PDA

View Full Version : Officers colt or defender?

waltfraz
January 18, 2010, 03:08 PM
I am looking at buying a officers colt series 80 stainless or a colt defender.Which would you buy and why?I don't like wrap around grips on defender and dealers don't know if you can change them to standard grip.Older officers colt cost almost as much as new defender.What kind of alloy is used on defender frame?I had a officers colt and sold it and I really liked the way it shot and would like to buy another but$800 for a used one compared to $850. for new has me thinking mybe I should buy a new one.

lambertsteeth
January 18, 2010, 08:53 PM
I love my defender, but they are a little less pleasant to shoot than the officers. If you are looking for a ccw which is about as concealable as it gets for a 1911, the defender is your gun. If you can live with something a little larger, the officer is your gun. The reason I love the defender so much is that with quality leather, it is very easy to carry. I put Crimson Trace grips on mine, which are not really wrap arounds like the original hogues.

KyJim
January 18, 2010, 09:33 PM
dealers don't know if you can change them to standard grip.
Yes, you can. Just personal choice on Officer v. Defender. The Defender does have better sights than most Officers but I like the extra 1/2 inch length of the barrel.

ferretray
January 18, 2010, 09:53 PM
The Colt Defender is an excellent CCW choice. A plus is that the Defender is in production. The Officers ACP/Compact has been out of production for a number of years.
I miss my Defender and will buy another one day. My son carries one daily and reports excellent accuracy and reliability.
That alloy frame really makes a difference for extended carry.

michael t
January 19, 2010, 12:55 AM
I carry my Defender more than either of my 2 officers Its reliable and I like the weight .I don't find recoil all that bad either.
Their are a zillion grips out their The Defender take same size grips as the Officer model Esmeralda has a nice selection of compact grips.
So get a Defender stick them ugly wrap around rubber things :barf: in box or sell on e bay . Get some fine wood and start carrying