PDA

View Full Version : casting in the winter outside...

rbf420
January 30, 2010, 12:03 PM
now i know why this form is dead... smart people cast thier own bullets and smart people dont melt in winter... only desperate people who didnt stock pile before winter are the ones melting. :'(

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
January 30, 2010, 12:18 PM
I cast in my basement, where it is nice and toasty! :D

Rusty W
January 30, 2010, 07:48 PM
I cast about 300 bullets today out in the shop. We got 6" of snow last night and I got houseatosis. Well that and I just rec'd a new to me mold and I had to see what it would do.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
January 30, 2010, 08:06 PM
Lookin' Good Rusty!

salvadore
January 30, 2010, 10:21 PM
I cast and load all winter, try to shoot everything up the rest of the year.

snuffy
January 31, 2010, 02:22 PM
smart people cast their own bullets and smart people don't melt in winter... only desperate people who didn't stock pile before winter are the ones melting.

Now that's a sweeping statement!

What does the time of year or season have to do with "melting"? For me, it's all about my comfort. If it's 90 degrees with high humidity, I don't want to be making bullets. I'd much rather be at an IDPA match SHOOTING bullets I made when the heat from the pot helped warm the loading room.

okiefarmer
February 2, 2010, 09:30 PM
Mebee smart people don't melt in water, but some of us drop our hot projos in snow. I do it to some when I feel like it. Got the idea for quenching in snow, because it doesn't splash back, just go out and reload the bucket everyonce in a while. I really don't know if I am accomplishing much, as I also feel the working of the sides in the sizer likely removes any surface hardening that might have taken place. 'Twas a good idea at first, but have since discontinued it.

I heat my garage in the dead of winter. Besides being a wussy sitting there freezing my toes off, it's also hard to keep the top of the pot good and hot when the ambient temp is that cold. Just warm enough that I don't sweat, and thusly, don't drop my beer, ha.

We also have our BIG melt in the winter out at the farm shed. We accumulate about 3-400# of WW, get the big propane burner out, set it under a 16" steel pipe cap with legs (holds 200# after skimming clips) and it still gets toasty right around the pot. Holy cow, would that job be a hot one in the summer. We run 4 ingot moulds, and still dip them in water after pouring in the lead to keep them from overheating. Got a big ladle and it goes fast. We have an airhose to dry off the mould each time before repouring.

Better than sex, I tell ya :D:D:eek:

gschwertley
February 13, 2010, 01:59 AM
I like to cast outdoors because of the good ventilation. I mostly cast in better weather because when the outside temperature gets below a certain point, it's more difficult for me to keep the temperature of the melt and the mold(s) regulated.

budman46
May 22, 2010, 10:04 AM
i use a lawn chair, recycled gas grill for a casting station and various towels, cardboard boxes, etc. to cast bullets under our covered deck with good ventilation and protection from the elements. i usually cast mar-nov, but winter would work if i were desperate; certainly there's little chance of one sweating and the bullets set up faster in the cold! :)

Jumping Frog
May 30, 2010, 08:22 AM
I do most of my smelting, casting, and reloading in the winter. I don't mind the cold, and I'd rather be smelting in the cold than sweating to death over #100 of molten lead in 90 degree heat.

Plus, I am busy with either honey-do crap or shooting in nice weather. I've got enough rounds stockpiled right now to see me through to the cooler fall weather days.

Steel185
June 1, 2010, 03:21 PM
Rusty:
those look great! What mix of lead do you use? Mine rarely come out that shiny without being wavy. Mostly on the frosty side, its probibly more of a user issue than anything else. I'm new to casting, having trouble getting my temps just right.

budman46
June 14, 2010, 08:54 AM
steel185,

frosty isn't bad, if you want shiny, just wipe 'em off.

budman