of years, just never had gotten around to signing up. Mainly, because I usually find the answer on here before I have to ask the question. However, I am now faced with a debate....and before I begin I dont want this to turn into a .45 vs. 10mm debate. Just opinions on quality, accuracy, and reliablity.

A couple of months back, I let a fellow Marine friend of mine crash on my couch for awhile, as he was between homes. As we finished moving his stuff out, he hands me a HK45 with less than 100 rounds through it as appreciation for the couch time. Love the pistol, it is a fine piece of art. Only downfalls, needs trigger work (as all HK45s), and I have to change my shooting stance to line the Front sight up ( a bit lower than rear in natural stance). Other than that it is great.

Now for the debate, That D@mn Colt Delta Elite is calling my name....I want that pistol really bad. Im sure we have all had our moments of just knowing upon seeing "THE" firearm. Now I know this is just from me seeing pictures of it, I havent held or felt it out, but I do really admire it.

So my question is, which is better? Anyone have experience with both? I am thinking about selling the HK to buy the DE...Opinions? I will be using this for CCW (I know its a big gun :)...I have already been carrying the HK) and for some competition (3gun).

Any advice will be helpful. I look forward hearing from everyone

Clay

imp
February 23, 2010, 10:49 PM
As much as I like H&K pistols, the D.E. will be easier to carry. And I like 10mm. If it were me, I think I would keep the HK and find another way to buy the delta elite:D

And welcome to TFL:D

allenomics
February 23, 2010, 10:53 PM
You've got a great friend. Keep the .45; it's easier to find ammo and it's less expensive.

Doc Intrepid
February 23, 2010, 11:05 PM
Keep the HK .45

Start a savings account for the Colt Delta Elite.

You've got good friends.

Semper Fi,

Doc

SundownRider
February 23, 2010, 11:13 PM
Always keep things given to you by friends. Save for the Delta, and honor your friend by becoming a great shot with the gun he gave you.

Maromero
February 23, 2010, 11:19 PM
Always keep things given to you by friends.
Nothing else to debate.

PointOneSeven
February 23, 2010, 11:33 PM
Cut smokes/beer/or any other habits and you'll have it paid for by this summer :cool:. Or you could do what I did and shave $200 a month off your grocery bill and eat rice for a month. Pretty much what I did and I had a new .45 in my collection in 3 months :D. Sometimes it comes down to priorities :p.

45Gunner
February 24, 2010, 12:23 AM
Keep the H & K. One other word of advice if I may; When I bought my first H & K, after shooting a couple of Colts, I thought the trigger needed work. I brought it to a gunsmith to work the trigger. His words were not to fool with it. Shoot the gun; work it and get the feel for the trigger. He was right. I now own 4 of those puppies and have the "feel". You do know that the trigger has a reset which does not require it to go full travel forward before making the next shot?

golfballshootr
February 24, 2010, 12:38 AM
I agree completely!

As for the debate, I have 10MM and 45 ACP and love the 10MM. If you really want the 10 mil, save first for the gun, then save for the ammo, then reload that brass!

BTW, I am new here too, for much the same reason, but finally had to sign up for an answer to my ??

Good luck and good shooting. :)

zippy13
February 24, 2010, 04:01 AM
Greetings CX1, and welcome aboard (finally) glad you're no longer in the land of the lurkers.
Keep the HK and honor the gift/friendship.

gun_king
February 24, 2010, 04:28 AM
Well do what you want. I am currently getting ready to buy a HK45, and I for one don't see all the fuss about them needing trigger work. Be grateful for such an awesome gift.

Doublestack
February 24, 2010, 09:29 AM
Howdy,
This is just more of the same, so get ready!

H&Ks are extremely well built reliable guns. I have a USP Compact in .40S&W that has never had a FTF or FTE with a multitude of various types of ammo. You will get used to the trigger system in no time. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten the same gun in .45. Easy to find, easy to reload, and much less expensive than 10mm.

Plus, your friend gave you this gun!

Almost forgot! Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service!

DS

flight954
February 24, 2010, 10:06 AM
Keep the HK45 and shoot the HK and in the mean time save up for the Colt DE. You may want to look at the Colt in 38Super

EdInk
February 24, 2010, 10:13 AM
It is nice that your buddy gave you the gun. Gratitude is something you sadly see less and less from people. If you like the H&K keep it and save for the Delta Elite. However, if you don't care for it all that much get rid of it
and put the money toward what you really want. You're friend won't care
and would want you to have whatever you like best.

My only concern is that the new gun is 10mm. IMHO the 10mm is one of the best rounds ever. Unfortunately, some LEO agencies felt it was too powerful so it was cut down into the .40 which became the defacto LE caliber. As a result the orignal 10mm
cartridge has become a niche round. It is not widely available or cheaply priced. Do not expect to have as wide of selection in factory SD or practice ammo like you do with the .45 cartridge. If you plan on shooting this gun alot the option of reloading your own is something to consider at least for your practice ammo and possibly competition ammo. I agree with many experts that
SD ammo is better from a factory than your garage.

Lastly, I would determine if you have actually been bitten by just the 10mm bug, 1911 bug, Colt bug or combination of them. Because unless
you have symptoms of all 3 you have alot more options.

Good Luck.

Ar15M4
February 24, 2010, 10:53 AM
I would stick to the .45 for a few reasons. And you can not beat the H&K...

Ballistics are virtually the same for the 2 loads. There are some advantages with some loads of both over the other, but overall (read average) they are virtually the same.

.45 is easier to find than the 10mm.

.45 is cheaper than the 10mm.

More guns are chambered in the .45 than the 10mm

More people use the .45 than the 10mm, this includes LE.

Reloading is still cheaper with the .45 than the 10mm.

If the SHTF someday, would you rather have 1000 rds of your 10mm and know that you will have to reload it (if you have the components) or 1000rds of the .45 knowing that you WILL be able to find more without having to have an arsenal of powder and primers and brass?

Brian Pfleuger
February 24, 2010, 11:13 AM
Reloading is still cheaper with the .45 than the 10mm.

How do you figure that?

10mm bullets are the same as 40S&W. Apples to apples, like Hornady XTPs, they are CHEAPER than 45acp. The 10mm uses virtually the same amount of powder as the 45 too.

Bought online, bulk ammo for the two is the same, or insignificantly different, price.... roughly $390/1000. Defensive ammo, Hornady XTPs again, are a price difference of $1/20.

Bottom line:

45acp is NOT (on average) cheaper than 10mm, whether reloads, bulk or defensive ammo.

NWPilgrim
February 24, 2010, 11:53 AM
Keep the HK. I always regret it when I sell a good gun to get a different good gun. Agree with the advice to save up for the Colt.

The 1911 frame is much slimmer than common DA/SA/DAO pistols like Glock, HK, SIG. Especially in the slide. So in general the 1911 is a better carry piece (for comfort).

But I can almost guarantee that you will regret selling the HK. And that isn't even accounting for the fact that it was from a good friend. With that background no way would I sell it for some passing fancy. :)

Buzzcook
February 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
Always keep things given to you by friends.

If that were true some of us would still have head lice.

Skans
February 24, 2010, 12:08 PM
They're both really good guns. I'd just get the one you want the most.....that's what I always do.

41mag10mm
February 24, 2010, 02:49 PM
If that were true some of us would still have head lice.

Or crabs:eek:

I do not own an HK but do own a Colt 10mm and it is my favorite. Several years ago I purchased a Beretta 9000s in 40S&W. I shot it during my CCW class and never had any trouble with it. Great little gun and very accurate. The problem was it just never really grew on me. It wasn't that I disliked it or that it had problems because it didn't. So I traded it at a gunshow for something I really wanted.

I guess it really boils down to how you feel about the HK and whether you're willing to give it up for something you really want. There are some downsides to owning a 10mm but they are not difficult to surmount. The 10mm is actually growing in popularity so the selection of factory ammo is increasing as the market demand increases.

CX1
February 25, 2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I myself have to agree with everyone, I would probably regret selling the HK since it was a gift. There I was on the ledge...just needed to be talked down :rolleyes: Yea it was crazy...I think my jaw literally hit the floor when he handed it to me!! I refused the first time, because that was just to much for so little on my part....but he twisted my arm....lol wasnt too hard of a twist though.

I will just have to save for the DE I suppose. How is the 10mm btw? pretty accurate? and the recoil? I know it all comes down to the shooter, but im just trying to familiarize with the round.

Sorry I gotta cut this short, but I have to go back to job searching now...:mad: as I am transitioning from the Corps in April. Gotta hurry and find one...or no money for ammo! :eek:

Thanks again for all of the info, Its nice to finally be apart of this gun club!!

Texpass
February 25, 2010, 09:53 PM
Keep the 45 for Self Defense and save your bucks for the 10mm for fun. On that note I would not use 10mm for SD, depending on where you live, might be considered way to much horsepower.

I have read a couple of legal articles about using the 10mm for SD...probably not a good idea,

41mag10mm
February 25, 2010, 10:28 PM
Hey CX1 - thanks for you service! My son is in the Corps now. He's still in school in WA. but will be coming to Cherry point in the summer.

The 10mm is a great round and you will never regret getting a Delta Elite. It's a good solid platform for the 10 which can be a handfull if loaded to it's full potential. Most of the factory ammo is downloaded a bit so you have to hunt for the really good stuff, or roll your own. That's what I do as well as most 10mm nuts I know.

Depending on where you are jobs can be pretty scarce. Have you considered stayin in? Just curious.

B.N.Real
February 25, 2010, 11:30 PM
What imp said.