PDA

View Full Version : Question about modding a 1911 hammer..

defjon
January 25, 2010, 02:43 PM
I really hope to own a stainless 1911 in the future...that fits my budget...I was thinking, if a mil spec ended up giving me hammer bite (I started a thread about it, and it seems about 50/50. Some get it, some don't), would it affect proper function of the gun to kind of bob the hammer a bit?

I was wondering if it might affect the weight/inertia of the hammer and thus function of the gun. If I was getting hammer bite, I was thinking I could shave just a bit off the back of the hammer so that it sits more flush against the beaver tail.

I could file or use a dremmel, and it would be less than installing a new sear and hammer and beavertail..it might look a little odd, but I care about function more than looks...

Anyone know the answer to this?

doctruptwn
January 25, 2010, 02:55 PM
Nope, won't effect a thing unless you run into some isse with really hard primers. I have 2 that are bob'd, 1 on a 22lr 1911, the other on a 45 acp 1911. As for hammer bite yep it can happen, been bitten myself. Blood is ok as a makeshift lubricate.

defjon
January 25, 2010, 03:32 PM
Haha.

I used to own a sistema colt that bit me BAD once, probably needed stitches in retrospect. Blood all over the place! Weird because hammer bite happens so fast you dont' even really feel it. Just look down and finally notice it looks like Friday the 13th Part 4 all over your hand...

Good to know though, thanks! I suspected it would be okay..we're only talking a couple milimeters off the hammer..

drail
January 25, 2010, 07:06 PM
I have bobbed 1911 hammers to the point where there is nothing sticking out from the rear of the slide when it is forward. This is called a speed hammer and lots of guys ran them in IPSC years ago (some probably still do) It has never failed to fire. As long as the mainspring power is not reduced you won't have a problem.