PDA

View Full Version : Quality .40 H&K or ?

DBAR
February 1, 2010, 12:31 PM
I posted a thread a while back about quality handguns, and now I've narrowed it down.

I know all about "buy what feels the best", but I'm running out of options, and there only so many handguns that I can handle. The gun shops around here don't stock everything.

I'm really thinking about the H&K P2000, or USP compact in .40. These two guns are of the quality, and size that I'm looking for. However, they are pretty expensive. I'd like to find a good used one, and I'm leaning toward the DA/SA variants. I found the P2000 that I want, but it's expensive.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm kind of holding off on another Sig. I'm still considering the P229, but they aren't cheap either.

Thanks,
DBAR

Uncle Malice
February 1, 2010, 01:18 PM
I've had the USP Compact in .40. it's a really nice gun. I think I prefer the P229 over it by a narrow margin but I love both of them.

You could always go with the Glock 23... a little cheaper. With a little bit of add-ons it turns into an excellent gun. The things I add to mine are: G22 smooth trigger, Ghosts Ultimate 3.5lb connector, G34 style extended magazine release(lightly sand the edges to smooth the sharp edges off), and Tru-Glo TFO sights.

Another good option for a compact size .40 would be the M&P 40c.

Personally, I'm pretty excited for the new FNX pistols by FN. The FNP is a great pistol but I didn't like the way it looks. The FNP-45 is also great, and the new FNX models in 9 and 40 are based on that design.

Unfortunately I haven't found anyone with them in stock or a place that is currently taking orders.

DBAR
February 1, 2010, 02:53 PM
Uncle,

I had a FNP9, and I thought it was a great gun. I called FN USA this morning concerning the new FNX in .40, and the guy I spoke with was nice. The only problem, is that the safety is still a de-cocker, and since I shoot 1911's, and other SA pistols, I don't like the de-cocker position. I found myself once walking through my house in the middle of the night with my FNP9, and I discovered that I had the de-cocker depressed like I would my 1911. It wouldn't have gone off if I would of had to of pulled the trigger. The M&P has some appeal, and is still a consideration.

DBAR

Uncle Malice
February 1, 2010, 02:59 PM
Ahh.. good deal.

I think that is why I am lookign at the FNP/FNX pistols. I prefer the DA/SA with decocker and no safety. I don't care for a safety.... which is why I like Sigs, as you know.

I know the M&P can be ordered with the manual thumb safety, so that might be a good option for you as well. Save you a little cash over the H&K... and much better customer service.

BigJimP
February 1, 2010, 03:04 PM
The only "compact" .40 I own is a Sig 239 / and it makes a good backup carry gun in .40 S&W.

I'm primarily a 1911 guy / and you can get 1911's made in .40S&W ....but they aren't really budget friendly ( Wilson, etc ) - but I do like a 1911 in .40S&W as well if you happen to find a good used one / but I don't see many around.

I do like the Sig double stacks / nothing wrong with the 229 / although I prefer the 226 ( but they're a little too wide to carry comfortably for me / so they become range guns for me - not carry guns. But Sig isn't giving any of those away either ... But there are quite a few Certified Pre Owned Sigs showing up around here / law enforcement turn ins --- reconditioned / come with a warranty. I've seen some good ones / some not so good - so you need to know what you're looking at ...and check them out carefully.

Unfortunately, the way prices are lately - there just isn't that much to be found out there in high quality /at a lower price.... prices seem to be holding on the high end...

comn-cents
February 1, 2010, 03:05 PM
I have a USP 40c and love it. I compared it to my sig p239 and they are pretty close in size in every way, I would have never expected that. The USP holds more and seems a bit lighter. I carried the USP in a fanny pack with 4 extra mags for about 8 years. If I had to go out late at night, I grabbed that and always felt well protected. Be careful because the USP safety/decoker will stop you from firing also if you ride it like your 1911.

hoytinak
February 1, 2010, 03:11 PM
My work gun is a P2000 .40 LEM trigger and I really like it. I've actually been carrying it concealed quite a bit this winter also. I've owned/shot quite a bit of .40's trying to find one I liked and the P2000 & USPc were really the only ones I liked. Most other .40's were too snappy for me but the HK's handled it great. I like the LEM trigger better than the DA/SA though. I even swapped out the DA/SA trigger on my USPc 9mm to LEM.

DBAR
February 1, 2010, 03:14 PM
I shoot left handed, and most H&Ks have the lever on the left side so it won't even bother me, but thanks for the heads up.

comn-cents
February 1, 2010, 03:18 PM
Here are the picks comparing grip thickness of the USP-239-Kahr CW9

DBAR
February 1, 2010, 03:27 PM
I think I'm running out of guns to choose from.

I'm probably going to either buy the H&K, or the Sig. Sometimes it sucks being so picky about quality. Sig Pro series is coming to mind....H&K USP compact, P2000, Sig P239, Sig P229, wow....

Thanks for the pictures comn-cents.

DBAR

NWCP
February 1, 2010, 03:29 PM
You like the HKs, but are worried over the cost? Why not save a few shekels more and get what you want? You'll be more apt to shoot it well and if carrying the $150 bucks extra you pay over a Glock, or some of the other flavors becomes meaningless. A carry piece is not the right time to go KMart on yourself. Buy what fits you and fills your needs in a handgun.

comn-cents
February 1, 2010, 03:35 PM
After shooting my USPc for the first time I did take a fine-file to knock down some of the ruff corners on the grip-checkering.

MEATSAW
February 1, 2010, 08:25 PM
The P2000 will serve you well. Mine has been flawless and I couldn't be more pleased with it. More expensive than a Glock or M&P but it was cheaper than a SIG229 and felt better in my hands to boot.

cwb
February 2, 2010, 12:37 AM
i love my hk uspc .40 its the best gun i have ever owned

45Gunner
February 2, 2010, 12:57 AM
Got to throw in my 2 pesos in the direction of the USP Compact .40, specifically the LEM. I had three H & K's prior to being issued the .40 LEM as a duty weapon. Agency rule, no duty gun for personal use. I liked the gun so much I bought one (factory offered special deals so I didn't have to pay the full ticket.)
It is my favorite plastic gun and I usually take it with me when the 1911 is not practical.

The H & K .40 LEM is the king of reliability for any type of condition...more so than the Glock...in my opinion.

Boats
February 2, 2010, 01:47 AM
Not going H&K equals going "K-Mart?" :rolleyes:

Perhaps if he were settling for a High Point.

If the OP is truly picky about quality, current Exeter SIGs don't exactly belong in the conversation anymore.

I had a HK USP45c once upon a time. The exact thing I disliked about it the most was going from supposedly cocked and locked, to uncocked and inert.

The frame mounted SAFE--OFF--DECOCK switch for a supposedly C&L capable weapon has to rank right up there with the dumbest pistol ideas ever. Why bother with a frame mounted safety for C&L possibilities at all if mashing it off results in a long and gritty double action pull on the first shot anyways?

And folks wonder how the 1911A1 has hung on all these years? It was better thought out a century ago than are the great majority of pistols out there that allegedly make it obsolete.

Get an HK if that floats your boat, but make sure it decocks on the back of the weapon like the P2000 does.

Uncle Malice
February 2, 2010, 08:17 AM
If the OP is truly picky about quality, current Exeter SIGs don't exactly belong in the conversation anymore.

I'm so sick of seeing people spout this nonsense. Clearly, you don't own any current production SIG's and your spewing the same crap you've read on the Internet.

If you think 'current production' SIGs don't belong in a conversation that involves HK and S&W M&P pistols, you've got some learning to do.

hoytinak
February 2, 2010, 08:30 AM
your spewing the same crap you've read on the Internet.

Kinda like this comment of yours?

... and much better customer service.

Check out what the guys on HKpro (that have actually used HK's CS) have to say about it. In my experience it's one of the best out there....what's your personal experience with them?

Uncle Malice
February 2, 2010, 08:45 AM
what's your personal experience with them?

I called to ask about several items when I first got my USP Compact. I asked about potentially having the slide refinished, new night sights, general inspection and replacement of any worn parts as it was a 10 year-old gun.

The rep told me that I could send it in for night sights for $160+$65 installation, I pay shipping both ways(I don't care about paying shipping there.... but the really won't even return it?). He said they will not do any slide refinishing(which is fine, albeit kind of lame, if they don't) and he would not suggest anyone to look at for a refinishing.

Also, because I was not the original owner, they didn't even want to look at it. I could send it in for $65/hr for inspection, minimum of 2 hours, not including any parts replacement. So basically, I could pay $130 to have them look at it and say "it's fine, here, take it back." I can understand having to pay for work, but some of the prices just seemed a little outrageous. The guy on the phone also sounded rather irritated that I was 'bothering' him.

So yes, there's my 'personal' experience with them.

I agree that HK's are great guns - as are SIGs. I loved mine. I will only buy a new HK though. If you're not the original owner, they basically tell you to kick rocks.

comn-cents
February 2, 2010, 08:57 AM
Uncle Malice "I'm so sick of seeing people spout this nonsense. Clearly, you don't own any current production SIG's and your spewing the same crap you've read on the Internet".

I'm with ya on that one. I only have 7 Sigs, half of which are of the new "bad" variety. Never had a bad experience. I had 6 others that I had to get rid of due to lack of funds. So that was about 9 of those bad Sigs all without a hitch. They allllllll worked just fine & I actually use them. They all had a minimum of 1000 rds each.

As for bad double action & bad safety design in the HK, I would disagree about that too. Never had a problem with their decocker seems to work just fine. The three HK's I have, have better double action than any other da/sa guns I ever used.

hoytinak
February 2, 2010, 09:05 AM
Well, at least you had some personal experience with them...I apologize for snapping....I'm just fed up myself with people spewing off they read too. ;)

I've used their customer service 3 times (ordering parts all 3) and I had great experiences all 3 times.

Uncle Malice
February 2, 2010, 09:56 AM
No worries. From all accounts, I think that if you are the original owner, they treat you quite well.

That's exactly the reason why my next HK will be bought new! ;)

Boats
February 2, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm so sick of seeing people spout this nonsense. Clearly, you don't own any current production SIG's and your spewing the same crap you've read on the Internet.

If you think 'current production' SIGs don't belong in a conversation that involves HK and S&W M&P pistols, you've got some learning to do.

As the former owner of two West German produced SIGs. a 226 and a 220, the current ones fall short in fit and finish compared to their forebears. The most amusing thing is that people are essentially paying the same prices as when the pistols were built using exclusively German parts and labor.

Folks who don't think SIG has fallen off the pace they used to set have limited or no experience with the real deals from the old school.

DBAR
February 2, 2010, 11:23 AM
A carry piece is not the right time to go KMart on yourself. Buy what fits you and fills your needs in a handgun.

NWCP,

I don't go to KMart for anything, and this isn't going to be a carry gun.

Thanks for your input....

browntailguy
February 2, 2010, 11:33 AM
My duty weapon is an H&K USP Compact in .40 S&W. I don't like it. Maybe because I had my Sig 239 first and got used to having the decocking lever on it which makes me feel good about carrying it around. Or maybe because I shoot the Sig so much better than the HK. Not a fan of the trigger or the action.

I must be one of those biased Sig guys. Just my .02 cents

lambertsteeth
February 2, 2010, 12:37 PM
If you really want the hk, just get the hk. So what if you have to wait an extra couple of months. It's a very high quality gun. IMHO, people who buy high quality stuff almost never regret their purchase. Buying once and crying about the price once beats buying the same product twice and crying twice because the first purchase sucked. I actually prefer the 229, but you are not me.