PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Mauser 8mm to .308

Nero45
February 18, 2010, 03:09 AM
I guess I'm just full of questions tonight but other than changing the barrel what else would have to happen to get a model M24/47 Yugoslavian Mauser converted to .308? I guessing that the frame would be strong enough seeing that the .308 is a 30-06 cut down and the 30-06 and 8mm are close but how about the bolt? the only other thing that might cause problems is the Mag but that's the least of my problems. Thank you.

Scorch
February 18, 2010, 12:12 PM
Converting any M98-design action to 308 is fairly straightforward. Actually, the magazine might turn out to be the biggest problem due to the shoulder diameter of the 308 cartridge, which can cause hangups in the magazine.

Huffmanite
February 18, 2010, 01:18 PM
deleted post

Huffmanite
February 18, 2010, 01:29 PM
Just compared the magazine rails in my Israeli 98 mauser in 7.62X51 (308) with another 98 mauser that is still 8mm. At first glance, thought the magazine rails on the Israeli had been opened up, but when I measured the openings of the rails on both rifles, turned out they measured the same. Israeli uses standard 98 mauser follower and I've never had a feed problem with 7.62/308 cal ammo that I can remember.

HankC1
February 18, 2010, 08:20 PM
I just built a Large Ring Mauser with 308 barrel. No mod on magazine and fit perfectly. I think Yugo mausers have a extractor notch on the barrel face that may add some challenge to rebarrel a new barrel. Don't know for sure.

Nero45
February 19, 2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the help. Its a project I would like to do sometime but I'm not going to tear up my good M-48 to do it but wouldn't mind a used M24/47 that needs a new barrel anyway.

HankC1
February 19, 2010, 07:37 PM
Mausers can be very challenging to remove the barrel since it has an internal shoulder. I bought a receiver already drilled and tapped and just barrel a new 308 barrel on the receiver and use the rest of the parts from the old mauser rifle. This way, I basically still have 2 rifles and can always switch between the 2 calibers.

Cheapshooter
February 20, 2010, 06:41 PM
If you have to ask what needs to be done, you most likely would not have the gun smithing experience to do the job. You don't just remove the barrel and screw a new one on. Years back it was very popular to build "sporter" rifles out of military surplus rifles that were every where for cheap prices. Excellent like new 98 Mausers, and Springfield '03s and 1917 Enfielad were turned into sporterized rifles. Also just the actions were re-barreled into civilian chamberings. With the cost of the rifles now plus the new barrels, stocks, and gunsmith work, it is cheaper to go buy a new modern firearm.
With so much 8m/m surplus ammo still available at reasonable prices just order up some and enjoy the rifle for what it is. If you want to hunt with it there are loadings with soft point ammo on the market.

radom
February 21, 2010, 06:59 AM
Its a pain in the rear and the 8mm is a better round anyways so why bother. [I]If I was going to make a change on a gun like that I would just run it out to 8mm-06 and have a mini 338 mag.

ForneyRider
February 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
My younger brother has a VZ24 with Douglas barrel in 308. It can handle stout loads with no issues.

My older brother has a sporterized M98 in 8x57. It can handle stout CIP(Euro) loads. They are equivalent to 30-06. SAMMI is American and they made their specifications to older models of 8x57, which is equivalent to 30-30 or slightly better.

I load the 8x57 with 125gr, 150gr, 200gr bullets and they are very accurate and stout medicine with Varget. H4895 is another excellent 8x57 powder.

Nosler data has 200gr Partition running 2700fps.

James K
March 1, 2010, 03:08 PM
It has always been more expensive to make a military rifle into the equivalent of a new sporter than to just buy the sporter. The difference usually was that the military rifle was very cheap (or was obtained at the cost of a few years of one's life and some bad moments) and the sporterizing job was the minimum - saw off the stock. But to have a good gunsmith take an M48, change caliber and turn it into the equivalent of a Remington Model 700 will cost about as much as a new 700, and a lot more than a used one.

One note of caution on the Yugo M48 and M24/47. They are not standard Mauser 98s like the VZ24 and K.98k. The barrel in the Yugo rifles has an extractor cut and fitting a new barrel is trickier than the regular 98. Also, some accessories, like scope mounts, made for the standard 98 won't fit.

Jim

TX Hunter
March 2, 2010, 06:51 AM
If I wanted to re-barrel a Mauser into 308 I would find a good Gunsmith and get it done. I dont think you will have any trouble with 308 feeding from the magazine, they should pick right up. In a way it makes sense to convert one to this cartridge, as the 7.62x51 nato is alot easier to find than the 8mm.
Good luck with your project.

ammo.crafter
March 2, 2010, 07:02 AM
I converted an M98 about 30 years ago with a new barrel in 6m/m Remington that shoots with deadly accuracy at 200yds.
Little smithing was needed and the conversion was quite easy.

sc928porsche
March 2, 2010, 11:53 AM
If your 8mm bbl is good, Just open up the chamber to 8mm-06 or 8mm-06 AI.
Get a set of dies, some 06 brass, and youre in business.

apr1775
March 11, 2010, 03:53 PM
I'd ask what are you trying to acheive? If you just want a 308 to shoot or hunt with, you'd be better off buying something modern. If you want to build a high quality sporter made of forged steel and wood, it's a great way to go. Paying someone to do it will be very expensive. Doing it yourself... there's a lot to learn and some tooling cost, so even though it will still be somewhat expensive, it will be very rewarding in the end.

5whiskey
March 11, 2010, 04:21 PM
If you have to ask what needs to be done, you most likely would not have the gun smithing experience to do the job.

I understand your point, and I'm not trying to be-little you at all, but I do disagree with this statement. I've rebarreled actions and set headspace before, but I have no clue how to do it on an AK. Could I try, and turn the AK into a paperweight? Yeah, that's a possibility. Could I work it out and be succesful? Probably with alot of trial and error. Would I try to fire it and be a danger to myself unless I was at peace with the process? No. A lot of people learn hands on, and sometimes that takes a few failures before you reach success. Now there are some common sense things (don't slap something together with basically no knowledge and then try to fire it with your face behind it), but if everyone had the attitude that "You don't fully understand what you're doing so there's no need to try"; well we wouldn't have had many of the wonderful things JMB gave us. He really didn't know 100% that a gas operated action would work when he first tried it. He suspected it, but didn't KNOW for sure. The worst thing that could be done from taking on this project (if done so and test fired safely) is a ruined rifle, IMHO.

Then again, I'm thinking that you are looking at this in terms of safety AND ruining the rifle. Safety can be accomplished either way, but ruining the rifle is a possibility that can't be ignored if you start something that you're not entirely sure you can finish. At worst, you can get a gunsmith to clean up your mess.

earlthegoat2
March 11, 2010, 04:22 PM
If you are in the mood for a project rifle that wont cost you as much as the one you are suggesting try this one out.

From our good friends over at 303 British dot com.

http://www.303british.com/id62.html

http://www.303british.com/id65.html

http://www.303british.com/id64.html

To summarize they take a cheap Stevens 200 and tweak it a little bit to make a great shooting rifle on the cheap.

You could take a 308 Stevens and do the mods they do and have a better shooting rifle with less money spent and still get to do a little tinkering.

5whiskey
March 11, 2010, 04:24 PM
In the end...

^^^^^what earlthegoat said applies

TX Hunter
March 11, 2010, 07:47 PM
That wouldnt be a bad project, The Stephens Rifle is basicly a Savage.
And The Savage 110 Is a good acurate dependable rifle.

firewrench044
March 12, 2010, 11:13 PM
Brownells sells a Wilson military contour 308 barrel that is short
chambered for large ring Mauser (it is a hi quality barrel )
special tools are required to remove and instal barrel, finish the chamber,
correctly instaling the sights
it is cheaper to have a gunsmith do the work rather than you
purchasing all the tools
the large ring Mauser ( 98's, Chechs, yugos and others ) have an action
stong enough for the 308 and no other modifications of the receiver
are required

I have converted several and prefer the military cotour rather than a
sporter contour ( thiner and less weight but can change point of impact when they heat up and no iron sights ) or a bull barrel ( can only use the scope, no iron sights and much heavier )

firewrench044
March 12, 2010, 11:24 PM
Brownells sells a Wilson military contour 308 barrel that is short
chambered for large ring Mauser (it is a hi quality barrel )
special tools are required to remove and instal barrel, finish the chamber,
correctly instaling the sights
it is cheaper to have a gunsmith do the work rather than you
purchasing all the tools
the large ring Mauser ( 98's, Chechs, yugos and others ) have an action
stong enough for the 308 and no other modifications of the receiver
are required

I have converted several and prefer the military cotour rather than a
sporter contour ( thiner and less weight but can change point of impact when they heat up and no iron sights ) or a bull barrel ( can only use the scope, no iron sights and much heavier )