PDA

View Full Version : what are your thoughts on the 7mm wsm cartridge?

benny7mmWSM
January 13, 2010, 08:23 PM
i just was bored and want to know what others thought on the 7mm wsm cartridge and other short magnums tell us your expirances.

Groundhog34
January 13, 2010, 08:32 PM
Why does the world need another calibre? It only real value is a shorter bolt but it does nothing the Rem 7 mag or Weatherby 7 mag cannot do. The answer is marketing, something for those with too much money to buy.

rickdavis81
January 13, 2010, 08:34 PM
He's right. It does nothing that the 7rm can't do. But if you reload the brass can last quite a bit longer.

benny7mmWSM
January 13, 2010, 09:11 PM
in my expirence, i tried to copy the federal vital shock round 140 nosler b.t. they rate them at 3310 fps and found my hand loaad is pushing 3400 from a win 70 24 inch barrel and moa at 100 yrds, im not sure if the 7mm rem mag could perform that, not knockin it just never had one, i had a 300 mag once that was a beast, shot whitetail at60yards with a 180gr barns triple shock and the deer stood ther for 10 secs and i could see daylight through it, then feel over deader than a door stop, to me that is awesome performance, i wouldnt mind see what 300 wsm would do might not be much diffance but god bless magnum cartridges....

ARDogman
January 13, 2010, 10:11 PM
Could see daylight through a wound channel?

jimbob86
January 13, 2010, 10:16 PM
Hyperbole. Either that or he' got access to some pretty nifty boolits the rest of us have never seen or heard of.

ranger dave
January 13, 2010, 10:53 PM
the big problem is when you want to rebarrel the thing cause $2 a round sucks you have a short action with a mag bolt face you dont have alot of choices then. the short mags were a huge waste i.m.o. they dont do anything another round all readys does

LanceOregon
January 14, 2010, 03:37 AM
The only 7mm rifle that I ever saw make a wound channel where you could see daylight was during a varmint hunt. I cannot imagine being able to see through any deer, much less a good sized whitetail.

This photo is of a Remington Varminter in 7mm-08 that was used to shoot a large jackrabbit. Ammo was a rather hot handload using Speer's 110 gr TNT varmint bullet.

As you can see, one can see daylight in the wound channel. The TNT bullet really lived up to its name, as the rabbit literally exploded when hit.

The two parts were about 7 ft apart when we found them. So we put them back next to one another to take this photo.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2703/4273080279_3ce390cd2c_o.jpg

benny7mmWSM
January 14, 2010, 07:37 AM
i can load good target loads for bout 1.13 per round and good 400 yard hunting rounds for 1.46 ea, thus i can load good huntin round same brand bullet nosler balistic tip in my 270 win 1.24 ea, what .25 cent differance. and as far as seeing daylight through a whitetail it is possible, not for the hole time but for just a few seconds but when i cleaned that deer i damn near get my fist through the channel, that was with a 300 win mag. not a shorty

mikejonestkd
January 14, 2010, 07:40 AM
LanceOregon,

It appears that you held too far back on the rabbit, How far did you have to track him, and how long did it take for him to bleed out? :D

The short mags are not doing well in the NY area, judging from the large number of them in the used racks in gun stores. The WSSM are all but extinct here.

GallowGlass
January 14, 2010, 01:39 PM
Don't know anybody shootin' the caliber here in Montana. Kind of obscure.270WSM is more popular,they raffle m off all the time.Whats that tell you?Most gun writers say that WSM's will stick around tho cuz of their 'niche.

rickdavis81
January 14, 2010, 07:00 PM
Another great reason to own a Savage. If you rebarrel a wsm and don't want another wsm change the bolt head for $25.

LanceOregon
January 14, 2010, 07:38 PM
mikejonestkd:

That was my hunting buddy's rifle, not mine. Here is a photo of my Colt Model 6724 that I used during the same hunt:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/hunting/BUNNY2B.jpg

The 223 Remington is no where near as powerful as the 7mm-08 However, my bunnies also died instantly. This really was not a fantastic shot either, as it was also placed too far back. When shooting varmints, though, shot placement is not that critical.

The jackrabbits were only 200 to 250 yards away, so it was quite easy to pick them off. For some odd reason they did not realize at first that they were in danger, despite the fact that their buddies were exploding all around them.

Getting back to the 7mm WSM, from a technical standpoint, it is probably the best of all of the WSM cartridges. The problem that it has faced is the glut of 7mm cartridges that are already on the market.

kdog70
January 14, 2010, 07:52 PM
With the right custom set up a 7wsm can do a lot of things.(0-1760yard shots)

Sure other rounds can do it, maybe even better but if you want a cool looking short fat cartridge I wont stop you. I have shot the 7wsm, 25wssm, and the 243 wssm and couldn't find a reason to complain.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek071.html

That is just one of the Wsm highlighted over there.
my two cents
kdog

7mmWSM
January 23, 2010, 01:14 AM
As you can see from my screen name I am kind of fond of this chambering. I bought one Winchester Model 70 and liked it so well I now have a matching set. Same rifle, same caliber, same scope, and am in the long and time consuming process of finding that special load that both rifles like. It's a real labor of love. Right now I'm experimenting with Nosler BT's and CT BT's. It is true that the cartridge did not catch on like the 270WSM and the 300WSM but since I'm strictly a handloader it matters not to me. I find the recoil on my 7mmWSM shooting 140 grain pills as about the same as my 30-06 with 150 grainer's. And that is with a rifle that is about 3/4 pounds lighter in the 7. There are my thoughts for what they are worth.

youp
January 23, 2010, 03:56 AM
I have one. Bought it because I was simple enough to believe the main stream gunscribes. Really came home how much they are willing to prostitute themselves.

It is accurate with 140 and 160 gr bullets. I am into this one too far to ever get rid of it. I would never recommend it to anyone for the reasons stated by others. Woulda, shoulda, coulda bought a Remington Mag.

Jekyll
January 23, 2010, 02:38 PM
This looks more like a texting thread than a forum thread!

rodwhaincamo
January 23, 2010, 03:34 PM
I like the idea of the efficiency of the cartridges, as well as having a magnum in a shorter action. Does the WSM have anything on a Rem Mag? Well, yes. It can give performance = to or better than with less powder, in a lighter, more compact rifle with no more recoil than a Rem Mag. Will I buy one? Probably not. I can reach out well enough with a standard cartridge.

rudy270
January 23, 2010, 07:54 PM
Well you don't need the wssm or the wsm. The only reason i have them is i like what they do when they hit from far an near.As far as recoil on them all there is none you can tell

GeauxTide
January 23, 2010, 10:44 PM
My buddy's Model 70 7mmWSM recoils much more than my 70 Classic SS in 7mmRM because it weighs a pound less. The recoil velocity is surprising. Even if the components last longer, you'll have a hard time making up your money at twice the cost of 7mmRM brass.

Lawyer Daggit
January 23, 2010, 11:05 PM
I agree with the comments about marketing. I acquired the original 7mm- the 7x57 some years ago and have never seen any need to progress to anything 'new' or 'faster'.

The original is often the best.