PDA

View Full Version : First Time gun buyer...

Jackal
February 15, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hello all, I'm about to make my first purchase real soon. I am torn between getting the new SR9c ($390 delivered) and the P95 ($285 delivered) I have read many reviews for both and know one is a full sized and one has just been released. With that in mind which would be the best for a new gun owner. I plan on getting my CCW but I will probably just keep it in my car and home and maybe occationally carry. Please help me figure this out.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
February 15, 2010, 01:37 PM
Get the P95----too many issues with the SR9's

Jackal
February 15, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thx for the response. What other issues did the SR9 have besides the trigger and remember I am considering the SR9c...

gotigers
February 15, 2010, 01:43 PM
I would go to my local range and rent both and shoot both. The P series rugers (i have a p89) are very reliable, but have long triggers. They are a bit big to carry.

pacerdude
February 15, 2010, 04:33 PM
I would go with the larger P95, since it will primarily serve as a home defense/range gun. The longer barrel will provide better accuracy, and since it is a bit heavy for a 9mm, the recoil wont be an issue at all.

Also the P95 is a rugged, solid and most importantly a reliable pistol. Have fun, good luck and Welcome to TFL!

Jackal
February 15, 2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks I am so anxious to get a gun already:o If anyone has any good thoughts on one please speak up. I will only buy American.(I want my 1st to be American made) and $400 is tops.

GunsAreGood
February 15, 2010, 09:18 PM
I recently bought a Ruger SR-9 and I am not impressed with it. The trigger pull is heavy and i have had a slight problem with it at the range. I know your considering the SR-9c and I believe the trigger is supposed to be better on it but I am not sure if it really is. I have not shot the p95 so cant help you there. Keep doing research and asking questions.

GunsAreGood
February 15, 2010, 09:20 PM
Oh yea CONGRATULATIONS on your first purchase.

FreakGasolineFight
February 15, 2010, 09:25 PM
I will only buy American.

Why? All the best guns are non-American.

And P.S, congrats on joining the ranks. *high-five*

vikingextreme93
February 15, 2010, 09:43 PM
I actually own a SR9 and have about 1200 rounds through it with not a single problem. A lot of people complain about the trigger but for the average joe I think the trigger is just fine its usually people who are more into higher end pistols that complain about it. Some people have peening issues with the barrel and I would bet there are FAR more pistols out thee without that problem than with. I would buy an SR9 with confidence but on the flip side I would also buy a P95 with confidence. If the P95 fits you well buy it and likewise with the SR9c but the P95 is not as easy to conceal...choose what suits your need and ruger will back it up.

vytoland
February 15, 2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks I am so anxious to get a gun already If anyone has any good thoughts on one please speak up. I will only buy American.(I want my 1st to be American made) and $400 is tops

check out J&G sales...............

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith-wesson/revolver/cPath/16_211_431

dayid
February 15, 2010, 11:08 PM
Having fired both, I prefer the P95, so does my wife.

With the SR9 we shot, the magazine drop was problematic for both of us. Her moreso (not sure if her smaller hands hampered this or not) than I, but both of us. The P95 magazine release caused trouble with neither of us. With the SR9 she had it drop-out every so many rounds, and I had it drop out once as well. -The only exception I can give here is that the SR9 was a range-rental and may be more-worn on the magazine catch. However, if it is worn to where it was dropping out easily from range-use, that still just means it's only a matter of time before that happens to a casual user.

The SR9 is thinner, and it does hold more rounds.

The safety on the P95 is easier to manipulate for both of us (and is ambidextrous). The slide-release on the P95 is "bulkier" but this also meant it was easier to manipulate for both of us.

We both preferred the P95 trigger, although the DA is heavy/long for my wife. (Well, it's heavy and long to me also, but I am better at handling it).

For the extra $100+, I would not buy an SR9, especially not vs a P95.

Mosin44az
February 15, 2010, 11:48 PM
My first pistol was a P95 and it was superb, extremely reliable through several thousand rounds. I had the decocker version, not sure they still offer that but I prefer it because it makes practicing double action shots easier.

The key is whether you can easily reach the trigger face with your finger--I have smaller hands and it was difficult with the 95. The SR9 should be a smaller reach and thus easier, if this is an issue for you.

The SR9c should be easier to carry.

The SR9c is a new gun for Ruger and may have issues, but the company definitely takes care of its customers and fixes problems, if any. But if I were you, I would want my first gun to be a known quantity of proven reliability. You don't want to have to ship your one gun back for fixing. If it fits you, get the P95.

johnwilliamson062
February 16, 2010, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't buy wither as a first gun unless you intend not to shoot much.
If you intend to start shooting a lot I highly recommend a 22 to start.
Unless you are a multi-millionaire, and i guess it is unfair for me to assume you are not, the ammo savings learning/improving your shootings with a 22 will pay for a number of very nice handguns. You will save $.20/round over 9mm.
Ruger MK IIs are great guns.
Not sure there are any other 22 autoloading pistols that are truly American made.

dayid
February 16, 2010, 12:39 AM
@Mosin44az: The de-cocker is not available anymore from Ruger. However, the current version's safety does also act as a decocker, decocking the weapon as you switch to safe. Many P95 owners use it purely for decocking.

Jackal
February 16, 2010, 03:25 AM
Thx for all the responses guys. Leaning towards the P5. Bud's has it for 300 shipped. Checked GB but it was more expensive when you consider shipping cost. Any other good places to buy?

Lattitudes
February 16, 2010, 06:29 AM
Perhaps I am out of line here(frequently am) but your gun choice seems to be guided by price. I would humbly submit to you that you should perhaps take your time, save if you need and purchase the gun you absolutely want and will serve you a lifetime. My opinion only of course. ;)

Jackal
February 16, 2010, 12:17 PM
^ Well its my first gun and I rather learn on something that if I mess it up won't drive me crazy. Besides its only my first step I'm sure I will have plenty of different pistols:)

badazwelder
February 16, 2010, 03:33 PM
Havent had any experience with the SR9 but i own 2 P-95s, 1 stainless and the other blued. You cant beat the P-95 for the cost, its a great gun,comes with 2-15 rd mags, also i just bought another 32 rd mag from midway USA, made by promag, it eats all 32 rounds and wants more.They are a great gun, im a Ruger fan and always have been though. Also remember the fact that Ruger has great customer service and an awesome warranty behind all the firearms they make.Also The Mark II and Mark III .22 LR pistols are nice, i saw someone else had mentioned that. The rising cost of ammo has had me and my buddies turning more toward our .22s, I own the 22/45 mark III, its a great handgun,extremely accurate. Its your buy though, Good Luck...