PDA

View Full Version : Walking the slide

riggins_83
February 3, 2010, 12:34 PM
With my daily carry gun (Glock 36) I can pretty easily walk the slide forward all the way into battery without an issue. I couldn't do the same with a 1911 using an internal extractor so I never rechambered the same SD round more than 3 times.

Now that I can walk that slide and it will go completely into battery... I can rechamber that same round many times.

Plenty of threads talk about this issue... I've found the simple cure. Carry a gun with an external extractor (my Smith 1911 with an external extractor will walk into battery too).

Anybody else walking the slide versus slingshotting or hitting the slide lock on their carry gun with reliable results?

NavyLT
February 3, 2010, 12:44 PM
While it is very much not recommended, I do it on my Taurus PT-145. I load using this procedure:

1. Drop a round in the chamber.
2. Ride the slide with enough force for the extractor to engage the rim of the round.
3. Pull the slide back enough to observe for proper extraction of the round from the chamber.
4. Press the slide forward again.
5. Observe the back of the gun that the rear of the slide is flush with frame.
6. Load a fully loaded magazine into the gun.

Again, it is very much not recommended to load this way, and during instruction of new shooters I will not instruct others to load this way, but it works for me and involves several second checks to ensure the gun is loaded properly.

Locoweed
February 3, 2010, 02:04 PM
Slingshot or hitting the slide release works for me. I can't imagine chambering a round any other way. Riding the slide down onto the cartridge seems unreliable.

michael t
February 3, 2010, 02:42 PM
Slingshot or hitting the slide release works for me. I can't imagine chambering a round any other way. Riding the slide down onto the cartridge seems unreliable.

I don't know of any one that recommends walking or riding the slide Not the way to load a auto You load from mag slingshot or slide lock.
Why do you need to re chamber rounds ? Unless cleaning or shooting should stay loaded anyway . Then no worry about bullet set back I have owned 1911 since the 60's and never ride a slide or load other than from a mag.

evan1293
February 3, 2010, 02:48 PM
The best way to insure that the gun will fire when you need it is to pull the slide back all the way and let it go, stripping off the top round of the magazine. If you're worried about altering the COL of the chambered round, then why not just leave the gun chambered? If you carrying it, you want it chambered, and if your not using it, put it in a safe chambered. All my defensive guns are always loaded and I treat them as such. Just a recommendation.

riggins_83
February 3, 2010, 07:32 PM
I leave it chambered at home and when carrying (I never carry w/o one in the chamber). Only time it gets unloaded is when it's due for a cleaning.

45Gunner
February 3, 2010, 07:39 PM
I have read countless books and Owner/Operator Manuals on the 1911 and other semi-autos. No where have I seen in print to walk/ride the slide to battery. As a matter of fact, those that address this specifically state to release the slide with the slide stop pin and let the slide go to battery by itself.

The particular gun is designed for this and walking/riding the slide is an ill-conceived idea of trying to save the gun from battering. However, with that being said, it is your gun and you are free to do as exactly as you please.