PDA

View Full Version : Trading m1 for 1911... but which one?

tackdriver
February 20, 2010, 09:03 AM
An investment-grade 1929-made Colt 1908 Vest Pocket that I've been wanting for, oh, about five years ran under my nose and I traded my Taurus PT1911 for it without blinking. Great deal, but now I am 1911-less for the first time in many moons.

I had been fixing up a CMP Inland M1 carbine, but kinda lost interest in it. It's likely to go out as trade bait soon to get a 1911 back in the stable. Carbines have shot up in value over the last year, so I think it's time to give it to someone who will be a better steward than I am.

At the top of my list is one of the Colt WWI reproductions. I have a serious Sgt. York fetish and have wanted one since they came out. The original nonA1 pistols are becoming too precious to shoot, so that's out of the question. I would absolutely slap some crimson trace grips on it and carry it every now and again just because. I'd also go for a Colt in a pre-war-esque configuration, even if it wasn't an actual pre-war. I think TALO sold some they marketed as a Vietnam-era pistol that had older-style rollmarks, widespur hammer, etc.

After that, I'd like to get something more practical in officer or CCO configuration, chambered in 9mm (for absolutely no other reason than ammo availability). I have looked at STI, but when it comes down to it, their rollmarks are hideous and a big turnoff for me. And no matter how badly I've slandered Kimber over the years, that darn Aegis may just get me to gamble. Then there's the Springfield EMP. Can't swap parts in those, though, can you?

And then, I've thought about a .38 super or something govt' sized just for target shooting in 9 mm, etc.

What do you all like in the 9mm CCW 1911 category (para is out, btw)? Thoughts on the rest?