PDA

View Full Version : S&W, Model 41 Question ??

Pahoo
January 29, 2010, 03:02 PM
A friend of mine wants to do some trading and he has a Smith & Wesson Model 41, that has a 5" barrel; not the usual 5-1/2" or 7". This barrel has no front or rear sight. Just a Weaver style base at the breech end and no means of installing a front sight. He said that this is the way it came from the factory. Now,, personally I do not have a big problem with this as I can always mount a target scope or RedDot on it. Have done an internet search and have not been able to find this particualr barrel. Would add that this barrel has not been cut to this 5" length.

Have any of you owners of 41's familiar with this setup? Any and all information would be appreciated. :confused:

Be Safe !!!

GONIF
January 29, 2010, 05:24 PM
I have a 41 I bought new in 1978. I have 2 barrels one is 5 inch the other is about 7 inch . I have an aim point mounted on the 7 inch . These are one of the best .22 target pistols ever made . The trigger is fantastic right out of the box. I like it better than my High Standard , that is also a very fine shooter . The new 41's are very pricey. If you can pick it up for the right price and it is in good condition grab it .:D

Old Grump
January 29, 2010, 05:24 PM
My first gun had a 5" barrel and had sights on it, never ever saw one without them so it sounds like this might have been a special order. You might want to write a letter to S&W and ask them about it.

Microgunner
January 29, 2010, 05:26 PM
Sounds like an after market replacement barrel. There are lots out there.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/22pts.htm#sw

TOMBECK
January 29, 2010, 08:30 PM
There is a later S&W bbl built for scope/RD only. This is probably one of these. Would require an inspection to assure this. There is a "BULLY BBL" aftermarket SS bbl series on the market and has proven to be reliable and accurate.

lev83
January 29, 2010, 08:55 PM
Never personally seen a 41 set up like you are describing but as previously noted a call to S&W should confirm if this exists or not.

Pahoo
January 29, 2010, 09:23 PM
UPDATE:
Went and picked up the 41 and box. This barrel is original to the pistol. The end of the box reads 5", SCOPE BBL, so guessing that it was made for scope only. It's really a neat little barrel and guess I would not mind it. ... :confused:

TOMBECK,
You may be right ... :)

Be Safe !!!