PDA

View Full Version : Hi Point or Sigma?

Cornhusker77
February 18, 2010, 06:55 PM
Ok, since we are comparing guns and the Glock vs. Sigma thing has run it's course, I thought I'd bring the price down a little.
Would you rather spend $150 +/- on a Hi Point C9 or $350 +/- on a Sigma SW9VE?

varoadking
February 18, 2010, 07:02 PM
I own an Allied Forces model SW9VE and paid $254.00 for it after rebate.

I personally wouldn't own a Hi-Point if you gave me the $150.00 along with it.

chris in va
February 18, 2010, 07:11 PM
Considering my 9mm carbine just broke for the third time today, I'd say S&W.

Microgunner
February 18, 2010, 07:15 PM
I voted but this is just a joke, right?

goodspeed(TPF)
February 18, 2010, 07:16 PM
The Sigma doode. The Sigma. :cool:

Edit: Sigmas are $249.99 after rebate right now.

Did I mention Sigma?

w_houle
February 18, 2010, 07:19 PM
Edit: Sigmas are $249.99 after rebate right now.
Must be some rebate: Local shops are hanging a $450 price tag on them:eek:

ProjectCamaro
February 18, 2010, 07:20 PM
Must be some rebate: Local shops are hanging a $450 price tag on them
Wow, you're local shops are priced WAY to high.

lawman1990
February 18, 2010, 07:27 PM
LOL, wow, this hi-point thing just won't go away.:D

Kreyzhorse
February 18, 2010, 07:36 PM
Wow, I expect Hi-Point to make a comeback real soon in this poll........ ;)

Just a suggestion, but maybe the next poll will be:

A Hi Point C9

vs.

A pointy stick

roaddog28
February 18, 2010, 08:07 PM
I voted for the Sigma because I have a SW40VE. I also have a Hi Point C9 too. I have never had a problem with the Hi Point and I bought the gun used. I like my Sigma better because of looks, and the way the gun handles but to say the Hi Point compares to the Sigma just does not make any sense. The Hi Point is a inexpensive way to shoot and 9 mm is cheap and available. The Sigma is a at least two notches above the Hi Point. I think a comparision between the Sigma and Kel Tec would be better.

But thats my take,
roaddog28

w_houle
February 18, 2010, 08:08 PM
Nah, the better thread would be...
Hi Point: What causes greater injury, shooting it or throwing it?

hoytinak
February 18, 2010, 08:25 PM
I vote neither and I've owned both at one time. Now that I know better, I won't own either again.

Cornhusker77
February 18, 2010, 08:34 PM
This is just kind of a fun thread.
Two guns that seem to get beat up more than any other around here.:D

Leejack
February 18, 2010, 08:53 PM
The sigma hands down!

It's high time to put the internet BS to bed!

Lee

IdahoG36
February 18, 2010, 09:01 PM
The Sigma is a lot more gun for the money than the Hi Point.

garddogg56
February 18, 2010, 09:03 PM
Seriously I have fired almost all of these and the groups on the hipoint c-9 was as good or better than most.I'm going to give American manufactuers a chance.It's not like giving toyota another CHANCE.I love my family too much!!!

Ar15M4
February 18, 2010, 10:35 PM
Well I would go about it like this.

I have had a Hipoint, and have shot the sigma so I am not talking out the side of my face.

If you go with a C9 you will be out the $150 and you won't have to do anything to it but maybe polish the feed ramp and fix a magazine problem, both of which you can do your self for little cost.

If you go with the sigma you will be out $250, then another $150 to have a smith do a trigger job on it. Then you can polish it up and you will have an ok gun.

The choice is yours. But my money is on the Hipoint.

Onward Allusion
February 18, 2010, 10:36 PM
It's more like $200 for the Hi Point and $250 for the Sigma... I'd go for the Sigma hands down.

Cornhusker77
Hi Point or Sigma?

garddogg56
February 19, 2010, 11:16 PM
135.00 in Maine aya!C-9

EdInk
February 20, 2010, 12:08 AM
If you really think the HiPoint C-9 is on the same class
as the S&W Sigma, you are insane. Real world gunstore prices for them are
about $195 for the Hi-Point and $249 (after $50 rebate) for the Sigma.
I think my life is worth an extra $50 bucks. Even has a range toy it's worth the extra money.

And for the record, S&W will fix the crap trigger for absolutely no charge.

garddogg56
February 20, 2010, 12:22 PM
Ed; Just my thoughts the c-9 I have shoots as good as my others:)cheaper than my 1911 more accurat than my glock.and I only payed 135.00 for it,sorry.

christcorp
February 20, 2010, 01:35 PM
Sorry, but $195-$200 is NOT real world gun prices for a Hi-Point. That might be "Your" world prices. But that's not the price of the vast majority of the country. "Real World" prices are $149 for a 380; $159 for a 9mm and $169 for a 40sw or 45acp. And the vast majority of the time, you can negotiate, like with ANY gun shop, and get it out the door for that price. Sorry for those who live in "price gouging" places.

As for which gun I would choose, I really can't make a selection. I'm not that familiar with the Sigma. I know what it is and I know who makes it, but I've never really done any research on it. And believe it or not, some people DESPISE REBATES WITH A PASSION. I have on many occasions left one store and bought at another because the first store's UP FRONT cost was more, and I didn't want to deal with their rebate system. I'd rather pay less up front without the rebate. I almost always shop OfficeMax instead of Office Depot because Max doesn't do rebates. They reflect it in their price. Anyway; for some people, the $50 in the form of a rebate is significant. For me, it's a PITA. So, I'd view this choice as $159 for a C-9 vs $299 for a Sigma. Well, considering that I can get A LOT OF GUNS in the $299 range; (I have nothing against used guns); I'd probably not buy the Sigma at all, based on a lot of negative posts by owners. But again, I can be conclusive in the choice because I've never fired a sigma.

But something I think is important is that when hypothetical polls/questions like this one is brought up, it's assumed that people for whatever reason can only have 1 gun, and they have to make a choice. That's what makes these polls/questions silly and irrelevant. People don't have an "Either/Or" choice. You've put in a price range of basically $150-$300. And there are a lot of guns that you can buy in that price range. So the question is pretty extreme. And I'm sure that's what it's meant for. "There's only 2 guns available on the planet; you are only allowed to own 1 of them; you have $300 to work with; do you buy the sigma for $300 or the hi-point for $150"? Well, if the poll/question was that precise, and there were no other variables WHATSOEVER!!!! Then the choice would be easy. Spend $150 on the hi-point, and use the other $150 to buy 750 rounds of 9mm ammunition. "DUH!!!!" That's a no brainer.

On the other hand; if I was only allowed to have one gun; I had up to $300 to spend; and it wasn't limited to the hi-point and the sigma, then there are so many more choices out there.

Then there's the point that the money "Could" be significant to some people. For me; there hasn't been a gun out there yet that I couldn't afford. Doesn't mean I'd buy it, just that financially, I can buy pretty much anything I want. And even a $10,000 gun wouldn't financially affect me. However; I know what it was/is like to be extremely poor. I know what it's like for my mom not to eat dinner on many nights, so I and my sister could eat. And I know what it was like when I first got married when it got close to payday and I would bum rides to/from work because I knew that there was no way I'd have enough gas for the car to make it to the end of the week. And I know that the difference between $150 and $300 can be quite significant to some people. So for that person, the Hi-Point is a very logical and proper choice. "Assuming the gun is for protection and defense, and not for fun". If it's for fun, then if they are that poor, they should be using their money for other things instead of a gun and ammunition. Like paying of debt; giving their kids/wife/husband a little luxury in their lives; saving for something that you NEED instead of something you WANT. But for defensive purposes, and money truly is that tight, there is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing the hi-point. It is very reliable and dependable. Basic, ugly, heavy, bulky, etc... but it will go bang.

So anyway; that's why it's so difficult to answer such a question/poll. You'd have to take every single respondent and make all their scenarios exactly the same; I.e. everyone makes $70,000 a year, married, no kids, live in town of 150,000 people, no major bills other than mortgage and car, etc... Then give them the choice. But shy of that, it's difficult to answer. And I know the premise is to be very simple. "Is a $150 Hi-Point a better bargain than a $250-$300 Sigma"? I know that is the premise. But it really isn't that simple.

mlk18
February 20, 2010, 03:30 PM
In my location the SW9VE's run as low as $275 NIB with 10 round mags or $300 with full capacity mags. While the Hi-Points run around $175.

Regardless if they were more only options, I would spend the $300 for the SW9VE and pass on the rebate (opting for the 2 full cap mags instead).

Maybe a better comparison would have been the 9mm Hi-Point to the Bulgarian Makarov. Around here they are more comparably priced.

angel71rs
February 20, 2010, 05:02 PM
I voted Sigma due to 16 rd mags (in most states), & better ergonomics.

And no need to have a smith do the trigger on the Sigma. Do it yourself for free, just some time investment. It is cake, think most can easily do it too. I liked mine b4 I did the trigger improvement, like it more after.

christcorp
February 20, 2010, 05:17 PM
mlk; not sure if using a Makarov is a better comparison. Certain east block military weapons; e.g. makarov, cz-82, pa-63, tokarev, p64, cz-52, ak-47, 74, and others fall into a category totally on their own. These are classics. These are the epitome of quality (in their time). Even today, these weapons are usually indestructible and built as tanks. These weapons are the overseas versions of discussing colt and springfield armory 1911A1, S&W model 10/13/19, M1 garand, carbine, M16/AR15, etc...

Sorry, I really respect the Hi-Point pistols. I think their company is fantastic and they make a good firearm for it's purpose. But even I won't put the hi-point into a comparison with military/le guns of the world. Especially classics like the makarov.

For it's purpose, and because of the cost, there are plenty of reasons to buy a hi-point over another modern day pistol. Even if the $150 price difference seems insignificant to you. For some people, that is significant. And considering the reliability and dependability of a hi-point, there's a lot of reasons to buy one. The Makarov, CZ-82, PA-63, and many of the other listed and forgotten pistols can be found inexpensively, NOT because they are cheap. God Forbid. A CZ-82 is probably better quality and machining than any modern glock. But obviously the 9mm makarov caliber isn't that popular in the united states, and especially with many who think you have to have a 40sw or you can't defend yourself. The reason they are inexpensive guns are because their countries have economics that are much more different than ours, and there were a LOT of these pistols. Even today, a brand new Saiga 7.62x39 or .223/5.56; made in the SAME FACTORY, with the SAME PARTS, as the military AK-47 that are being produced today; in the original Russian Factory; can be bought here for $320-$350. Not because they are cheap, but because the economics is different. They don't have union pushing $30-$50 a hour jobs.

Yet, Americans are fixated on price. If it costs MORE, it MUST be better. People will spend $500-$600 for an AK-47 clone in a gun shop; which is made out of used, QC rejected, etc... parts to get around import restrictions. Yet, some will say that the Saiga, is inferior because it's only $350. However, it is imported as a "Sporter Rifle" with a 10 round magazine, non-pistol grip stock, etc... However; for about $100, you can put on a swap out on the aesthetic parts and trigger, and have it capable of shooting 30 round magazines, and be 100% AK-47 compatible (To what people are accustomed to). And it will be made of brand new, higher quality parts, from the same Russian plant making current production military ak-47's. But yet there are people that will dispute this. Such ignorance. And the same will continue with the hi-point and many other weapons.

I think it's cool to theorize the hi-point vs any modern pistol. For certain uses, I would never buy a hi-point. For some other uses, I would most definitely buy a hi-point. But I would never compare a hi-point to the quality of most military surplus weapons. Especially because of the price. I'd take a CZ-82 or a Makarov (brand), over many modern models of pistols, to include S&W, Glock, Springfield, Taurus, and many others. Totally apples and oranges.

Onward Allusion
February 20, 2010, 06:55 PM
Hi-Point, CZ-82/83, Sigma, PA63, Saiga are all reliable low(er) cost firearms. I've seen plenty of Hi-Points at the range NOT jam and go through one magazine after another. If $200 is all one can afford, the Hi-Points, CZ82s, & PA63s would be my top recommendations...and yes - Hi-Points around here (Northern/Central IN & Northeast IL area) are close to $200 with some big-box stores over $200.

christcorp
<SNIP>For it's purpose, and because of the cost, there are plenty of reasons to buy a hi-point over another modern day pistol. Even if the $150 price difference seems insignificant to you. For some people, that is significant. And considering the reliability and dependability of a hi-point, there's a lot of reasons to buy one. The Makarov, CZ-82, PA-63, and many of the other listed and forgotten pistols can be found inexpensively, NOT because they are cheap. God Forbid. A CZ-82 is probably better quality and machining than any modern glock. But obviously the 9mm makarov caliber isn't that popular in the united states, and especially with many who think you have to have a 40sw or you can't defend yourself. The reason they are inexpensive guns are because their countries have economics that are much more different than ours, and there were a LOT of these pistols. Even today, a brand new Saiga 7.62x39 or .223/5.56; made in the SAME FACTORY, with the SAME PARTS, as the military AK-47 that are being produced today; in the original Russian Factory; can be bought here for $320-$350. Not because they are cheap, but because the economics is different. They don't have union pushing $30-$50 a hour jobs.

Yet, Americans are fixated on price.<SNIP>

mlk18
February 20, 2010, 07:11 PM
mlk; not sure if using a Makarov is a better comparison.

I was strictly comparing price point. But I hear what you're saying. The Makarov is a true classic.

Cheapshooter
February 20, 2010, 07:12 PM
Is it April 1? Sigma!

BigAl1958
February 20, 2010, 07:32 PM
I voted the Sigma but I'll keep Ruger P95 at better price than the Sigma. I have a friend who has a Hi-point for his wife and I've shot it a few times. I have never had a problem but wouldn't put my life (or that of a loved one) on the line with that little plinker. I have one of the Hi-Point 995TS carbines and it's fun, never had a problem but again If I'm pulling out a defensive carbine I'm grabbing my Mini-14 Ranch. Cheap guns can be fun but not when the SHTF.

James K
February 20, 2010, 07:36 PM
I have often defended the Hi Point against those who have never fired (or even seen) one but declare them junk. Still, to compare one with a Sigma (which I do not especially like) is not really fair.

If you have only $150 to spend, and a Hi Point costs $150, you can buy a reliable and usable gun. But if you have $250 and the Sigma costs $250, buy it.

Jim

HDTVSELLER
February 20, 2010, 08:29 PM
I almost couldn't belive that's a question but hey i voted for s&w.