PDA

View Full Version : a tale of two AK47s

Celo456
January 24, 2010, 11:02 PM
Need a little advice. Looking at 2 ak47s. Both are in the same price range. One is brand new made in Romania. The other has fired approximately 2000 rounds. But the used rifle was made in the Soviet Union. The rifles appears to be in good shape and though used, I beleive it was cared for. Nit to mention the reputation the ak has for being durable, 2000 rounds may mean nothing. So the question....brand new romanian or yugoslav, versus a used but apparently healthy Russian?

PatriaLibre
January 25, 2010, 12:15 AM
The Russian will hold its value and to be perfectly honest, 2000 rounds isnt a whole helluva lot. I would go with the Russian, especially if the two are similarly priced. Not to talk down about the Romanian Ak's. Alot of guys have great experiences with theirs. But why not get supplied from the source? Russian.

HorseSoldier
January 25, 2010, 12:18 AM
Is the Russian one a converted Saiga?

The round count isn't a big deal -- if anything it lets you know everything is put together right and/or the conversion back to AK format from a Saiga was done correctly.

I'd go with the Russian over the Romanian.

preston897
January 25, 2010, 12:53 AM
if it was made in the soviet union would that mean it is a milled reciever being how old it would be? im very partial to the russian guns. but thats just me

Celo456
January 25, 2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the info. Will see if I can get more specifics, but I just read, and confirmed my own sentiments in yours I'm leaning toward the Russian made.......

preston897
January 25, 2010, 03:00 AM
well make sure you post some pics when you pick it up!

CGSteve8718
January 25, 2010, 05:54 AM
if it was made in the soviet union would that mean it is a milled reciever being how old it would be? im very partial to the russian guns. but thats just me

There are no legitimate 100% milled Type III Russian AK rifles here other than perhaps a few rare war bringbacks. If the rifle you are talking about is in fact Russian made, it would have to be a stamped Saiga, which are relatively new. The stamped AKM, AK 74, and subsequent variations were already fielded well before the dissolution of the USSR, so it wouldn't neccessarily be a milled rifle because it was made in the USSR.

Also, neither the Romanian or the Yugoslavian rifles are 100% parts from the respective countries (unless the Yugo is a pre ban but doubtful).

Get the Saiga if it was converted properly. Second, get the Yugoslavian variant, lastly the Romanian. All however, will still function and be fine.