PDA

View Full Version : Ak47's

Nore
January 18, 2010, 05:55 AM
Witch on should I get? Is the Russian one really worth it or should I get the American made one? :confused:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct847.aspx

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct655.aspx

Patriot78
January 18, 2010, 08:23 AM
My suggestion would be to view these in person and handle them. If you haven't had the chance to do so already. As far ar reliabilty, I always have HEARD the Russian AK's are top of the line followed by both Egyptian and Chinese. Maybe Yugo comes in after these. Probably your best bet would be to see them up front and not go by what you see on the net, unless this isn't an option.
My experience was like this. I walked into my local gun shop looking for ammo for my Swede Mauser, although I had been waiting for the right AK to come along, I didn't expect to find it there on that day. Next thing you know, it was love at first site. I found me an Egyptian sweety, uh, I mean AK in the usual 7.62x39. The rest is...... Well, we are living happily ever after.
After I had handled it, I just couldn't walk out the door w/o it.
Hope this helps. Patience is a virtue.

BTW, I didn't find the ammo for my Mauser. I didn't walk out empty handed though.:D

Skans
January 18, 2010, 09:26 AM
I'm not a big fan of the newer "made in Russia" AK's. I used to have a Polytech (Chinese) stamped receiver AK and it was better qality (both receiver and parts) than most Russian AK's I've seen.

I agree with "have to see both" before indicating which is better. I have an AK built by Lancaster on a 1.5mm receiver with a matching numbers polish parts kit. You need to check if your russian AK comes with a chrome lined barrel - if not, I'd pass. Is the receiver 1mm or 1.5mm? If it's 1.5mm with chrome barrel, I'd lean toward the Russian.

One of the nicest stamped receiver AK's I've seen was on a Global Trades 1.6mm receiver. However, they stuck an american made barrel on it as one of the compliance parts. American made AK barrels are not chrome lined!!!

woody wood
January 18, 2010, 10:32 AM
i have the lancaster build "rusian red" and it does have chrome barrel.
it seems to be a nice shooter-have put about 500 rounds through it.
the rusian saga is a good build too-if it is the same as my saiga 12 stamped
reciver.the lancaster has a nodak spud reciver,which is supose to be good?
lancaster come with lifetime warranty.
make sure to get a chrome lined barrel,so you can use cheap corrosive ammo.
but you still will have to clean after shooting.
i would like to have both!!

christcorp
January 18, 2010, 12:43 PM
For the Russian Izmash arsenal made one, you are paying for MARKETING HYPE. You can buy a Saiga, which is EXACTLY the same gun; built in the EXACT same plant. But it's made as a "Sporter Rifle" so it could be imported. (Guess what, so is the one you are looking at; and an American company MODIFIED it to sell to you, and charge you $550 MORE FOR IT.

You can buy a Saiga for $350. Then spend about $200 once you have it, to put back on ALL the original parts you are looking at. Then; the price is about $550-$600. You save $300-$400 on the same rifle.

And yes, the Russian Izmash arsenal model is better than the others you are looking at. The others are made of USED and QC rejected (For military use) parts. The Russian Izmash arsenal are ALL NEW PARTS from the same assembly line that is making Military AK weapons.

But just to be clear; the $939 rifle you are looking at, is the same rifle as the $350 saiga; but you've paid an American Company to replace the parts with traditional Ak looking parts. You can do the exact same thing yourself, as time and money permits, on average of about a few minutes per item, and do it all for about $200. Thus saving yourself about $400.

TPAW
January 18, 2010, 07:16 PM
If you can spend the money, get an Arsenal, American made with the milled receiver. I bought the Sam 7 years ago. Extremely accurate, unlike other AK's out there that I shot. With cheap Wolf ammo, it will hold 2 inch groups at 100 yards using the factory open sights. I was quite impressed. It's a little expensive, but you hit what your aiming at, and it's built like a tank. Very solid.
I see the prices have really gone up. Try to find a used one. When I bought mine, they were going for a little over five hundred.

http://www.arsenalinc.com/