PDA

View Full Version : My new pistol dryer

Delmar
February 14, 2010, 05:24 PM
I wanted to put my 58 in the food dehydrator to dry, but it didn't fit. So I found a big bowl the right size to replace the lid and put a hole in it to run the barrel out of. Some of the hot air will come directly out the hole and some should come up through the barrel.

Doc Hoy
February 15, 2010, 06:40 AM
Del,

Good idea.

When I saw the last photo, it made me think someone (like Yosemite Sam) was inside... protecting the dryer (from Bugs Bunny).

okiefarmer
February 16, 2010, 02:12 AM
Dang, I gave mine away. I had one 'zactly like that. Got it for $1 at a garage sale. Took like 3 days or more to make jerky though, so I gave it away to some other tortuous soul. It does not have a forced air fan, only a heating element, and mine didn't get very hot either. Me thinks that's why I got it for $1. he he

The BOSS hasn't complained about the oven method yet.

Delmar
February 16, 2010, 04:38 AM
mine doesn't have a fan either but it works pretty good. There are vents in the bottom and top and the fact that heat rises keeps the air moving pretty good. I also use it to make sure my powder components are dry.

bedbugbilly
February 16, 2010, 05:29 PM
Delmar - that's quite the contraption to dry your Remington - very impressive! I just have one question though . . . . after you dehydrate that Remy, ain't it a little hard to chew on? :D I agree with Doc . . . it does look like Yosimite Sam is hiding in there! Bugs . . . you'd better watch out! Thanks for posting the photos - it looks like it would work really slick! It just goes to show that good 'ole American ingenuity is still very much alive! When there is a problem . . . there's always a solution! Thanks for sharing! :)

As a side question - I see you take your grips off which would dry out. I'm just curious as to how often you completely take your Remy apart - or do you ever? What do you use after you dry it out to lube it up on the internal parts? I know . . . I know . . . everyone has their own way of doing it. But, I just got a Remy .36 last summer and haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet. I'm just curious as to what works for you on the cleaning of the inside parts. I'm thinking that during the summer (when I'll shoot it the most) that if I pull the grips and soak it in hot water (with cylinder removed and removing the nipples from the cylinder to thoroughly clean each time) and then drying out good like you are doing and then relubing the inside parts, that taking it completely apart for a thorough cleaning at the end of the shooting season will suffice. (I shoot only Goex in my revolvers and longarms)Any comments or suggestions? Many thanks again! Sincerely, bedbug :)

Thanks again!

Delmar
February 16, 2010, 06:49 PM
bedbugbilly
I just got the pistol last Thursday and I never fired it before Saturday and I am learning as I go along. The fact is I am hoping someone more knowledgeable than I answers your questions. They are good questions, I think.

ClemBert
February 16, 2010, 06:52 PM
I don't make jerky outta my BP but I do like to bake them. After a nice hot water bath I do a quick dry of the components then put them in the oven at 175 degrees for 20 minutes then let them cool down in the oven for another 20 minutes.

Doc Hoy
February 16, 2010, 07:11 PM
I do what Clem does. (Bake em in the oven) but I gotta tell ya, I like your idea. Blasted shame the whole pistol doesn't fit although you are probably right about the drying of the barrel as the heated air passes out through the hole.

I am guessing a Colt, broken down, would fit inside completely.

bedbugbilly
February 16, 2010, 09:53 PM
You know . . . . I got to thinking as I was doing some salmon on the grill tonight . . . .. some bake 'em . .. some dehydrate 'em . . . . maybe I'll try grilling! That's the ticket! A nice warm grill . . . . some barbicue sauce . . .. mmmmmm . .. a barbicued Remy . . . better 'n ribs! :D Maybe one of Doc's "brews" that he uses when he cleans his pistols would go good with that? :D Sorry . . . . sometimes my imagination gets the best of me . . .

So . . O.K. . . . . . you bake or dehydrate them and dry them out. Do you just spray the insides with WD 40 or something similar . . . oil them down and let it go at that? How often do you do a "major" clean up . . . i.e. . . . take them down completely . . . . or is it sufficient to just keep cleaning the whole assemblY (with cylinder removed, etc.) in hot, soapy water, dry them (bake, dehydrate, etc.) and then spray/oil them down and put the grips back on? I am thinking that if they are well scrubbed, dryed out completely and then sprayed/oiled that there shouldn't be a problem with rust on the internal parts. yes or no? Thanks!

As a side note - on my rifles, I clean and flush the barrels with hot soapy water, dry them completely and use WD40 on the bores. I wait several days, patch the bore good and then use oil on a patch. I usually take the lock off and clean it thoroughly - depending on how dirty it is, I may disassemble it. I store my rifles standing up so every so often, I run an oily patch down the bore as gravity does do its trick. I've never had a problem with rust. A revolver is a little different as there seems to be so many "nooks and crannies" that fouling can get in to and build up in that it seems like unless you really scrub it in all the right places, rust could be a problem.