PDA

View Full Version : Kahr cw9 vs. Glock 26 vs. Taurus 709

richiep
January 28, 2010, 12:35 AM
Hey everyone this is my first post. I am in the market for a new CCW gun. I am having a hard time choosing between the three.

Taurus:
I like the price and the feel of the gun but am concerned about quality issues.

Glock:
I am concerend about the guns thickness even though it is only 1.18" wide and I like the higher magazine capacity.

Kahr:
I have never shot a khar but I like the looks of them. Questions I have about the Khar would be trigger pull.

Any input about the guns above or new gun suggestions would be appreciated. I am also pretty dead set on a 9mm. Thanks

AR15Madness
January 28, 2010, 12:15 PM
Kahr is a nice gun and is the smallest/easiest to carry. The only thing I didn't like about it was the trigger. It has too much play.

Gary L. Griffiths
January 28, 2010, 01:02 PM
The Kahr generally has a buttery smooth trigger pull, but I'm not all that fond of them. The Glock is just too thick, unless you're going to holster carry in an IWB. The Taurus was well reviewed in the January American Rifleman, but yes, they have a spotty reputation. Consensus is, though, if you get a good one (and there are a lot more good ones than bad ones), you've got a gem.

You might also wish to consider a Kel-Tec PF-9. Slimmer than even the Taurus, inexpensive, and, from all reports, pretty reliable.:cool:

CCGS
January 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
for what it is worth, I sold a keltec pf9 because it would FTE or FTF at least once each 7 round mag... beside that it was a terrible pistol to shoot. I now own and carry daily the 709 slim. It is much, much better, has never had a FTF or FTE, and is actually comfortable to shoot and as accurate as I can be. fits in a nemisis pocket holster in my front pocket. As for the g26, it is a full thickness pistol, and isnt a pocket carry candidate, IMO. I dont have any experience with the Kahr.

B18C5-EH2
January 28, 2010, 02:27 PM
Here is a few pics I took of my Kahr PM9 (same exact slide and frame thickness as CW9 - .90'') and my Glock 39 (same thickness as Glock 26):

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/GS500/IMG_5029-Copy.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/GS500/IMG_5024-Copy.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/GS500/IMG_5023-Copy.jpg

There is no comparing the thickness - the Kahr a far much easier/more comfortable to carry than the Glock in terms of ISWB carry. The Glock now feels like a brick when I carry it thanks to the lighter, slimmer Kahr I carry sometimes.

Noteworthy though is that the CW9 is a touch lonher in slide and handle than the Glock. Depending on where you carry ISWB the barrel end of the slide might really dig into you.

I will be taking and posting direct side/by-side comparison pics of my "baby" Glock vs. a Kahr CW40 (same exact exterior dimensions as the CW9) tonight - my friend with the CW40 is bringing some ammo. We'll also do some PM vs. CW pics, as well as a S&W Airweight J-frame vs. "baby" Glock, Kahr PM9, and Kahr PM40.

B18C5-EH2
January 28, 2010, 02:40 PM
Kahr is a nice gun and is the smallest/easiest to carry. The only thing I didn't like about it was the trigger. It has too much play.

I've felt about 6 different Kahr triggers - 2 CW40s, 1 P9, 1 PM9 (my own),and two PM40s. None of them felt loose in any way. I think the trigger is actually one of the finer parts of the pistol.

...and he's comparing a Kahr to a Glock of all guns. Talk about a cheap feeling trigger. Plastic trigger and plastic trigger safety thing. Don't get me wrong I love my Glock too,but comparing triggers? Kahr hands down.

jfrey
January 28, 2010, 04:42 PM
I have Glocks and shoot them occasionally. I hate the trigger on them. That thingy in the middle of the trigger just doesn't fit my finger. I have had a Taurus PT111 Pro and although they are good guns, the trigger on the semi's just isn't to my liking either.

I got a Kahr CW9 for Christmas from my wife and the more I shoot it, the more I like it. It is very accurate and the trigger is wearing in very nicely. It was definitely a switch from shooting finely tuned 1911's but you will get used to it quickly if you put the rounds through it. The size is thinner than either the Glock or the Taurus and the weight is very manageable when you consider recoil. I have already retired my G36 in favor of the CW9.

The Kahr CW series runs around the same price as a Glock and they are both more expensive than the Taurus. It is strictly my opinion, but pound for pound, the Kahr is the best deal going.

kentucky_smith
January 28, 2010, 04:44 PM
The GLOCK is a world class gun. The other two, not so much.

jfrey
January 28, 2010, 04:50 PM
Kentucky, could you kindly explain your thinking here?

hdawson228
January 28, 2010, 05:05 PM
My year old Kahr CW9 has been absolutely perfect in every way. So concealable. Mine now sports the Crimson Trace laser (aging eyes) and dressed in a Mitch Rosen fine leather holster. Cost was $409. Worth more.:cool:

DaveTheCave
January 28, 2010, 05:38 PM
I own a Kahr CW9. I love it. I find it very accurate. The trigger pull seems long, but it really isn't bad, the Glock's is definitely better IMO. I've never shot a Taurus so I can't comment on it. But the CW9 is very small and skinny, which makes it very good for CWW. I have small hands so I like the skinnier guns.

Edit: And the Kahr is cheaper than the Glock. And as you said you like the higher mag capacity, Kahr is 7+1. So that could be a problem for you. And I've also been having a hard time finding Kahr magazines in my city, the only place that I found has ANY Kahr mags only had .40 and .45, laaaaame.

bdb benzino
January 28, 2010, 05:42 PM
I have a CW 9 and a CW 45 and now that I have them, there is no question any more to me...Kahr!!:cool:

B18C5-EH2
January 28, 2010, 05:47 PM
It's easy to say "brand X sucks" and even go find others' stories about jams, etc.

If a guy has owned numerous Glocks and never had a malfunction, and he has also owned numerous Kahrs (unlikely) and they have had malfunctions then I'd say he has earned the right to say "Glock rules, Kahr sucks." and vice versa.

I saw some stories of FTF/FTE malfunctions on various Kahr models (mostly the PM40 for some reason) but I got too killer of a deal on my PM9 to pass up. I'll be putting about 250 rounds through it this Saturday to get through the "break-in" period and maybe I'll post a great, or not so great, story about it.

As far as conceal-ability the thinner Kahr has a clear advantage. I own a Glock and a Kahr and the Khar is on my person (ISWB holster) right now after having had it on me since 8:00am ET - it's now 5:45. I'd have probably already put the Glock away in a file cabinet a few times due to the "dig" it does due to it's added girth.

The Glock might be the better firearm, but not if it's not on you because you grew sore from carrying it.

;)

B18C5-EH2
January 28, 2010, 05:51 PM
BTW:

You will get to see side by side comps for certain as I've confirmed my buddy is bringing his Kahr CW40 over tonight for comp photos.

I know shooting the pistol is ultimately the determining factor, but you also have to live with carrying the pistol far more than you do shooting it. Comp pics might help you see the differences.

richiep
January 28, 2010, 06:19 PM
I would really like to see those pictures. Thank you. I have a local gun range in town that lets you try out firearms. I might go over there and see if they have the kahr, taurus, or glock to help me decide.

varoadking
January 28, 2010, 06:27 PM
Take this for what it's worth...

I am 57 years old and have been carrying handguns since 1975...and can carry anything I choose...

I carry a Kahr...

boykinhntr
January 28, 2010, 06:37 PM
You will get tons of varying opinions on this. Including mine...I am not a fan of Kahr CW pistols. The trigger is long and the few I have had experience with had problem. The last one was my shooting buddy's. It dropped the mag often and jammed every 10 rounds or so. I put many rounds through it trying to help him fix the problem. However, all manufacturers have issues. Pick the one that feels right to you.

I am tempted by the PT709 myself. I just bought a PT738 and gave been shocked at it's accuracy. AWESOME GUN

hdawson228
January 28, 2010, 07:35 PM
A couple of posts have mentioned the Kahr trigger pull being long. It is. It's DAO. Long, very smooth and very clean breaking. About six pounds, to take a guess. Most owner-posters (that I've read) comment very favorably on the trigger.:cool:

NWCP
January 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
I like the trigger on my Kahr PM9. Smooth as silk and the pistol is very concealable as would be the CW9. Of your 3 listed options the Kahr would be a good way to go. Go to a range that rents one and try it out for yourself.

Microgunner
January 28, 2010, 07:53 PM
My Kahr PM9 is a whole lot easier to tote than my Glock 26. We sell the Taurus 709 and it looks and feels nice, but I've never fired or carried one.

PhoenixConflagration
January 28, 2010, 08:38 PM
Of the three you mention, the only one small enough to easily carry in your pocket is the 709slim. Now, if pocket carry is not your goal, go with the Glock. The extra capacity and the sterling reputation for reliability are in its favor. The proper holster (Crossbreed SuperTuck!) will make its thickness a non-issue.

But if your goal is pocket carry, then get the Taurus. Or a Kahr PM9 instead of the CW9, but that's a lot more expensive.

B18C5-EH2
January 28, 2010, 09:52 PM
As promised here are some pics - I'm posting a dedicated topic soon in this forum to illustrate more too...

First up - "baby" Glock and Kahr CW series - noteworthy is the pinky extension on the Glock. It would be a bit shorter in the grip without it, but not as controllable to shoot since this one is the 39 chambered in .45 GAP.

Side by side they cover each other pretty well:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/CCW%20comparisons/G39vCW401.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/CCW%20comparisons/G39vCW404.jpg

The Kahr's slenderness shows here:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/CCW%20comparisons/G39vCW403.jpg

...and then the Glock looks fat next to the CW:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/CCW%20comparisons/G39vCW406.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/CCW%20comparisons/G39vCW407.jpg

B18C5-EH2
January 28, 2010, 09:54 PM
Now I know you haven't mentioned the Kahr PM9, but here's a little pic here to show you how much smaller it is that the CW:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/CCW%20comparisons/PM9vCW402.jpg

Another:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/CCW%20comparisons/PM9vCW403.jpg

Handle:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/CCW%20comparisons/PM9vCW404.jpg

Hope this helps.

I holster the G39 and the Kahr PM9 regularly and the PM9 rules for ISWB. you could pocket it before any Glock and even the CW series Kahr.

I'll be shooting all three this weekend. I'll be sure to post my findings. I've shot a hundred or so through my G39 and I love it. It's just not as "comfy" for carry since I've discovered Kahr Arms.

shinerjohn
January 29, 2010, 12:06 AM
I've had my Kahr CW9 for almost 2 years and never had a problem with it. I consider the trigger excellent: very smooth. I'm not a big boy (5'10", 165 lb) and my hands aren't big. The feel of the CW9 in my hand is very natural and I have complete control of the pistol. The .9" thiickness allows me to carry it all day in my Crossbreed Super Tuck in total comfort.

Glocks are excellent, reliable pistols but they do not fit my hand. They don't feel right and I can't control the pistol as well. If I had bigger hands, they might fit just fine. However, I still don't believe I could conceal them as well.

The Taurus PT709 looks interesting. However, my experiences with the Taurus I bought and the "service" from Taurus (BrazTech) won't allow me to even consider a Taurus firearm. I know there are plenty of good ones out there, but I don't wish to go through the hassle to find them. That's just me.

I don't hesitate to recommend Kahr pistols to you. The CW9 and K9 pistols I've had, have worked flawlessly.

richiep
January 29, 2010, 02:13 AM
I really appreciate all of the responses. The pictures really do show a difference in the pistols. I think i am leaning towards the cw9 on this one. I did not realize there was such a difference in the size of the pm9 and the cw9
The comparison pictures are really helpfull. It is hard to compare gun sizes by just reading the size charts.

les265
January 29, 2010, 02:45 AM
I owned a Glock 26 and currently own a Kahr CW9. I do like the trigger on the Glock better, but I have no complaints about the Kahr trigger, it is just a different type than the Glock. I got rid of the Glock because it was too thick to carry IWB comfortably. I bought the CW9 because of how thin it is. It also feels very good in my hand and shoots great. The Glock 26 is a great gun, but I seemed to leave it at home more often than not. The Kahr is much easier to carry.

iblong
January 29, 2010, 08:09 AM
I had a Glock 26 and loved shooting it,In the( IWB)not so much.I bought a Kahr cw9 and it carries much nicer and shoots just as well.My wife stole it and she carries it 24/7.and shoots it amazingly well.I bought a Pm9 for summer carry or back up and its been awesome nice trigger and real accurate.
I have had zero failures with either and think there great little pistols.
That said my daily carry is a 1911 Colt officer that I carry(IWB) and other than weight it carries and conceals as easy as the CW9.and is a touch more comforting.
bob.

Akimbo
January 31, 2010, 11:03 PM
I like the glock 26, Mainly because of glock's popular and reliable name.

TEAM GLOCK:)

AcridSaint
January 31, 2010, 11:48 PM
Not being a "Glock guy", I can't say that I find the Glock trigger to be better than the Kahr. I do like Glock pistols just fine, but I think that the Kahr trigger has a far better feel.

I also like the slenderness of the Kahr - it's on the short list for guns I want to pick up. The slides on the ones I've handled were crazy tight and had fairly heavy recoil springs. That would be the one thing I would call a "detractor".

Funny thing RE any pistol will FTF/FTE etc. I saw part of a Gabe Suarez video where he had like three malfunctions in just a couple of minutes of video. He was shooting a Glock and was not running malfunction drills. Here's what the tells me - all firearms malfunction and the best way to overcome it is to practice getting them back in the fight.

TUFF99
February 8, 2010, 10:25 AM
I also looked at the Kahr cw9 and taurus709 but decided to get the glock26. ive had it two weeks and have put 600rds through it so far without a single hiccup. I am 6-1 225lbs and have no prob CC'ing it with jeans and a t-shirt. The thickness has not been a prob so far.

If size is important to you, may I suggest the Kel-Tec pm9. smaller than a Kahr and still in 9mm.

I give the Glock26 a 10 out of 10 for CC

richiep
February 8, 2010, 10:36 AM
I am still debating on the glock 26 and khar cw9. My buddy just bought a cw9 so i will be able to test it out shortly. I really like the glocks at the same time. I dried fired khar the other day and the trigger was unbeleivably smoot for a DA

O'Dell
February 8, 2010, 05:22 PM
I went into my LGS back in Sept. with the intent of buying a 709 Slim. At the time the online reviews were somewhat spotty, so I had some doubts. Anyway, when I left the store, I was carrying a CW9, and it's been a great gun. 400+ flawless rounds with ball and various HP's including my carry rounds of Gold Dots and Federal HST's. It also has low felt recoil for a small 9mm, unlike my PF9, which is sorta ammo finicky. In fact, I like it so well, when I went to a 45 winter carry recently, my first 45 was a CW45.

B18C5-EH2
February 8, 2010, 05:51 PM
I also looked at the Kahr cw9 and taurus709 but decided to get the glock26. ive had it two weeks and have put 600rds through it so far without a single hiccup. I am 6-1 225lbs and have no prob CC'ing it with jeans and a t-shirt. The thickness has not been a prob so far.

I'm not sure how big the OP is, but all in all a person's size won't change the fact that the CW9 is only .90'' thick whereas the Glock 26 is 1.18'' thick. It doesn't sound like much difference, but I've carried my baby Glock all day, then carried a CW40 the very next day - the difference in thickness IS night and day IMO when carrying in an ISWB holster.

My PM9 is obviously extremely easy to carry when compared to the brick...er...I mean my Glock.

If size is important to you, may I suggest the Kel-Tec pm9. smaller than a Kahr and still in 9mm.

I'm assuming you mean the Kel-Tec PF-9,right?

The Kel-Tec PF9 is smaller than the Kahr Arms CW9, but is larger than the Kahr Arms PM9.

The Kel-Tec from most owners' accounts isn't a bad pistol,but it doesn't take long to find complaints about them not feeding certain ammo, etc. I almost bought a Kel-Tec PF-9, but found a stupid deal on a Kahr PM9 that I just had to jump on.

Comparatively speaking the Kahr Arms pistols are of higher build quality than the Kel-Tec. It is easily seen when comparing the plastics and the finishes on them. The Kel-Tec has seams in it's plastics that can be felt, and this includes the plastic trigger itself. The Kahr has a smooth in feel and in action metal trigger and overall more attention to detail.

If cost/funds are a concern then the comparison should still be Kahr CW9 vs Kel-Tec, but if one can afford the even smaller Kahr Arms PM9 then I say by all means buy one. Polygonal rifling, match grade barrel, smaller overall dimensions, metal trigger with smoother action, etc. etc.

I give the Glock26 a 10 out of 10 for CC

I'd give it 10/10 for shooting fun,but for daily CC duties a person such as myself that carries for up to 10 hours definitely wants something lighter and slimmer.

In regards to actual comfortable carry I give the baby Glock a 7/10 and the Kahr Arms offerings 10/10.

:)

idahonotch
March 12, 2010, 02:28 PM
I purchased a Kahr 45 new and loved the way it shot and carried. Unfortunately, with less than 150 rounds fired, it cracked nearly 360 degrees around the top of the grip from the left side of the trigger guard to the right side. If it hadn't pinched the webbing of my hand, it would likely have split in two before the crack was discovered. I sent the firearm back to Kahr and 62 days later, after hours on the phone, most of the time on hold, I received a replacement. The replacement did not fire to point of aim, had a pin in the grip that had been over drifted, and the side cover started to fall off. I promptly sold it as I refused to go thru all the hassle needed to get it repaired.

Needless to say, I'd never buy another Kahr nor would I recommend one. You can't get anyone to return your calls if you have a proble. You're extremely lucky if you can reach a human being, and if you do, you're very likely to be given the runaround.

I have several friends that have sold their Kahrs due to failure to feed problems. They just didn't have any faith in them as a carry gun.

If anyone doubts the cracked grip concern, email me, I have lots of photos of the gun!!

Bamashooter
March 12, 2010, 03:21 PM
Well i cant afford a kahr. I dont like glocks. That kinda narrows it down. Despite what ive heard here and other places about taurus, all the taurus' ive owned or shot seemed to be pretty good guns.

5whiskey
March 12, 2010, 04:26 PM
idahonotch, I'm actually very sorry you've had that experience. I don't know why you would think that someone would not believe you... I don't see why anyone has a reason to lie about a **** poor personal experience.

I'm sorry for your experience because you've been turned off by a lemon in a particularly good brand of firearm, IMHO. I don't blame you though. If I had 1 glock, and it happened to be the 1 in 10k that was a lemon, I would write off glocks. I'm human, and it's hard to stay open-minded after such a bad experience, even when everyone else says that they've had great experiences with the product.

I've been very pleased with my Kahr. I can't say I've had thousands of rounds through it, but I am past the break-in period with no issues what-so-ever. It's Oh so easy to conceal and carry, and the trigger is outstanding. I love my little Kahr, I just hope it keeps humming ;)

B18C5-EH2
March 12, 2010, 04:26 PM
I purchased a Kahr 45 new and loved the way it shot and carried. Unfortunately, with less than 150 rounds fired, it cracked nearly 360 degrees around the top of the grip from the left side of the trigger guard to the right side. If it hadn't pinched the webbing of my hand, it would likely have split in two before the crack was discovered. I sent the firearm back to Kahr and 62 days later, after hours on the phone, most of the time on hold, I received a replacement. The replacement did not fire to point of aim, had a pin in the grip that had been over drifted, and the side cover started to fall off. I promptly sold it as I refused to go thru all the hassle needed to get it repaired.

Needless to say, I'd never buy another Kahr nor would I recommend one. You can't get anyone to return your calls if you have a proble. You're extremely lucky if you can reach a human being, and if you do, you're very likely to be given the runaround.

I have several friends that have sold their Kahrs due to failure to feed problems. They just didn't have any faith in them as a carry gun.

If anyone doubts the cracked grip concern, email me, I have lots of photos of the gun!!

Exactly WHEN did all of this take place?

The reason I ask is that Kahr's customer service has been nothing short of amazing for me and a co worker, and everything I've read about their customer service and turn around time has been nothing but positive.

I could call Kahr right now and get Ian Burr on the phone, or if leaving a message he's always returned my call within 30 minutes or so.

Kahr might have had some customer service issues in the past, but lately their turn around time has been approx. SIX DAYS which is only FOUR business days - you can't beat that.

I just have a problem with someone registering on a message board for the sole purpose of trashing a brand. I'd like to see those pics, see when this occurred, know who exactly at Kahr you dealt with, etc. etc.

I'm not saying your experience didn't suck, and my positive experience (and that of a dozen or more member here on TFL) doesn't negate your horrible experience, but it's shocking that you had such an experience.

voodoo54
March 12, 2010, 04:49 PM
I own a Glock and a Kahr and for CCW the Kahr beats the Glock hands down. The Glock is a great Service Weapon/Home Defender but the Glock pales in comparison for CCW.

NoScreenName
March 12, 2010, 05:43 PM
My Kahr MK9 is my new favorite. It hasn't been more than 3 ft away from me since it was deemed reliable.

Love the trigger. Nothing like any revolver I've ever fired. Much, much better.

Try the Kahr. You'll like it.

You'll like the Glock too.

NO comment on the Taurus.

O'Dell
March 15, 2010, 12:39 AM
I faced the same decision last summer [[Except for the G26 - I can't shoot them well]. I actually went to my LGS to buy a 709. Sitting next to it in the case was a CW9. It was smaller and lighter, so I took a chance and left with the Kahr. I couldn't be happier - well over 400 rounds of ball, HP's, and various defense rounds w/o one problem. I sold my PF9, because the CW9 is almost the same size, and the KT was ammo finicky. In fact, when I recently started a conversion to 45, the CW45 was my first purchase. So far through 200 rounds, it's also been perfect.

O'Dell
March 15, 2010, 12:43 AM
Sorry, I forgot I had already posted - gotta work on that memory.

Golddog
March 15, 2010, 07:28 PM
I've owned and carried both the CW9 and the 26. The 26 is lighter and slimmer and perhaps the most comfortable decent-sized gun to carry concealed.

But carry is only part of the deal. While the CW9 trigger is OK as DAO guns go, the pull is still very long and requires lots of practice. The Glock pull is excellent, and any reasonably experienced gun person can shoot it quite well with virtually no training. The first time I shot the 26, I knew the CW9 was history.

shinerjohn
March 15, 2010, 09:58 PM
The 26 is lighter and slimmer and perhaps the most comfortable decent-sized gun to carry concealed.

Golddog, actually the CW9 is thinner and lighter than the Glock 26. Glock 26 in 1.18" wide, while the CW9 is .90" wide. The Glock 26 weighs 19.75 oz. while the CW9 weighs only 15.8 oz.

B18C5-EH2
March 15, 2010, 10:12 PM
I've owned and carried both the CW9 and the 26. The 26 is lighter and slimmer and perhaps the most comfortable decent-sized gun to carry concealed.

Ummm no. I don't believe you've owned and carried both guns, because if you had you'd never make a statement that flies in the face of facts.

I've already established long ago in this very topic that the Glock is a bloated pig compared to the Kahr CW series. Here's a reminder:

Kahr CW on the left at .90'' - Glock on the right at 1.18'':

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/B18C5-EH2/CCW%20comparisons/G39vCW406.jpg

But carry is only part of the deal. While the CW9 trigger is OK as DAO guns go, the pull is still very long and requires lots of practice. The Glock pull is excellent, and any reasonably experienced gun person can shoot it quite well with virtually no training. The first time I shot the 26, I knew the CW9 was history.

Do you work for Glock or something? I happen to own a Glock 39 and two Kahr arms PM series pistols (PM9 and PM40) and there is more of a learning curve for the Glocks because they have what feels to be a "two stage" trigger meaning that the first 75% of the trigger pull is lighter, then it tensions up significantly before you finally squeeze through to make the pistol fire. I'm used to it so I like it a lot.

BUT!

Anyone who shoots my Glock and Kahr PM9 (nobody else has shot the PM40) immediately comment on how much better the PM9 trigger is compared to the Glock. The PM9 trigger is long, but steady, and the actual trigger itself being smooth metal feels better touch-wise than the double plastic trigger mechanism on the Glock IMO.

The trigger thing is certainly a subjective issue, but you cannot twist the laws of physics to say that a fatter, heavier (Glock) pistol is lighter and slimmer than the lighter and slimmer pistol!

:D

Sgt Pepper
March 15, 2010, 11:53 PM
I like Glock, but Kahr all the way on this one. I had my questions about Kahr until I took a chance on one, and I will never look back for CCW. Light, slim, comfortable to shoot, nice trigger, accurate as hell. LOVE my P45.

hdawson228
March 16, 2010, 07:45 AM
No question, Glock is a very good weapon. But it still has a grip angle than many find unnatural. However, the Kahr is a great self defense handgun.

I agree with B18c5-EH2, Not sure Golddog has seen the Kahr.:cool:

PSP
March 16, 2010, 08:17 AM

Idahonotch, I'd be very interested in seeing these pictures, either posted here or sent to me in a PM. Thanks.

B18C5-EH2
March 16, 2010, 09:46 AM
Idahonotch, I'd be very interested in seeing these pictures, either posted here or sent to me in a PM. Thanks.

I like how Idahonotch jumps in the fray, posts his only post here on TFL, and then doesn't respond for days on end when asked about his statements. I can go forum jumping and say the exact same things like:

"I've owned 2 of brand X pistols and they are junk. Mine broke. Don't believe me? I'll show you the pics!"

...and the anecdotal:

"I've had numerous friends who owned those brand X guns and every one of them were garbage. None of my friends will even consider owning another brand X pistol."

...and the ever popular:

"A local gun store here stopped carrying brand X firearms due to the overwhelming amount of problems and crappy customer service."

I can post all of this garbage and never come back to bolster the statements. Until Idahonotch comes back in here to clarify his remarks all he's done is be a worthless troll who is just stirring up an argument,albeit a one-sided one if he won't come back here to explain...

SQUAREKNOT
March 16, 2010, 11:42 AM
I just bought a CW40. The first 6 rds through it at 15 feet were 1". Its very well made and carries easy. I was carrying a XD-45 but it weights a ton!
The trigger is great and smooth. The CW series does not have the polygonal rifling or match grade barrel but the polygonal rifling like the Glock do not like lead bullets at all.
The gun also has NO TOOL MARKS at all. Its a keeper and the 40 cal had less recoil than my S&W 638. 5 rounds versus 7 and a faster reload time.

los
March 16, 2010, 07:06 PM
I owned/carried a G26 for about 4 months in a holster considered by most to be the best IWB rig made. A Brommeland Max Con V. The G26 was reliable, accurate and ate almost everything I fed it. It's only fault [for me] was the weapon's girth. This is a chubby baby..!! I always had to dress around the weapon,..and I eventually got tired of this and sold it.

Here's a photo...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/G26withMCVPouch009r20p.jpg

I recently purchased my first Taurus built gun. A PT709 Slim. Needeless to say, the 709 is much thinner and lighter than the G26. I took the calipers out and documented the following measurements on my 709. The Slide measures a width of .915 at the front and rear sight,.. and a little wider [.950] at the ejection port. The grip is .885 at the front and rear strap and slightly buldges to .905 in the center of the grip.

The 709 has performed flawlessly and is very accurate at CQB distances. It comes with adjustible (windage and elevation) rear sights. My Slim has eaten everything I've fed it, including the dreaded WWB ammo. It's recoil is extremely manageable and handles +P loads very well. It can be pocket carried in [my] cargo shorts and IWB without having to dress around it. It effortlessly conceals under a thin t-shirt.

The price is another selling point. I saw new 709's being offered at local show this past weekend for a tad under $340. I purchased mine at a gun store last month for $379.00.

Here's a few photos..
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/PT709Slim-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/PT709Slim-2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/PT709048-22.jpg

BTW, I have no opinion on the Kahr as I've never owned one. :)

edteach
May 29, 2012, 05:00 PM
I can say IMO keep away from the Kahr far far away. Had one and just sold the POS. Magazine kept falling out and had to have it fixed, the recoil spring broke on break-in and Kahr refused to fix it. They wanted me to send it in on my dime 25 bucks so they could "look" at it. Its an 8 dollar spring and they want to look at it. Then after I called the third time they asked what I shot in it and after I said Ram and Federal they said they voided my warranty because RAM is re-manufactured ammo. LMAO I could not sell that POS fast enough. Bought a Glock 26 and will take it to the range tomorrow. From my experience with Glock they take care of their customers. I just called Glock on a Gen 2 19 with a broken cracked guide rod and they sent one out to my surprise.

Ace_Breaker
May 29, 2012, 05:43 PM
Glock by a wide margin. Every Taurus I owned broke, 3 of them. I don't ever plan on going down that road again. Kahr was not far behind in the problematic category. Mags dropping while firing, failure to feed, extract, and plastic problems(rails appeared to be melting down into frame and bunches of plastic build up near the grip) were a no go. They had the craziness to tell me to complete 500 round break in before considering the problems significant. Get real. I own two Glock 26's which have been 100% flawless. Enough said.

BGutzman
May 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
I am concerend about the guns thickness even though it is only 1.18" wide and I like the higher magazine capacity.

For me the problem with Glock and Taurus is not so great reliability. (In my opinion Taurus seems to have permanent problems and Glock seems to have recently slipped off some sort of cliff)

Id go with the Kahr

Dashunde
May 29, 2012, 07:16 PM
I can say IMO keep away from the Kahr far far away. Had one and just sold the POS. Magazine kept falling out and had to have it fixed, the recoil spring broke on break-in and Kahr refused to fix it.

1 - This thread is over two years old, drug up by edtech to complain (again) about Kahr.
2 - You admittedly threw away the recoil spring, eliminating their right to check out the failure.
3 - Its crystal clear that your sole purpose in these forums is to prowl around taking any opportunity to bash whatever manufacturer you feel has wronged you lately.

Folks, read here (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5089907&postcount=8) for some clarity on this guy, MeanMachine did all the work for us.

Sturmgewehre
May 29, 2012, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't give serious consideration to Taurus for a defensive arm. For range guns, sure. Defensive carry guns? You can do better. I see no reason to make concessions in quality or performance to save a few bucks when looking for a tool that might be called upon to save your life.

Of the other two, pick the one that fits your hand best and that you shoot best. No one can tell you how well you will shoot a pistol or how good a pistol will feel in your hands.

richiep
May 29, 2012, 08:57 PM
This post is extremely old. I ended up with the CW9 and for two years have never experienced a jam. I find the quality of the gun to be very nice at its price point.

TennJed
May 30, 2012, 02:07 AM
1 - This thread is over two years old, drug up by edtech to complain (again) about Kahr.
2 - You admittedly threw away the recoil spring, eliminating their right to check out the failure.
3 - Its crystal clear that your sole purpose in these forums is to prowl around taking any opportunity to bash whatever manufacturer you feel has wronged you lately.

Folks, read here [thefiringline.com] for some clarity on this guy, MeanMachine did all the work for us.

Pretty sure he is on another big gun forum under the name gunsnsprinkles posting the exact same thing. If they are different people then, they need to get together for a chat because the both have a big problem with Kahr and customer service reps with forgien accents.

I personaly have no problem with someone sharing expierences, good or bad, it helps us all. But people will take you much more serious if you contribute something else to the forum. Bringing up thread after thread of the same complaints comes across as a childish.

Do you have any positive comments about firearms that might be helpful to someone?

farmboy
May 31, 2012, 09:51 PM
I sold my Springfield Mil-Spec and bought a Kahr CW45. It was the best move I've made, at least for me.

These guns shoot nice and carry easy. If anyone is still reading this thread that might be on the fence, jump off. Go buy yourself a new Kahr.

wstein
June 5, 2012, 09:40 PM
I just went to range tonight to shoot my CW40 along with my XD40 and MP40. Have to say after shooting the XD and MP, the trigger pull threw me on the CW. I like the CW for my CCW weapon, just wish the trigger pull wasn't so long.

Just means more range time to get used to it.

Just a few rambling thoughts from the peanut gallery.

edteach
June 29, 2012, 08:16 AM
I had to file a complaint with the BBB to get someone at Kahr besides Ian in CS. I was finally contacted by Tim Pierce who is head of CS. He said that the old head of CS was an engineer and not a people person and did not fit in that job and has since moved on. This explains why in the past year that Kahr has had so many complaints about its CS. Tim was great and after I told him I sold my Kahr, asked if he gave me a good price on a new CW9 would it fix the problem?

I said yes and after a bit or wrangling I received my Kahr for 259. Its a good price for this gun. He said that my situation was absolutely handled incorrectly and he apologized. I was never in it for a grudge and said on all my posts I liked the size and feel of the Kahr. I was also told that the CS person I had encountered had been talked to about future situations like this and how not to handle them.

I was also told that Kahr knows that every day its customers use reloads in their products and that this is only a real potential problem with the poly rifling. I was told that the standard L&G rifling of the CW did not really have a problem as long as the reloads were not over pressured. I agree with this as this is how every gun company views reloads, its a way of saying that if you use reloads and its not loaded correctly and the result is a blown or ruptured gun the company has the right to say they will not cover it. I have no problem with this. I did have a problem with them saying if you shoot reloads your warranty is void. I was informed this is not the case at all. Thanks to Tim Pierce.

I received my Kahr CW today and took it to the range. Not one FTF or FTE. I use 115gr with 5 g or power pistol the low end of the reload grid. Works well. BTW the poly is only a problem with lead bullets, if you use copper case or FMJ not a problem. The review of the gun is that I hate the cheese grater friction on the grips but this is over come by a Houge sleeve. Makes the gun easy to hold. I also was hitting low and to the right which seems to be about what many others are saying. My first CW was almost POA.

I may put some adjustable rear sight on it. But since its for CCW and I have ordered an extra mag for it and holster ITPs, its not really a big deal. I sold my other CW and made 50 dollars on the deal so all in I am 209 for a new CW9. This makes up for the time and upset I went through. :):D

I hope that Kahr keeps up the course correction as they once had great CS and I hope they will again. As I told Timothy, an Asian chick with a great ass holding a Kahr may make many guys drool over the anatomy of the Asian chick but it does not do much except to the more unintelligent of the gun crowd to sell a gun. A happy customer will go a long long way to sell other people on the product. I have been contacted by at least 20 people who said that they were looking at the Kahr and now would not buy one. How many people have they told and so on.

I am satisfied with Kahr thus far and will put a few more hundred rounds down range before making my final judgment. As far as the Kahr vs the Glock, I like the feel of the Glock 26 and will keep it, but for CCW the Kahr slim outline is better for carry. The Kahr has a long but smooth take up on the trigger with a crisp break. The Glock is short and crisp, and I added a ghost TB and Hi Viz sights and that thing is dead on the money at 30 feet. The Kahr I have to adjust up and to the left, but if I can find an adjustable rear sight for my Kahr it may take care of that.

I wish I did not have to go all this way to fix a problem that should not have been a problem but Tim also agreed with me and I hope that I have helped to make a better Kahr experience for other gun owners. Your welcome.

Just a side note, when I picked up the CW at the local gun shop the person behind the counter said he just sold his CW40, he said he could not get a mag through it wihtout it jamming. I did not ask if he sent back the gun or not, he was clearly upset and did not feel the gun was something he wanted to put his life on the line with. I did not ask what he was going to go with in place of the Kahr. To be fair I have heard of every gun manufacture having some problems, this was not my original intent about the gun itself, it was rather about CS. I have had a problems with Rugers SR9 and a walking cam block pin that seems to be a problem in some but not all this series, and Ruger tried but could not seem to fix it. After about 30 to 50 rounds the cam block pin would walk out about 3/4s of the way. I cut a small grove in the pin and it let the slide stop spring set deeper into the channel and this seemed to take care of the problem but I sold it and bought the Smith M&P, and this gun has not given me one problem. I like Ruger and own many but this just ticked me off that a new gun would have this problem. I even like the SR9, I just don't trust it.

edteach
August 8, 2012, 11:47 AM
Well after a month of shooting the new CW, I can say it has not developed the same problem. The mag never dropped out, but it came with a metal mag release. The spring although weak did not break. The recoil spring was very weak, I can take my pinky and move the slide back about half and inch with very little pressure. It has not affected the feeding or ejecting in any way I can detect.

One thing I have noticed it shoots low and to the right. About 8 inch's low at 30 feet. The first CW was point of aim at the same distance. Next I noticed with the mag out the slide to frame has about a sixteenth of an inch of play up and down and if you pull the trigger with the mag out the slide moves back about the same amount. Again it has not affected performance as far as I can see. The trigger is still very poor, smooth but very long. It takes time to learn where the break is because its very long trigger pull. If you look at it like a double action revolver its about the same, but its not very good for accuracy. Slim and hidable inside the waist. Shoots lead ammo reloads well. It seems to digest everything I feed it so far. I tapped the rear dove tail sight over a bit and it seems to have brought it back to center but still low.

Fits nice in my hand, but I still am not in love with the thin rails in the front recoil spring area and small steel inserts in the rear. It does not seem to have had any problems due to this but its not as sturdy as many other polymer guns. I really wish the trigger was better. Its a very bad trigger, I guess some may not mind it if they are used to shooting DA revolvers, but if you want a Glock or SR9c trigger its not going to happen with this gun. I also don't like the 5 year warranty Kahr gives. If you believe you are making a good product then stand behind it. This make my idea of it being a light design more of an issue. What if the frame cracks at 5 years and a month? If it was the MK series where it was a SS frame, I think it would not matter to me as much.

Fishbed77
August 8, 2012, 03:27 PM
If it was the MK series where it was a SS frame, I think it would not matter to me as much.

Steel frames can crack too.

I own a CM9, and it has been 100% reliable out of the box with every type of ammo I've ever put through it.

Is it a Walther? No. But is a dang fine firearm for the $327 I spent on it, and is my primary carry piece.

Dashunde
August 8, 2012, 04:43 PM
The spring although weak did not break. The recoil spring was very weak, I can take my pinky and move the slide back about half and inch with very little pressure. It has not affected the feeding or ejecting in any way I can detect.

OMG... you'd complain if they hung you with a new rope.
I'm so sick of encountering your repetitive nonsense about Kahr's customer service (seemingly corrected with a $260 CW!!!) and your incessant idiocy surrounding their recoil springs - of which you THREW AWAY YOUR OWN FAULTY ONE THEN BASH THEM FOR NOT REPLACING IT.

That exact same recoil spring has been in service in the PM9 for over 10 years delivering excellent recoil absorption and small-9 shootability.
All these years later and the other manufacturers are still trying to better it with only moderate/partial success.

Enough of you - Find something new to crank on about... or don’t.
I just read every one of your 26+ posts - it sucked and I'd rather be kicked in the beans than do that again - nearly all are complaints professing about design flaws, bad customer service, dredging up 7 year old threads, and lets not forget my personal favorite bit of sickness from you...

Kahr can keep their guns as far as I am concerned. Not to mention its owned by a cult leaders son of the moonies, son of sung mung moon, you remember the arranged interracial marriages of the 90s? Nothing against interracial marriages but the cult did arranged marriages.

Yet here you are, again a Kahr owner. Still complaining about everything and nothing.

Lastly...
I really wish the trigger was better. Its a very bad trigger
You've got to be kidding...

edteach
August 8, 2012, 05:39 PM
Dashound, The only one bitching here is you. LMAO. Yep just got back from trading my Kahr for a Ruger SR9c. I love the trigger and the trigger on the Kahr is long and harder to use than the short clean braking Ruger and Glock. So Kahr helped me buy a new Ruger for 280. Thank you Kahr Sung young moon. Yes swinhound I did own a Kahr, when they sell you one direct at a price I can make 100 bucks on it at the drop of a hat it would be stupid not to.

If you don't like my post why do you keep counter posting? Hmmmm makes you wonder. You remind me of the bear who kept raping the hunter and the hunter keeps coming back and finally the bear says you ain't here for the hunting are you? Well hound you ain't here for the hunting are you?:rolleyes:

Now I own a Ruger SR9c. The gun seems to be better built than the Kahr, the trigger is light years above the Kahr, for me being left handed the mag release and the safety are ambi. Its also has the 10 round cap that it very nice and the gun fits my Kahr holster. Joy of joys. Another plus over the Kahr is that Kahr has a 5 year warranty and Ruger will just take care of a customer. The SR is not that much bigger than the Kahr and seems to conceal as good as the Kahr. So no more Kahrs for me unless they want to sell me a few more at 259 plus shipping. I will do that all day long and then get what I want. LMAO all the way to the bank. ;)

Dashunde
August 8, 2012, 09:52 PM
The only one bitching here is you

Your delusional, that’s all you’ve done here, grind on and on about Kahr and other makers. :rolleyes:
You contribute nothing to the forums, and it bewilders me how you've repeatedly gotten away with your foul language and vulgar innuendo.. perhaps no one is paying any attention to you? Rightfully so I suppose...

Your lucky you got that gun from Kahr, a lot of good it did them trying to pacify you - you’re a lousy customer.
I'll tell you what they should have told you - go pound sand.

edteach
August 8, 2012, 09:59 PM
Hahahahah, I know you are but what am I, Whine whine whine, Kahr should have given you nothing, whine whine whine. You don't post like I tell you to whine whine whine, Mods, spank this guy he has an issue with a gun I sell, whine whine whine.

I have not heard so much whining since I baby sat for my nieces. LOL. How old are you duckhound?

No one pay any attention to this guy, post post post. LOL you ain't here for the hunting are you duck hound?

Dashunde
August 8, 2012, 10:10 PM
I dont sell guns, I have nothing to do with the industry.

And I bet your next pointless post will be as equally stupid as the one above.
Go on... show us what you've got.

edteach
August 8, 2012, 10:23 PM
You must not have many friends, and feel that an argument is more fellowship than you get at home.

I am sorry you feel that the only way you can get attention is to troll a post that has nothing to do with you.

Maybe you can go to big brothers and find a friend. But if you think arguing is a way of making a connection then I think it would not work.

You could maybe fit in a neo Nazi org, your attitude seems to be in line with the skin heads. Don't worry, there is someone for you out there.

I know I am correct here, because all you have to do is not post nasty grams and it all ends, but you keep coming back so this tells me a couple of things.

One is that you have to have the last word and be the loudest mouth in the room, second that you have to be right even when you are wrong or there is no argument. Third that you love the attention you get from being the loud mouth. This makes you a sad sad little man. I feel sorry for you, it must be very lonely for you.

Fishbed77
August 8, 2012, 10:57 PM
Wow. I can't believe this thread hasn't been locked yet.

Dashunde
August 8, 2012, 11:16 PM
I know, its amazing.

I do like the skin head idea though, ah.. but wait... My wife is Japanese (and now so is our daughter) Think they'll still let me in?

edteach
August 8, 2012, 11:28 PM
Don't you mean American? and you duckhound are the one hijacking a thread and then come on and say, I know like the kid who ate the cookies and is pointing the finger at someone else. I have to believe your really 15 yo. Its the only explanation I can think of that would not make it very sad. All I can say is quit trolling and hijacking threads that are not yours. :)

Dashunde
August 8, 2012, 11:39 PM
Your out of balance somehow, very immature, and seemingly dont understand what people say, or even your own writing.
You have no business owning a gun.

I'm done with you, but your welcome to keep carrying on as I'm sure you will... :rolleyes:

edteach
August 8, 2012, 11:47 PM
Carry on with out you? You act like I wanted you to participate in this post in the first place. Good ridens to you. Keep your rear off my posts old boy. You keep talking about going but you don't your like the relative who will not leave. GO, leave, there is the door, don't let it hit you in the rear end, walk away, I can say it in several more ways to get it through that thick skull if you want.

cltinseattle
August 8, 2012, 11:59 PM
I have not fired the Kahr but I have fired the Taurus 709 Slim and the Glock 26. The Glock wins hands down. The Taurus had one of the worst triggers I have ever felt and would sometimes fail to reset. Remember that for concealed carry you are not just talking about a handgun you are looking at a "system". Beginning with the belt, I recommend Bullhide Belts. That's not to say that there are not other really good belts out there but I have two Bullhide Belts and have found them both to be of excellent quality. When considering the purchase of a concealed carry handgun I also consider what holsters are available, both for the gun and for extra magazines, also are Crimson Trace Grips or a Crimson Trace LaserGuard available. (I prefer the LaserGuard.) Is there a holster available for the handgun + LaserGuard? Also, does it come with night sights or are there night sights available?

My EDC System consists of a Bullhide Belt, a Glock 26 with a Pearce Grip 1-round extension on the magazine for carry and 2 15-round magazines with ProMag grip spacers on my off-hand side. Mods to the Glock 26 include the Crimson Trace LaserGuard and Meprolight Night Sights. My holster is an IWB Crossbreed Supertuck made for the Glock 17 with the LaserGuard. The reason I got the Glock 17 Supertuck was so that I would have the extra leather to trim it down to fit to my body. In addition I also have a Klarus XT2A flashlight and a Kershaw Leek pocket knife. The Leek may get replaced by a Kershaw Funxion EMT if I can ever get my hands on one.

Best of luck in your search. :)

Justice06RR
August 9, 2012, 05:02 AM
Carry on with out you? You act like I wanted you to participate in this post in the first place. Good ridens to you. Keep your rear off my posts old boy. You keep talking about going but you don't your like the relative who will not leave. GO, leave, there is the door, don't let it hit you in the rear end, walk away, I can say it in several more ways to get it through that thick skull if you want.

I would tread carefully and keep it civil in here, as the Mods are always watching with thread-lock ready :D

Just sayin...

edteach
August 9, 2012, 06:26 AM
I to had a Taurus 709 and sold it because of the trigger and the jamming problem they seem to have. The slim had a trigger like the Kahr, even though the trigger on the Kahr was smooth its way too long. I also have a Glock and M&P and both are like the SR9 short crisp triggers, I added a ghost bar to my G26 and its even better. I added also front and rear Hi Viz sights to my G26 and what a difference that made. The one thing on a Glock I hate is the sights.

I bought a front Hi Viz sight for my SR9c. Well its off to the range today to put the SR thought its paces. I have about 150 rounds of lead hand loads I just finished and will see how she eats them. My M&P and Glock run them fine.I know the G26 has a type of poly rifling and its not the best but I only run a few and then clean it well.

I clean every gun I shoot after every trip to the range. The SR also fits the holster for the Kahr better than the Kahr did. So I don't feel there will be any difference in the conceal-ability of the SR over the Kahr.

The Ruger seems to be a bit heftier built than the Kahr, but who knows, I have heard people say they have two or three thousand rounds through a CW and it may be a good design. Its not from me. :D

edteach
August 9, 2012, 06:31 AM
Justice I understand and hope no more hi jacks of this thread. I have always felt if you don't like a thread you did not start you don't have to post on it and troll things up. My opinions are not gong to be the same as everyone else's and its good they are not. What a boring place if every one thought the same. Some people think polymer guns are the dumbest thing since Xrays to see if your shoes fit well Others feel if its not a Colt 1911 its a waste of time. I like all guns, but some are not for me.

I know the XD series from Springfield has a great rep and people love them, not me, they look to me like a toy and I hate the high bore axis. I would take a Glock any day, not saying if you like the XD its a bad gun its just not for me. I do love a Colt 1911 though. LOL:D

Dashunde
August 9, 2012, 07:09 AM
This not your thread - never was - you simply crapped on the end of it back on June 29 with your big windy diatribe titled "Kahr Sucks".
Then returned yesterday and revived the thread to tell us how the gun functions perfectly - yet you STILL have complaints.

Now you want to act all innocent, mature, and "hope no more hi jacks of this thread".
You fool, this thread was dead back on June 29th... then you showed up again.

edteach
August 9, 2012, 07:14 AM
Back again trolling I see. I thought we had to go on "without you"? so much for that bit of hope.

You know I loved your PM telling me to F off. LOL and who is the juvenile?

You keep saying that you are walking away but you don't, I think you like controversy and actually thrive on it.

Can you just go away and leave posts you don't like alone?:rolleyes:

What would it take for you to go away? I tell you what I will buy you a Popsicle if you just go away, or give you a quarter to go out side and leave the adults alone. ;)

Wishoot
August 9, 2012, 11:39 AM
Back on topic sort of...

If you're looking for something that's small, light and comfortable to carry, you should add an LC9 to this list.

I have no problems with Kahr's, I just feel the LC9 is as good of a gun at a much better price. The Glock is a great choice, but just too big to easily conceal IMO. I have no experience with a Taurus and never will.

Tactical Jackalope
August 9, 2012, 03:17 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6937b17-1af3-0e03.jpg

LMFAO

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / G30 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android

edteach
August 9, 2012, 03:23 PM
Got back from the range with the SR9C. Shot well no problems, Its point of aim is a bit to the right. I will try to take it out when the HI Viz sight arrives and I put it on. A bit to the left should make it hit point of aim. Nice gun and trigger is much better than the Kahr.

Tactical Jackalope
August 9, 2012, 03:38 PM
Just got myself a CW9...Should be here in a few days. I bet this thread will be locked by then. So I won't be able to post here..Oh well. Maybe it won't be locked?

Anyways, been looking up reviews on it on YouTube..where I saw that post above from "edteach" lol huge coincidence. Started research here then hit the Tube...That was funny catching that. Literally laugh out loud.

Heard that the back grip is a pain in the ass for those who shoot it a lot. I always shoot a lot. Last range trip was 500rds out of my new SIG 1911 xo..Go big! *flexes*

Anyways, think I may stipple the darn thing or something...I'll see after I shoot it. I mean I have 5pli grips on my 1911 and that wasn't bad at all. So this Kahr should be cake. :)

Pukindog12
August 9, 2012, 05:02 PM
I got a CW9 a few months back and was so impressed with this little gem that I purchased another and sold my PF9 within a week (which also was a good pistol).

They may not be for everyone, but for me they are the epitome of a great carry gun. :D

To Constantine: Try a Hogue Handall Jr. Both my CW9s wear them and they work well.

edteach
August 9, 2012, 05:16 PM
Don't really see what is funny about posting a reply on YT, but what ever gets you off. The hogue is a must for the CW, the aggressive friction ridges are sharp and uncomfortable. Plus its a bit too thin unless you have girl hands. I have been carrying my new SR9c and its not much difference to the CW. My CW was fine, the last one that is. They seem to be hit and miss but what company does not have its problems, The CW is not for me but what ever floats your boat.

edteach
August 10, 2012, 05:55 PM
Picked up a Hi Viz for the SR9 and installed it. Went on easy enough. I love the Hi Viz. I don't know if they make them for the Kahr but I have not found them. I think this was a good trade. Kahr may be for some but not for me. I think I would buy a Colt Mustang before I bought another Kahr. :p

plom
August 13, 2012, 03:04 PM
I had a Kahr K9 and a CW9... The pistols were good but the mags were crap... As long as I stufed them with FMJ there was no problem, but with Hollow points I could not load it with 7 rounds... I tryed many different without success, even changed the springs... never had this problem with my glock 26...

edteach
August 13, 2012, 03:42 PM
I have heard several people complain about the followers breaking or cracking. I talked with one guy at the range a week ago that said the bottom cracked and fell off. I have not had any problems with the mags except that the CW9 only came with one. Kahr acts like they are just offering you a less expensive gun, how much does it cost Kahr for a mag? 8 bucks? 10? So add ten bucks to the gun and save people the trouble of shopping for a second mag. Its a stupid way of saving money.

My personal opinion is that all the supposed savings they use to say its a way of saving money, is a way of saving face and dropping the price of their way over priced guns. By saying we want to get people who can not afford a high quality Kahr, the ability to buy one of our guns, we did XY&Z to make them more affordable. I don't believe that by making the corners of the slide camphor instead of an OG, and dropping a mag, and doing standard rifling instead of poly takes a gun that sells for 800 to 360.

Even though its a marketing scam IMO, its a way to keep selling guns over priced to those who are dumb enough to spend more money on something they are not getting, and also capture some of the market where people actually want something for their money. This is why I never looked at Kahr in the first place. I never saw their guns as being worth what they were asking for them.

How is a Kahr PM worth 750 but a Glock 26 is 499? Look at the Rorbough 9mm. asking price is 1000 or more. I mean what the heck do they do to make it worth that kind of money? Is it gold inside? Its too small to handle well for a 9mm. I have held them and I have med. hands. Its about the size of a TCP and I have watched people shoot them and the range and they almost jump out of their hands. Its almost like the joke on SNL where they kept making the phones smaller until you needed a tooth pick stylus to punch the numbers.

Dashunde
August 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
I had a Kahr K9 and a CW9... The pistols were good but the mags were crap... As long as I stufed them with FMJ there was no problem, but with Hollow points I could not load it with 7 rounds

Kahr doesnt have the greatest 7-rounders, mine acted up too, mostly a nose-dive into the bottom of the feed ramp.
I sent the 7-rounder into them with a polite note explaining and requesting a 6-rounder instead.
The new mag showed up in about a week and my PM9 has been 100% on both 6-rounders after many boxes of fmj and 4 or 5 boxes of Winchester PDX1.

edteach
August 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
I am not sure why a 6 round mag would work better than a 7 round mag. I am sure they make the extended 8 round mag also. I hate that bottom they put on it, it looks like its backwards when its in. As far as the floor plates go I know the guy at the range I talked to bought the steel floor plates for one of the smaller guns and they fit fine. That seemed to solve that problem. I had no problems with my 7 round mags and I had about 600 or so through it before selling it.

Tactical Jackalope
August 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
Finally got mine. Shot it today.

Thumbs down. Not the guns fault, my hands are just massive. I shoot it better with one hand. But all in all, my trigger finger needs to go back way too far on the trigger to fire the darn thing.

I'll give it to my girl or something.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / Kahr CW9 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android

PPBart
September 1, 2012, 06:36 PM
I've read mixed reviews here and elsewhere, but seems more positive than negative -- so when Cabelas put the CW9 on sale I bought one today. I had two gift cards plus some reward $ on my Cabelas Visa, so my out-of-pocket was trivial. Haven't shot mine yet, but I have fired several mags thru a friend's CW9 and liked it. Plan to go to the range sometime in next few days to start breaking mine in.

Plan is to make this one my everyday carry gun, so I'll be looking for an IWB holster -- anyone care to make a recommendation?

Pukindog12
September 2, 2012, 01:13 AM
http://shieldedholsters.com/
http://theisholsters.com/
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

cougar gt-e
September 2, 2012, 08:13 AM
I too bought a Taurus slim, the 40 cal 740 (same dimensions as the 709). Summary: It's crappy until you REALLY clean and lube it. Then it's pretty sweet. The trigger especially changed radically for the better after some lov'n on the bench! Only fired ~200 rounds, but it's been flawless for operational reliability and easily able to keep 6 rounds in a 4" circle at 30ft.

I joined the Taurusarmed board and posted the following there after getting it. Sorry it's long!

Ok, picked up the gun today. Brought it home and immediately struggled to get the
slide off. After about a minute, I realized the safety was on and the trigger couldn't
release the sear. Whoops! Pulled the slide off and ***??? I've bought C&R guns
packed with less cosmoline than the Brazilians crammed in there! Cleaned at it for
a while and got the slide and frame pretty clean, but the trigger still felt like there
was some gunk in the striker channel or something. So... pulled the striker out.
That wasn't too bad. Just push the plastic tube back and pry up the back plate.
But wowzers, there is a lot of tension from that spring loaded deal that holds the
plate from moving.

After convincing the striker and that plastic tube to come out, I cleaned the
compacted grunge out of the striker channel. It was pretty dirty and gritty. Remember
I've not even fired the pistol at this point! Anyway, sprayed 100% silicone
into the channel and on the striker. That's what I use to both protect from rust
and to make stuff slick but not gooey. Then put it back and slid it with my finger. There
was a catch in it somewhere. Found the mold parting line on the back side of the
plastic was standing proud by 3/4 to 1 mil and smoothed it down with a diamond board.
Much better. Putting it back together wasn't too traumatic. Certainly easier than
an XD family pistol as there are fewer spring tensioned parts to contend with (and
search for on the floor after they launch!).

Then I sprayed and scrubbed on the frame / sear area and then lubed with EEZOX after
the obligatory 100% silicone. Added some 100% synthetic grease to the frame rails
and it was gliding pretty nice.

Then moved to the mag release. Cripes! It was gunked up and wouldn't allow the mag
to drop. You could press the button and then pull it out, but that's no good! So, spray, scrub
and lube. Then lube some more (especially inside the mag well with 100% silicone) then
a spray of EEZOX worked into both sides of the mag release button. Then inserted and
removed a 5/6 full mag (snap caps) a couple dozen times with each mag. Then ran
a patch up in the mag well area to clean out the droppings , followed by more lube.
Now the mag release is working much smoother and the mags are actually dropping.

Then took the mags apart and cleaned the insides. Again, what the heck were they thinking
with those base plates?? Took gorilla power to get them to slide free.

Then I assembled everything and racked / fired on snap caps about 100 times. Yes, my thumbs
are sore from loading the snappers!

I'm a crazy nut about toys...er... tools, yeah, that's the ticket, TOOLS! I bought a laser
shaped like a .40 to bore sight pistols and zero rail mount lasers. Works good. I found that
at 20 feet, the gun as shipped had the dot to the left about 3-4 inches from where the sights
thought it should be and also about 8-10" (drum roll please........) HIGH. Yes, that's right.
The bore sight laser showed that the point of impact would be about 8-10" high, not low.

I started to zero the sights to the bore and uh oh.... dang battery in the laser is dead, so I
couldn't finish that off. grrrr.

Unfortunately, time and life are limiting me from running out and firing it today. Will have to wait
until tomorrow for that. As they say, updates as they happen.

My dislike list is pretty small so far. Mostly that the trigger pull is still pretty stout and the sear
trips close to the back wall. I think the pull will continue to smooth out with use, but it may
benefit from a fluff and buff.

Q: is there a link to show how to take the frame down and do that?

The trigger going to the back, is a mixed bag. I can see that in a carry gun you want to have the
trigger such that it only goes BANG! intentionally. So... I'll just grumble about it and leave it the
heck alone aside from a possible smoothing on the polish wheel.