PDA

View Full Version : Sigma as investment??

Tommy69Z
January 24, 2010, 06:54 PM
I picked up a Sigma 9mm before Christmas to get in on the rebate, I am trying to pick up a gun here or there when a bargain/steal; anyway, I can still buy the Sigma 40 at $299 and the rebates are extended, so would it be a good investment to pick up a 40?? I am just starting to try and collect a few firearms with no plans to ever sell, unless the NEED arises.

Walt Sherrill
January 24, 2010, 08:50 PM
The SIGMAs are not bad guns, and since S&W seems willing to improve the triggers if an owner has a complaint, you could probably do worse. But I doubt you'll ever get as much as you paid for it if you try to sell it.

While many gun owners think otherwise, guns are seldom good investments. They ARE a source of cash if you need some quickly, though. (And they are probably better than other things you might own if you need cash, quickly.)

INFLATION is part of the problem: if you bought a gun for $299 in 2005 and sold it in 2008 for $299, you would have lost buying power -- as it would take $327 in 2008 to buy the same thing that you paid $299 for, just three years earlier. Inflation is booger.

Here's an inflation calculator -- try it.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi (http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi)

If you think another SIGMA is a good value for $299, buy it -- but don't buy it as an investment.

Keep in mind, too, that SIGMAs aren't all that highly regarded among most shooters.

You and I know that they're probably a good value for the money spent, but not everyone agrees. S&W had some problems when they first introduced the SIGMA line, and a gun maker doesn't get a "do-over" when one of their gun lines make a bad first impression. Because of that bad first impression, which has lingered, a SIGMA will likely be harder to sell than other guns that were bought for about the same price.

lambertsteeth
January 24, 2010, 09:23 PM
Investment, No.
An under-rated gun, with good reliability and accuracy, Yes.
With a little research on the net, you can easily make the factory trigger much lighter.

allenomics
January 24, 2010, 09:53 PM
Sigma is a bare bones pistol. It's not bad looking, a bit of a bear to shoot, but it is not an investment gun.

Onward Allusion
January 24, 2010, 09:59 PM
I would not call a Sigma an investment. They are decent pistols for the money and they are fine shooters. Lot's of folks consider their trigger to be the worst part of the pistol, but like I'd said many times before... If you shoot revolver in DA, it should be rote to shoot accurately with a factory Sigma trigger.

We have a couple of them are in our BOBs.

Tommy69Z
Sigma as investment??

Tommy69Z
January 24, 2010, 10:04 PM
I guess investment was a poor choice of words, not sure the right word, but having the 9mm, which so far I like, just wondered if it was a good idea to pick up the 40 also while I can still get it for $299 + the rebate, it would put me in another caliber, which would also mean more of another caliber ammo. May hold out for something else to come along.

bblatt11
January 24, 2010, 11:19 PM
I would hold out for another handgun. I bought my Sigma when they had that extra magazines deal in 2008. The only thing that makes it a marginally ok purchase in retrospect is that they gave me extra extra magazines, so the pistol itself is well-supplied.

If you're still intent on a Sigma in .40, put a couple of boxes through the 9mm first and decide if you really want two of those lying around.

Elvishead
January 25, 2010, 04:53 PM
Yes, it's a good investment.

Logs
January 25, 2010, 05:00 PM
Should have invested in the Smith M&P when they were $369 at Buds now over $500 better return on a MUCH BETTER Gun....

allenomics
January 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
If you are proficient with Sigma, buy them both. The trigger poundage and pull are too much for me to stay on target.