PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 284 savage options

rupert
February 7, 2010, 11:09 PM
Hello i found a deal on a new savage 12BVSS in 6.5 284 for around 600 bucks. For a grand i can get a 12 f class target series. Which way should i go? I would like the longer barrel and lighter trigger on the target gun but 400 bucks is quite a bit too. Would be used or punching paper and long range p dogs. I didnt even know the 12BVSS came on 6.5 284, anyone have any idea on the twist rate on it? The target is 1 in 8. thanks

ForneyRider
February 8, 2010, 02:27 PM
get a new one, 6.5-284 is a barrel burner.

bigautomatic
February 8, 2010, 04:57 PM
It was likely a special order (BVSS) in that configuration, as the F class and bench rest models are the only ones available in 6.5 284 (per the website anyway) . Both are 8 twist. Pretty expensive cartridge to vaporize prairie dogs with, but is a top performer at long range. The trigger on the target action is quite nice too. I have the Fclass model in 6br, and the trigger breaks at a gnats eyelash under 6 oz. Don't know if any of this helped or not, but there it is.

P.S.- Don't go cheap on the glass!

taylorce1
February 8, 2010, 09:11 PM
It was likely a special order (BVSS) in that configuration, as the F class and bench rest models are the only ones available in 6.5 284 (per the website anyway) .

Savage actually offers three models in 6.5X284. M111 Long Range Hunter, M12 F-Class, and M12 Bench Rest, all rifles come with a 1:8 twist.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

The link will take you to Savage's gun finder. Search by caliber and you will come up with all the offerings and click on the cartridge of choice.

bigautomatic
February 8, 2010, 09:56 PM
I stand corrected. Thanks!

the_right_reverend
February 9, 2010, 05:01 AM
that's a hard choice I have the M12 F Class (1 in 12) and it is a serious tack driver with 110 Vmax , the only drawback it is extremely nose heavy.

My self if i had that choice i would go with the 12BVSS and put the saved $$ toward some REALLY nice glass and maybe later on a trick after market trigger later on

Don't forget to put the 12 f class on your Christmas wish list.

Savage does crank out some rifles not listed on their site I picked up a new Savage 112VLP 25-06 a few months ago