PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 with Trijicon Night Sights

KChen986
February 22, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hey all,

Experiencing a weird phenomenon with my G19. I installed Trijicon Night sights on the gun before it left the shop, but when I took it to the range, I was throwing shots everywhere. I'm not too bad of a shot...on a good day I can shoot a quarter sized group at 25 yards (with a 1911 or USP). But with the G19, I was hitting the target stand at 25 yards.

Regardless, I took it to another range and shot it. It shot ~high and to the left. I then had someone push the sights a little bit to the right, which now seems to make the gun more zeroed, but it still shoots high sometimes (and occasionally a little too far right instead).

My question is this: Does anyone else have this setup on their G19? Is it the short sight radius? (I notice a significant amount of space between the rear and front sights in my sight picture) Am I just a **** poor shot? Is the striker-fired trigger messing with me?

How should I rectify it?

Best group at 30'

http://xb7.xanga.com/41df42f066330262415616/b209148830.jpg

Typical Groups at 30'

http://x80.xanga.com/cfdf7ae0c3032264208877/m210654522.jpg

evan1293
February 22, 2010, 06:00 PM
If your newer to glocks you may not have the trigger figured out quite right yet. I'd say 95% of shooting errors are caused by improper trigger control. Take some time and practice a bit more with the glock trigger...get on target, take up the slack, and increase the pressure on the trigger (like your pressing a syringe). The trigger break should come at a surprise moment. Don't forget to follow through..track your front sight and watch it come up, out of the rear notch and then settle back down.

I've owned dozens of glocks with the same set up you have. Everytime I've ever put sights on a glock, I've centered them up in the notches and they always shot POA.

KChen986
February 22, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evan,

Do you have a Compact sized Glock with the trijicons? The reason I ask is because I do use the trigger control methods (slowly increase pressure, follow through on the sight picture, ride the reset, acquire sight picture, controlled squeeze again).

With almost every other pistol I own (including a different striker fired PPS), I'm able to shoot POA very accurately.

Thanks in advance.

goodspeed(TPF)
February 23, 2010, 09:08 AM
I have all the Glock models that you can legally purchase here in WI right now and they ALL have Trijicons on them. To quote you directly: Am I just a **** poor shot? this is most likely the cause. Usually it is not a hardware malfunction. I have had no problems with any of the GLock models and Trijicon sights. If the weapon is in proper working order and the sights were installed correctly I think you hit the nail on the head. I mean no offense by this. Sincerely.

Have you tried having someone else fire your weapon? This may help you eliminate some possibilities. Good luck. -Goodspeed:)

Skans
February 23, 2010, 11:29 AM
I have trijicon sights on my Glock 17. It's not the sights. I can vouch for the fact that Glocks are difficult guns to shoot accurately. I've never gotten used to the trigger either, and it's been about 20 years now.

My Glock 17 always fires, and I shoot good enough with it. That's all I really need from it.

KChen986
February 23, 2010, 01:41 PM
Goodspeed, I had a friend who can shoot a quarter sized group at 75' with his G34 shoot my G19. He also ended up smacking the target stands with my G19 (about 12" off).

My guess is the stock 5lb trigger plus the short sight radius makes it harder to shoot accurately. Something to work on I guess.

Thanks for the input!

AK103K
February 23, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have 17's, 26's, and a 31, all with factory night sights, and they all shoot well, and if anything, the 26's shoot better than the 17's and 31 if your shooting for "groups".

I did have an initial issue of all my Glocks shooting to the left when I got them, but a minor rear sight adjustment has corrected it with all of them, and I'm assuming its probably me and not the guns. Still, it a little odd, as I dont have the issue with any of my other pistols.

Is the gun shooting to a specific point different than the point of aim, or is it just randomly spraying rounds around the target?

KChen986
February 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
When I first shot the gun, it was very consistently shooting high left. I shifted the rear sights to the right a bit, and the groups started going more towards POA, but were still high and not as precise.

Regardless, I suppose it's more software than anything. I'll put another 2-300 rounds downrange and see if I can't come to trust the gun.

I know this sounds stupid, but with my 1911 (first carry piece), I knew if I slowed down to ensure my fundamentals, I could shoot bulls eye no problem. With the Glock, I'm not getting similar results.--I mean don't get me wrong, I'm getting 2"-3" groups at 30'--well within combat accuracy, but I wouldn't trust myself to be able to say, hit someone at 75' if ever necessary or say, shoot around someone taken hostage (not that I would w/ my 1911 either, just saying....).

I guess in conclusion, it's a matter of me working more on my trigger control. Thanks for all the input guys.

TRguy
February 23, 2010, 02:33 PM
That is Minute of Dead accuracy.

Do you need more accuracy out of a production non race gun Glock with a mid frame and 4" barrel?

AK103K
February 23, 2010, 02:50 PM
It sounds like we have a similar problem with them shooting left. I just dont have the vertical issue too.

I think TRguy is right, they are more than capable enough of having good practical accuracy, they just arent bullseye type target guns, nor are they trying to be.

Most of my practice is from 10-15 yards and in, and I have no troubles making good hits where I'm looking when the gun goes off. I got over the "shooting groups" thing awhile ago, and I consider good "hits" to be more relevant. I dont shoot targets with bullseyes or aiming points, and mostly shoot more realistic targets with an image on them these days. Even at 25 yards, and with these sometimes less than cooperative old eyes, 99% of my rounds are still good COM hits on the targets. I even do pretty good with the head shots with some deliberation.

Personally, I'd prefer a slightly narrower front blade or wider rear notch, but the Glock night sights arent all that bad. For me, they just take a tad more deliberation at longer distances.

Keep at it, I think things will calm down for you as you settle in.

goodspeed(TPF)
February 25, 2010, 09:40 AM
Could it be possible that you need a different height rear (or front) sight?

AK103K

Is the gun shooting to a specific point different than the point of aim, or is it just randomly spraying rounds around the target?

I am curious about this too. Are you having an elevation problem or a precision problem? -Goodspeed

KChen986
February 25, 2010, 12:14 PM
That's why I made this post, I was curious to see if other people were throwing shots high with a G19 and GL01 Trijicon Night sights. When I hold my breath, do a smooth pull, and maintain perfect sight picture the gun *seems* to shoot high. To be fair, it may be a matter of my trigger squeeze.

Polomax
February 27, 2010, 07:41 PM
How many of you Glock owner shoot them with the factory installed sights ???? I`ve seen alot of shooting from Glock guy`s that love the factory sights and wouldn`t even think of wasteing time or money installing adjustable sights... I`ve always been a fan of adjustable sights myself but after purchaseing my 1st Glock I can see what these guy`s are saying. I`ve been shooting the model 17 now for about 3 months and it shoots awesome with factory installed sights ( But understand I shoot ALOT ). You have to get the feel of the Glock and practice is key.!!! the more you shoot the more accurate you`ll become. I was all over the place my 1st time out and it drove me crazy. after several weekends of trigger time it got easier and more accurate to shoot... if you don`t shoot the weapon much at all NO AMOUNT of accessories you add will improve it`s accuracy,... it`s you that needs the practice :) Glocks are naturally Accurate right out of the box and will out shoot you PERIOD. infact this is the case with any gun IMO.... The only problem is NOW I can`t hit a thing with my Springfield 1911 LOL !!!

AK103K
February 27, 2010, 08:03 PM
How many of you Glock owner shoot them with the factory installed sights ????
All but one of my Glocks has factory installed night sights. I shoot on average about 300 rounds or so a week out of one or two of them. Its not that Glocks are inaccurate, its just for me, they dont seem to shoot where I'm looking when they come out of the box.

I have a feeling, the issue is probably me, and now that I have the rear sight moved to adjust, all seems to be fine.

shepherddogs
February 27, 2010, 10:02 PM
My experience is that when you get used to a good 1911 trigger, it makes shooting a Glock accurately seem impossible. It's a lot harder to shoot well with a Glock. Also, I think that most good 1911s are inherently more accurate than most Glocks. So it's a matter of having to work a little harder to shoot groups that are a little larger than with a 1911. Glocks just aren't target pistols. They are combat accurate. And the shorter sight radius compounds the problem. I know some people will say Glocks are extremely accurate but that has not been my experience. And I've had plenty. I like Glocks but any of my 1911s will easily outshoot any Glock I've ever owned. Oh, if you shoot from a rest and your Glock consistently shoots high or low, you can call Trijicon and they will send you a different heighth sight. At least they did for my Model 20. Or you could just change your POI by changing bullet weights. Good luck.:)

Polomax
February 28, 2010, 09:07 AM
Hickok45 on youtube SURE makes shooting ALL the Glock variants look easy doesn`t he !!!!! I went out several weeks ago and had a range pretty close to what he is shooting at, I only hit the steel maybe 4 out of 10 shots at 40 to 45 yards where he is hitting 35, 50, 75, and beyond ranges that most will never master lol..... He uses Factory installed sights so this must boil down to knowing each and every gun so well that your mind knows exactly were each one shoots or he is just plain OL` GIFTED in the target shooting area !!! :D

lets just say I wouldn`t wanna be running around his property at the 200 yard range because ya wouldn`t be runnin for very long hahahaha... HOLY CRAP what a shot

Blue Steel
February 28, 2010, 10:54 AM
Shoot the gun off benchrest, taking time to make sure you're stabilized, using proper sight alignment, and trigger press (or find someone with a Ransom Rest).

If the gun still shoots high you may have the wrong height front sight for your gun, and need to replace it with a taller one.