PDA

View Full Version : AMT .380 backup..

Mokumbear
January 27, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have owned an AMT .380 Back Up for about 25 years.

I know there are those that think they are junk unless you lucked out and got a good one.

From my experience, they are fussy eaters.
Mine only seems to work well with MagTech or American Eagle.

When there is a problem it is generally FTF.

Personally, I feel this is a well made gun and perfect for CCW.

Before I start looking for a Ruger LCP, any advice on whether this
AMT can be a reliable carry gun.

I really do like this stainless steel pistol. After 20 years it looks like new.

bamaranger
January 28, 2010, 01:49 AM
Never owned one, but they seem the first of the flat, subcompact .380 autos we are seeing in such abundance today, just 15-20 years ago.

TDodge7
January 28, 2010, 03:18 AM
they still make the amt backup , but it's double action only now . tho really you're the best suited to make the call on if it's good for carry or not if you've owned it for 25 years , but there are a lot lighter choices out now ie. kel tec or lcp .

gyvel
January 28, 2010, 05:33 AM
Back in the 80s when I was still gunsmithing, our store ordered a half dozen of them. 5 out of 6 wouldn't fire out of the box. On the surface, everything seemed to work properly, but they still wouldn't fire, leaving a light hit. I spent several weeks trying to figure out the problem, trying everything from weaker firing pin return springs to heavier hammer springs, and everything logical in between.

Just by pure dumb luck I discovered that the hammers were cast oversize and the front edge of the hammer was dragging on the sear as it was released, slowing it down enough to prevent reliable ignition.

That told me that their QC was sadly lacking and was enough for me to stay away from the AMT and not recommend them to anyone.

The other problem was that the plastic grips and mag bases were pure crap and broke easily. Some components are held in place by the grips, never a good idea.

There are a lot better choices out there than the AMT .380, in my opinion.

five40five
January 28, 2010, 08:14 AM
This is for gyvel,Not the .380 but I have a AMT Hardballer and while it fires it always fails to eject,I've tryed 3 or 4 different springs but to no avail,also the 1st time I shot it the extractor broke,any suggestions?

Mokumbear
February 1, 2010, 07:14 PM
I was leaning towards replacing it with a Ruger LCP.

I was planning on visiting my local gun shop and checking on availability.

Too bad the AMT .380 can't be reasonably "rehabilitated".
It's in like new condition.
At the same time, I don't think I would trust it with my life, as is.

While it will fire fairly reliably, it is subject to both FTF and FTE on occasion. :mad:

dtaski
February 1, 2010, 08:04 PM
I owned a AMT .380 for 6 years and experienced the same problems. It is also very heavy for it's size.

I bought it for $150 and got $175 on trade in for a LCP.

rickyjames
February 1, 2010, 10:08 PM
i have a 380 single action amt backup on the end table next to me as i type. i bought this gun new about 25 years ago. i carried it when i first bought it shot it on occasion. it worked well enuff with most ammo, some hp ammo would hang up early on.

about 15 years ago i took it out of the safe, cleaned it up and started to shoot it. i shot it enuff to smooth it out and feel confident in the gun. i have carried it almost daily for the last fifteen years with no problems, where i go it goes and i almost never leave home without it. i shoot a few mags thru it every month and clean it and stick it back in my pocket. it still looks like new, the mags work very well (i have a couple 5 rd and 6 rd mags). no problems at all with either the plastic grips or mags as someone else stated. it is THE gun i carry the most and the LAST gun i would ever sell. i have a couple little springer 1911 45's, s&w 38's, taurus and rossie 357's and a little taurus pt145 that i like and also carry at times as a cc belt gun but when i do the little amt is still in my pocket. i love that little gun :)

Smilin Jack
February 2, 2010, 01:12 PM
I owned an AMT 1911 and it took a ton of work to get the thing to function reliably. The machine work on the inside looked like it was done in a Pakistani chop shop. Carried it for years but never felt quite sure of it...... Bought a CZ85 and never looked back!

rodwhaincamo
February 2, 2010, 01:17 PM
I owned an AMT Hardballer and it ate everything I fed it, which was primarily 230 grn +Ps. Was in a pinch and had to sell it. :(
No target gun, but it was definately reliable. Wish I still had it.

GunsAmerica Actual
February 2, 2010, 01:31 PM
My .45 DAO Backup has been my old reliable for about 20 years. I switched onto it and off of it periodically but always went back. I even bought another one a few years ago, but it has had issues and wasn't a proper backup, so I just continued to carry the original one, bought at Kittery Trading Post in Maine so long ago.

Then about two years ago I did my standard draw and fire test at the range that I do periodically and the gun went click. I pulled again and it fired. Next round it fired, then click. I figured that pocket lint had gotten into the firing pin area and was hindering the forward movement so I took it to a gunsmith to take apart proper and clean it. I don't mess with internals of guns when springs always seem to fly into the twilight zone.

He said, at the time, that AMT parts had disappeared with the company and that he couldn't get me a new pin or spring, but that it seemed to be working ok after a good internal cleaning. He test fired with standard Olin white box. I was happy that I got my gun back.

A couple weeks later I did my draw and fire at the range, and click, again, my favorite little pocket pistol let me down, so I put it away for a while, maybe a year, and carried my P10 or .38 airweight off and on instead. Then a couple months ago I decided to take my two AMTs to the range to see what they were up to again, and the old original Backup fired flawlessly from round one. I have since tested it a half a dozen times and it seems fine.

But alas...

I recently did a review of the Beretta Px4 Storm Subcompact for an article for our new magazine and I decided to keep the gun and put away my AMT for good. I just can't live with the possible option of "click" if the day ever comes that I need my gun for more than range tests. The Px4 comes out of my pocket as fast as a j-frame SW and is light, and it's 15 rounds of 9mm, as opposed to 6 of .45 in my backup.

I will most likely never sell my little AMTs, but their time has come. We are in the golden age of firearms right now. There is no need to carry a finicky old gun when you can go out and buy a gun off the shelf that will never let you down when your life depends on it. I even hear nothing but positive about the Kel-Tec, assuming you want to carry .380. My 2c.

The companion video of the Px4 is already on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZZu79hv26A

Niner4Tango
February 2, 2010, 03:29 PM
I just came into an AMT 380 backup by way of barter. It was filthy, but cleaned up real nice with just some light handling marks. It's an early model, I think, marked El Monte, Calif. It is SA, has clear plastic stocks on it and is an elegant looking little pistol.

First range session it shot fine, but consistently would not feed the last round from the mag. I just installed some Wolff springs - mag spring, recoil spring and firing pin spring. The mag and recoil springs were identical in all dimensions to the originals, but the free length of both of the Wolff springs was way longer than the ones in the pistol. It probably didn't need the firing pin spring, but it came in the pack. I'll try to re-post after the next range session if there was any improvement.

I've messed around with a few fussy autos, and I feel like I can get this one perking with the right combination of ammo, lube, springs, judicious polishing and holding my mouth right. We'll see...wish me luck.

Would it replace my PM9 or J-frame? Probably not. But, it is a cool little miniature pistol.

verdun59
February 2, 2010, 04:47 PM
I've always said when in the presence of an AMT, Run
don't walk to the nearest exit. The absolute worst gun
I ever owned, and that's after going back to the factory
on two occasions. It couldn't have been worse if it had come out of D.C.

Tom2
February 2, 2010, 06:00 PM
I had one once and I don't recall shooting anything except maybe ball in it. Just range firing for testing. Cannot recall that it was fussy or malfunctioned, but it did strike me as being a bit rough for an American made gun. Maybe if you do the handwork, like the cleanup and parts polishing, that they could not do at the factory, it would be fine. Maybe polish up stuff like breach face, feed ramp if any, and stuff that they do to smooth out rough 1911 copies, it would be acceptable. But that is only if cheap. I refuse to pay big money for a gun and then spend more to make it run right. A real honest collectable might be different case.

Ryan044
February 6, 2010, 12:06 PM
last issue of American Rifleman didn't have a lot good to say about the lcp and personally havn't heard a whole lot good elsewhere.
Maybe a little more refining is needed?

rdmallory
February 6, 2010, 03:03 PM
I owned a AMT Back up for about 25 years also. Must of got one of the good ones.
Matter of fact it is what I qualified with for my CCDW. Always hurt with hot loads but never had a FTF. It would FTL with hollow points though.

Sold it and bought a Keltec 3AT and it shot OK but I never like the looks of it, it made the AMT look good. Never liked a gun with a plastic trigger.

Sold it now I am trying to find a Kahr p380 to carry when I can't carry a real gun.

Doug

laktrash
February 6, 2010, 04:08 PM
I have a 380 backup that I bought new in late 70's or early 80's its a single action with thumb safety and safety in grip. I have never had any issues at all with it. I carried it back then in my hip pocket with a hankerchief to hide the outline while running a beer route on bad side of town. l look back and think what was I thinking anyway its been a good little gun but I wouldn't trust the safety I think it could work its way down to fire position I also have a hardballer that won I on a football board about the same time. You coudn't run anything thru it I mean jamamatic. Had friend replace barrell (colt I think) and spring and also has been a great gun. I love it. Would I trust either for carry? I doubt it I have much better options that I trust far more.

HisSoldier
February 6, 2010, 04:43 PM
I even hear nothing but positive about the Kel-Tec, assuming you want to carry .380. My 2c.

You must not spend too much time reading about them. I trust mine now but had to work it over several times. The trigger pin worked down out of the axis pin hole and wasn't even able to get a click. I finally took it all the way down and set that pin back in place with green loctite. There is no way I'd trust a KT without going through it, and frankly getting into the guts that deep takes some real effort and time, not worth it IMHO.

Samtu_Ray
February 6, 2010, 05:34 PM
I was carrying back then too...but times have changed. We didn't have the likes of a Keltec PF9...super light, super thin...it was hard to resist change.

Especially to move to a full service 9m/m in essentially the same size package.

christcorp
February 25, 2010, 01:08 AM
Mokumbear; as many will say, the AMT appears to be a hit or miss gun. Yours seems to be a hit; except it is picky with ammo. How much ammo have you tried. I have found that Hornady Critical Defense ammo is shorter in the mag, and works in a lot of guns that normally have issues with ammo. Have you tried it? Also, Corbon Power-Ball. Simulates a FMJ, but expands like a hollow point. The reason i mention this is: You AMT seems reliable. If you can find a good hollow point that works in it, and it's mostly for defensive purposes and you're not planning on shooting 100's of rounds a month through it as a plinker; then I suggest saving your money and keeping the AMT.

I just picked up a used AMT from a co-worker. He's had it a very long time. It's a single action, made in Covine California. He was having feeding issues and a trigger issue. My suspicion was that he'd let it sit, literally for a couple of years, then take it out and shoot it. No lubricating, same rounds in the magazine, etc... Also; he MIXED Stacked his magazine with FMJ and Winchester Silvertip ammo. I told him I'd look at it. Because of NO LUBE, the trigger assembly jumped off it's spring. Once I cleaned it up and lubed it; and used the same ammo in the magazine and didn't mix it up; it shot perfectly. I went through a full box of 50 FMJ Winchester, without a glitch. I then went through 20 rounds of the Critical Defense Ammo without 1 problem. He said I could still buy the gun cheap if I wanted it because he'd rather put the money towards something else. (We both have a LOT of guns, and money isn't the issue). So I got the gun and 2 magazines for $100. Do I trust this pistol? Yes. Is it the greatest pistol? No. But there are uses for this gun. So, if your use is strictly defensive and not as a plinker; find the right ammo and keep the AMT. You don't gain anything with an LCP.

Satchmoeddie
June 3, 2018, 02:34 PM
There is no great skill required to make the SA or DAO .380 Backups work. A Dremel, and or some die sinker files, plus some grease and they become fairly reliable little pistols. AMT as a company was a bunch of California a--holes. Customer service was somewhere between non-existent, and a room full of misanthropic anti-social ---ksuckers who enjoyed being rude and condescending on the telephone. That and a few too many lawsuits are why Arcadia Machine Tool went broke. I won't say that any of my AMT Backups look like Khyber Valley guns, or 1950s Chinese Mystery Pistols. They look like someone half-*ssed knew what they were doing, and at least tried. Sometimes they got it right, and sometimes they didn't. I'd guess that AMT was a -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-ty company to work for too. The guns look like they had a huge turnover in employees, thus no one really knew what they were doing, and when they figured it out, it was time to find a better job, where you weren't working for a bunch of ___holes. I imagine they probably paid $4-$6 an hour, too. You won't retain any beginning machinists with those wages. AMT and Randal were the first stainless guns made. There was a learning curve, with stainless steel, and they were both quite far behind it as far as galling goes, so use some Permatex C5 antiseize copper grease on the slide, and the bottom of the bolt. (It's the stuff new Glocks come slathered with) Use a die sinker hook file to clean up the feed ramp. Reface the bottom of the bolt, and if the hammer drags, file a little off it. The trigger is just going to suck. Deal with it! Find ammo that works, and it's an okay "backup gun". I would NOT rely on anything AMT as my primary means of defense, but I have used the .380 Backup all by itself in the past, and it worked when I needed it to work. I don't recommend tearing into an AMT beyond field stripping. I have, and it is a clever design, but some of it is kind of janky. I have a more intimate knowledge of how the trigger bar/disconnector works, on the SA guns. Yes, they can slamfire, but not nearly as frequently as the POS Davis .380.

MTT TL
June 3, 2018, 03:42 PM
Holy Gun Ghost Thread Resurrection Batman! Snarky comments reply to an eight year old question seems a little over the top to me.

glockman55
June 3, 2018, 07:52 PM
I have the .45 acp AMT Back Up as well.. goes bang every time.. very stiff trigger pull https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107197&d=1521748788

Ibmikey
June 3, 2018, 11:58 PM
A bunch of us at the PD purchased Backup’s for that very purpose, these were early pistols with wood grips and steel floor plate. Most of the pistols were not reliable enough to be carried at anytime, the later replacement mags some bought had plastic followers which broke within a short time.
Several officers kept the little pistol and I got some to work most of the time, a couple of pistols purchased a year or two later had plastic grips, I remember one clear one black...both broken!
One can do much better than the AMT these days.

sarge83
June 4, 2018, 07:58 AM
I have an early SA version with the clear plastic panels. So far it has worked flawlessly. It's heavy and recoil is stout and I have carried it at times but was never comfortable enough with it to carry it condition one. The kel-tec P32 came along and I never looked back. My AMT .380 has resided in my safe since then.

RC20
June 4, 2018, 11:55 AM
Great gun if you can put it in someone's ear.

DaleA
June 4, 2018, 05:03 PM
Great gun if you can put it in someone's ear.

Perhaps, but from what I read from others in this thread the clicking noise as you pull the trigger might really irritate the guy.

(And yeah, I know this is a 2010 thread but nobody else seems bothered by it, maybe only MT TTL has noticed the date.)

Ricklin
June 4, 2018, 05:10 PM
AFAIK AMT has been dead and gone for a few years now. There are a fair amount of used guns out there.
I just can't see anyone today buying this pistol given the better alternatives now.

HisSoldier
June 6, 2018, 12:59 PM
When I was younger I used to get rid of a gun I didn't trust, but hanging around gunsmith forums I've learned how to make the unreliable gun reliable.

Someone may say it's not right having to do that but for me if I like a gun otherwise I'll tweak the reliability.

Most of the semi autos suffer from the same kinds of problems, balancing springs against springs and forces, extractors poorly shaped, tight chambers and even short chambers.
For the unhandy it's not reasonable to jump right in unless you're willing to scrap the gun, but hang around the smithing columns and, especially, look for drawings of how extractors should be formed, how ejectors should be formed too, and how to tell when some former bubba has ruined the gun beyond repair. There are many detailed explanations which form a good understanding in your mind over time, so that, at first at least, something you would have missed sticks out like a sore thumb and you can fix it!

What a feeling of empowerment that gives.

It's true that many pistols are assembled by people whose last job was market clerk or housewife, the original design was proven functional and then they leave the fitting of production guns to people who have never even held a gun before!

I'm a machinist, so mechanical doings are second nature for me, but still I had to learn from others what to look for in handguns.

There are many books cheaply available that outline basic common problems with automatics too. Once you think you see what is causing the problem take it to a friendly gunsmith and ask if you might be right, or take a photo and show it here, because often a needle file and five minutes light effort, or a magazine change even, is all it needs.

ammo.crafter
June 6, 2018, 02:47 PM
I have never had a FTF or FTE; perhaps I did get a good one. The fact remains it has never failed me and is a great backup gun.
I like the stainless steel weight as this is a small pistol the SS helps with recoil.

JERRYS.
June 6, 2018, 02:54 PM
in the mid to late 80s and early 90s the AMT guns popped up a lot in the L.E. circles I was in. I tried the original S/A AMT 380 and liked it, considering I had relatively nothing to compare it to other than my Walther ppk. I soon bought the DAO version and other than its 45 pound trigger pull it was acceptable for what I had intended it to be (I could not get a Seecamp32 at the time). I also tried the AMT 45 and it had a much lighter trigger pull downwards near 35 pounds. the recoil was not ridiculously harsh but more than I cared to endure. I eventually settle on a S&W 3913NL and a S&W model 37 with a bobbed hammer for my needs at that time.

Charlie98
June 6, 2018, 10:53 PM
I carried a AMT DAO .380 for a few years... not much to like about it except that it beats being unarmed. I didn't have problems with ball ammo, I don't recall if I had HP ammo in it or not. The deal breaker was the slide... it cracked in half right under the ejection port. A trip back to AMT and it had a new slide, a trip to the next gun show and I had a new Colt .380 instead.

Mike Irwin
June 7, 2018, 08:40 AM
Do you have the single action AMT, or the double action?

Word of warning...

Early production single action AMT Back Ups had a very uncertain manual safety.

In some cases the safety would disengage, and the pistol would fire, when the safety was moved through less than 10% of its arc.

That fact featured prominently in a law suit in California in the early 1990s where Mac Scott (former officer and later gunsmith) served as an expert witness.

I actually sold him my Mother's AMT Backup because it was one of the early ones and the safety was off with very little upward push.

Once the trial was over he encased it in Lucite with a sign... "In case of emergency, get a real gun!" :D

JERRYS.
June 7, 2018, 09:20 AM
mine had a "thumb" safety AND a grip safety that had to be engaged/disengaged for the gun to fire.

Mike Irwin
June 7, 2018, 10:42 AM
Yours is the single action, the same kind my Mom had.

Hopefully the manual safety on yours works better than those on the original design.

Auto5
June 8, 2018, 06:27 AM
I had one of the double action models back in the '80s. I don't recall any particular problems with it, but my current LCP is lighter, easier to conceal and 100% reliable.

MillCreek
June 8, 2018, 02:05 PM
I bought a couple of the .380 and 9 mm DAO models back in the 80's and 90's, and I still have them today. Properly greased, they work just fine for me. There are much lighter-weight options available today, but back in the day, they were cutting edge in terms of a small DAO pistol in stainless.

lonniemike
June 8, 2018, 03:45 PM
Thanks Mike. I'll have to check the safety my retired really old nonAMT, its labled as an OMC, the original company. As the safety is always in the red position, I never worried about the thumb safety. Gee Jerrys 45 and 35, mine started at about 20 pounds. But she slicked up real good to a 7 pound pull.
I'm thinking of retiring my light 380 for a light 9 soon. BestAll